Green Day- American Idiot

adnan

I changed my mind about this album.

Opening with the riff-based title track, Green Day's grandiose, sprawling, messy, and all too ambitious concept album/rock opera American Idiot gets off to a good start, but soon starts sounding like the Kinks attempting a Tommy-esque album. The opening track is one of the highlights, a catchy 3 minute punk tune that brings back memories of Green Day's mid-90's albums, but hopes that this album might be a return to that sort of music are demolished as soon as the 9 minute long, grandiose, and initially quite insufferable Jesus of Suburbia starts playing.

After the second track, it becomes all too clear what Green Day were attempting here. This is a concept album about life in 21st Century suburban America, and the band develop many characters and locations, all while making constant political commentaries. The only problem with this is that Green Day were never musical visionaries; they built a career out of creating catchy music with good lyrics, but they were never as good as the Who, and they certainly aren't quite good enough to pull off something as ambitious as this. It really does sound like they're trying too hard, in every way. The story and characters seem forced, the melodies are confusing, and the order of the track list is confusing at times.

Regardless, there isn't a weak song on here, and the album's messy sprawl can seem very charming after a few listens. Even though they try too hard to develop a complex story line and several characters all while commenting on every imaginable political situation in modern day America, it's still a very interesting listen and there is an undeniable flow and pace to the album.

Sadly, Green Day just aren't good enough to pull off this sort of record, and this ends up sounding slightly forced, overbearing, far too ambitious, and unbelievably pretentious. In short, it is something of a botched masterpiece. The songs are good, the band sounds great, and the album is constructed quite well. Worth owning for most casual rock fans.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Track Picks:

American Idiot

Holiday

Give Me Novocaine

She's a Rebel

Whatsername

Edited by adnan

I hate this album with passion.

Not because it's become "popular" to hate it, mind you. I hated it when everyone was raving about how great it was, before it became over-exposed and over-played on the radio.

American Idiot is a catchy song. Once you hear it a few times, though...

I used to hate it with a passion too. See my posts about it a few months back. It really gets better with each listen though.

Are you one of those people who calls Green Day emo and hates them for no reason? :unsure:

Are you one of those people who calls Green Day emo and hates them for no reason? :unsure:

No, I just hate them because I think they are poor musicians, annoying people and their lead singer looks like Frodo.

:rofl-lol:

I must concur. Plus, a load of their songs are either about, or euphamism's for masturbation. That's weird. A couple maybe, but...

I did listen to the whole album - and it was revolting.

Botched masterpiece?! four top ten singles and 10 million album sales later, a few people may disagree <_< ...

Chart success these days means a bands albums/songs are popular, not necessarily good.

Do you consider Westlife, Boyzone, Girls Allowed etc to be good?

I take your point but there's two sides to that particular arguement. The Beatles sold shitloads of records but did they suck?! and if you think anythings changed, well, no it hasn't really, Oasis are regular chart contenders and they're a great band, as are say, RHCP. Sometimes the good music does conquer! Anyway, i love Girls Aloud! :P

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Im no fan, but everybody I know who likes Green Day and has been listening to them for as long as theyve been around agree that American Idiot is their worst album.

I'm tired of hearing that from these so called "original fans". Music needs to change to survive.

Im no fan, but everybody I know who likes Green Day and has been listening to them for as long as theyve been around agree that American Idiot is their worst album.

I'm tired of hearing that from these so called "original fans". Music needs to change to survive.

Not to change the topic here, but as much as a genre of music needs to evolve, it needs to stay true to its roots. Being 100% origional has never been the reason behind any artist's success and it never will. Besides, I wouldnt say American Idiot is all that different from anything Green Day has done in the past, but what the fuck do I know?

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Not to change the topic here, but as much as a genre of music needs to evolve, it needs to stay true to its roots. Being 100% origional has never been the reason behind any artist's success and it never will. Besides, I wouldnt say American Idiot is all that different from anything Green Day has done in the past, but what the fuck do I know?

Well it's still guitar-based Rock, no, it isn't that different, people are just intolerant

No, I just hate them because I think they are poor musicians

How on earth are they poor musicians? Music can be objective, so don't give me that shit about you having an opinion etc.

, annoying people

Exactly. That's the whole point of Green Day. They're snobbish and obnoxious.