Post that got banned Re: Axl's live voice

SterileEyes

In the Chicago reviews, people kept saying Axl's voice was inconsistent - loud and then a split second later drowned out with no physical explanation (singing just as hard, mic in the same position, etc).

I pointed out that while I do believe he doesn't use backing tracks, almost all singers have an effect on their voice live that (similar to a tuner) detects out of tune notes and automatically takes them out of the mix.

He's sick and had a not-so-great night, but I'm sure he still relies on that effect much less than most people.

Anyway, that post got deleted.

Edited by SterileEyes

I once owned an autotune pitch corrector, there aren't many out there, but it was able to correct real time, if used right, it won't produce that "cher" effect like in the song believe. but, it will on'y pull in very stray notes, and be very limited in what it can do, it cannot make any joe schmoe sound like pavarotti, it just helps things along a bit.

Those inconsistancies could be a hundred different things, bad mic, bad receiver, bad cables, interference, you name it, it can go wrong. and when it does, it can be a real pain to find, and a real pain to deal with.

But as for any

Such an effect would cause latency in his voice mix and wouldn't be viable in a live show. Also, any autotune or vocoder sounds like a warbling effect, it doesn't "remove" notes, it just corrects wave forms by averaging a sample out.

The effect Sterile Eyes is speaking of is not an auto-tune and does not change the pitch (or any characteristic of the wave). It is much simpler than auto-tune. It knows what notes to allow through. For instance, you could set it up to only allow an A at 440 hertz through. If you sing any other frequency, it will drop the volume/amplitude of the signal by a certain amount (usually NOT all the way to silence).

Such an effect would cause latency in his voice mix and wouldn't be viable in a live show. Also, any autotune or vocoder sounds like a warbling effect, it doesn't "remove" notes, it just corrects wave forms by averaging a sample out.

The effect Sterile Eyes is speaking of is not an auto-tune and does not change the pitch (or any characteristic of the wave). It is much simpler than auto-tune. It knows what notes to allow through. For instance, you could set it up to only allow an A at 440 hertz through. If you sing any other frequency, it will drop the volume/amplitude of the signal by a certain amount (usually NOT all the way to silence).

The problem with that is that the voice doesn't sing at a single sine wave of 440hz, there are many frequencies stacked on top of each other. I don't think this is the case. He might have just had the mic at different levels.

Edited by Giblet

The problem with that is that the voice doesn't sing at a single sine wave of 440hz, there are many frequencies stacked on top of each other. I don't think this is the case. He might have just had the mic at different levels.

There are all sorts of things that could actually be happening, but this filter effect is very very common. You are correct about the human voice, but it doesn't matter. These filters can pick it up easily (and the newer digital versions are smart enough to count the other frequencies as well).

If you've ever used a simple digital guitar tuner, you can usually play an entire C chord and it will register as C, no matter where on the neck you play it and no matter what inversion you may be using. It's the nature of frequency counting. (this doesn't ALWAYS work, but these kinds of guitar tuners are pretty crude anyway).

This filter is very similar in principle to a feedback eliminator, another common real-time filter in most (if not all) stage setups. A feedback eliminator cuts the volume to frequencies that find their way from the speakers back into the microphone.

wireless mics and earpieces are very sketchy and Axl uses both. he's always having trouble with them. i guarantee that is the source of this as well. i've heard enough bad notes on this tour to know that he is certainly not using any type of pitch correction or gate.

Edited by artfromtex

In the Chicago reviews, people kept saying Axl's voice was inconsistent - loud and then a split second later drowned out with no physical explanation (singing just as hard, mic in the same position, etc).

Somethings up, because

the EXACT same thing happened in Worsester, EXACT.

I think his voice is fried and there are just certain notes he cant hit, but hes trying.

I posted my review in the setlist thread, but from where I was (upper deck, right of stage from audience) you could clearly hear that there were mic static issues all night long. Sometimes it was barely noticable, sometimes it was absolutlety horrible, but every time he opened his mouth there was some static from the wireless system.

Use common sense here folks and quit making fucking excuses for Axl. He is a professional musician with 20+ years of experience. Using a professional sound set up with experienced pople on the board. Endosements up the ass and money to go along with it to get the best possible set up that any musician could hope for. And everyone wants to blame the equipment? Get real. Axl's set up and issues are of his own doing. He purposely does not want his iffy voice very audible in the mix, because he knows his voice isn't that consistent anymore. The limiters, compressors and/or pitch correctors cause his voice to cut out. You would think, that if he really cared, he would have fixed this a long time ago. Just listen to ANY soundboard recording where his voice is abnormally loud. He is out of tune, weak, and not even "singing" even in his owh special way. Burrying it in the mix hides all of his vocal flaws.

Yes there is some sort of filter or effect on his voice- it was present at the Chicago show. I have my a full set of equipment, mics, PA etc, so I do have a clue what I'm talking about and what I heard at the show.

Bach sounded fine during GNR and his own set. Why didn't he have problems?

Axls set-up had been like this since 2001 and his voice has never cut through the mix well. It's not that hard to turn the fader up a bit to bring it through. Definitely not so complicated that it can't be solved after 5 years of touring with the same setup.

Vocals are probably the easiest part of the mix.

Quit making excuses for Axl concert after conert, year after year. He will sound awesome on the CD, but live he's inconsistent, and he knows this damn well. There is no other reasonable explanation for the poor vocal sound that has stuck with him for 5 years.

Read the rest of the concert revirews from now to eternity... same issues different show. At best his voice just cuts through the mix, but is never the dominant feature of the song.