If u judge CD based on the leaks..

shootingstar

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's weird to judge based on leaks, though I feel like I've heard the album from the leaks.

I'll do a rundown...

Better - Easily their first single. I know and read that people don't think this has a chorus, well, the appeal is that hook... "No one ever told me..." I can't tell you how many times at the office or in class that I whistle that over and over again. I think that's a song that will own everyone on the airwaves and will be a new sound for everyone to enjoy.

There Was A Time - No band makes music like this anymore and to be honest, this song takes me back to the classic Gn'R days and I think the solo at the end is one of the most moving pieces of instrumentals to come out in awhile. Since I received the leak in June, my iPod lists that I've listened to the leak 56 times. And everyone I showed it to really just light up when it goes. It needs to be clearer and the vocals need to be louder and stand out, but other than that, I think this will be the Sweet Child everyone wants. Nobody on here as a GnR fan can say that last kick off of a solo doesn't make you want to cry in joy... I think everyone agrees on that already. The verses are strong, I'd like to hear the "wrong time for you.." part a bit more clearly. Other than that, I've said enough... it rocks.

The Blues - Haven't heard anything but the live version. I adit I was sketchy about Axl's voice in the beginning, but after hearing some clearer live versions, I do think it sounds great. It's not November Rain, but will be billed in the future as that type of song. I think the piano is catchy, but for some reason reminds me of Catcher?

The Catcher in the Rye - Someone mentioned this started out as a good idea and went sloppy? I agree. I think there are parts in the song that work so brilliantly that it could make the song a rock epic and classic. However, there needs to be some strippage of extra guitar parts or maybe the remastering will sound better. (Which it probably will.) The solo, as usual, is great and Axl's harmonies bring about some killer images. Another classic.

Chinese Democracy - Not sure if I dig this at all, but makes a decent opening I guess? I don't know... I'm not a fan on full industrial, so I don't know about this one. The lyrics sound alright, but forced... and though I hate how he sings "Down on the Farm", I understand the differences in his vocal ranges. I think this song is definitely the weaker of any songs, but the edge is there. I think some left over nu-metal kids will dig this big time though.

I.R.S. - I think of T3:Rise of the Machines because of that damn video on YouTube and I kind of wish it was in the movie. The image of the motorbike in T2 with "You Could Be Mine" is the first thing I think of when I recollect my memory of T2. This song has potential, but some of the lyrics are a lil' lame. I think in today's day and age, magazines will rip this song to shreds based on the lyrics alone. It does rock though and has some stems and roots from the Appetite days, but with this whole NIN vibe going on too.

Silkworms - Everyone says this won't be on there and well, thank God. I really don't like the song, but I'll admit the beginning ambiance is pretty nifty. Other than that? Bag it.

Madagascar - I've heard live versions, so called demos, and some short leaks... the song is still to be memorabe to me. I like the name, the lyrics sound clever, but the melody just doesn't stick with me as much. I still blame this song for the buzz kill in the 2002 VMAs... (Honestly who decided it was a good idea to stick a slow song between "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child of Mine" or "Paradise City"?) I don't know, it will grow... you can't love every song too. There are some parts I love, but still I'd like to hear a final version.

All in all, from what I've heard, this sticks to the walls of my head nicely. I read some comparisons to Contraband and I laughed a bit. Not because I'm one of those GnR fans who just have an utter hatred for the band, but because that album and every other supergroup these days are such a laughing stock. Most of the songs on Contraband would all sound better with Axl, yet the only thing to sound semi-decent is "Slither", a mild post grunge song that just makes it look like Slash "always wanted to be grunge."

These leaks are classy and what rock and the genre GnR's in is all about. I think with some touch ups on quality, etc... Chinese Democracy could be the album to save people's interests in music or just undervallue a lot of other's. In all honesty, there will be people who will hate this and lots who love it.

I don't know, they need to release it because the interest is now, especially when magazine after magazine has 4 star show reviews out of 5 stars and the enthusiasm is there. But Summer 2007? Fuck, that's probably going to be more realistic the more I think about it.

Well, there's my two cents.

Well, there's my two cents.

With that amount of great detail it was more like ten dollars. :)

Er...If the leaks (and other new tracks played live) are anything to go by, I think the album is going to be great. The comparisons to Contraband are inevitable and I think CD will greatly surpass it- based on the wide ranging styles and sound compared with Contraband's collection of largely similiar sounding songs.

Commercially the album will do well- I'm betting six to ten million sales worldwide- based on the GNR name and the history alone. What troubles me is the lack of any genuinely catchy songs- this is album which looks as if it will be devoid of the rock anthems that GNR is famous for.

So to sum up- a great album which will I'll keep going back to, but not one which will have any long-standing impact on the music industry.

I was out there and bought scalpers tickets to see Velvet Revolver a couple of years ago and wow ... what a show. The GNR nostalgia was there, and the new songs rocked. But I have to admit when I heard the album, and I bought it right away, I was disappointed in the depth of the lyrics. The album wasn't that great. Unfortunately Axl has the lyrical genius and Contraband lacked in that big time.

What we will find in Chinese Democracy, and "Better" is my favourite song by far, is true poetry, and Slash's and Duff's riffs couldn't cover the fact that the lyrics were substandard and I hope that their next album has more to it than Contraband.

My friends felt the same way, even with a bias towards the legend of these great rockers rock1

I agree. Although I think the new gnr is doing pretty damned good with the guys they have, Slash would add that little extra that makes gnr gnr.

ps. my best friend just had Use Your Illusions 1 poster mounted for me for my birthday ... what a girl!!!

it'd be a flop, unless every song was as good as better is, after this many years it could be better.

Better is a catchy song and I really like it. BUT I wouldn´t prefer to have a whole album with that cind of songs. I want to have songs where u need to give it time and a good listen before get it. For me, some songs on the Illusions tooked me years to like, bu when I finally did I NEVER get tired of them. In that point of view I actually think that I.R.S has more potential then Better. I want CD to be an album u can explore for a long time, where u discover hided spots and places u never heard before everytime u get it a listen. That would be real art!

Let´s say that those leaks we´ve heard represent the standard of CD, would it fulfill your expectations? Would you explain Axls work as an success or an flop?

If the leaks were the standard, I would be MORE than satisfied with the end product. Would that product sell? Maybe, maybe not, but it would be more than good enough for me, sure.

Let´s say that those leaks we´ve heard represent the standard of CD, would it fulfill your expectations? Would you explain Axls work as an success or an flop?

yea, my perfectionist ears would be delighted enough.

TWAT - epic

all the others to me would be lost in the album if it was put on use your illusion. I much prefer the complexity of breakdown/locomotive/double talkin to better/irs. I'm not bowled over to be honest, apart from twat which has still help me keep the faith!

Fish

Pretty solid album, I'd say, I love Madagascar, The Blues and Better.

IRS, TWAT, CITR are alright, nothing amazing, but pretty good efforts,

don't really like Chinese D, as a song its kinda boring.

Overall I'd say a good album, nothing near GNR standard, probably weigh it around Contraband's level, both great rock albums, neither classic.

Edited by Mr Estranged

I would say that, based on what we have heard, CD points to the fact that Axl has suffered for some time with a kind of writer's block. The magic of earlier work was the combination of Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff, and Steven, and later Matt. Removing all those factors and only leaving Axl in place was a mistake on his part and probably has alot to do with his ego and control problems. It is similar to what Aerosmith went through in the late 70s. Joe Perry and Brad Whitford left b/c they got tired of Steven Tyler's stupid, bloated ideas. It took years for him to see how much better off he was with those guys in the band. I only hope that Axl can come to that realization as well.

It would be Great! I love Better, T.W.A.T., The Blues, Madagascar & Catcher In The Rye!!!

I.R.S. & Chinese Democracy are okay.

The rest (Silkworms, Rhiad...) are pretty bad.

But, I must add, as a caveat, that I do thoroughly enjoy Madagascar and CD. The others I will wait and see when the album comes out because in their current form, I don't care for them. That is not to say they are garbage or anything like that; they just lack a certain spark or edge. There is a noticeable lack of attitude which was the original enticement for me with GNR. I am very interested to see what else Axl has been up to in all these years and whether it was worth it.

If i judge the album just by listening to the leaks... i would say its a cool album, BUT defenetly not GN'R. when i think of GN'R, i think of the Hard Rock with some bad ass riffs, not of songs that even 'Panic at the disco' could come up with. i say the songs that i've heard are alright, but nothing close to great.... B)