Were you satisfied with 2006?

Guest Yanni_16

Guest Yanni_16

Yes, we're a little disappointed that 2006 is coming to a close in a month's time and Chinese Democracy isn't in our hands. I still have faith, albeit very little. But let's take a step back for a sec and reflect on this past year. First, we had pictures of Axl appearing in public. Then the Rolling Stone interview. More public appearances. The announcement of a European tour. Four songs leaked. The surprise Eddie Trunk radio interview (man, the excitement on this board when that happened, I don't think that will be duplicated until the release of the album). Hammerstein shows. Another radio interview, KROQ. European tour goes through as planned. North American tour. Sebastian Bach confirming to Rolling Stone he's heard the album, and revealing another track title. We didn't have any of this shit at this time last year, in fact, I'd be willing to bet a good number of you would have stopped visiting this forum by now had Axl decided to stay in his state of reclusiveness for another year. So, what do you think? If CD fails to surface in the next month, will you still think 2006 was a good year for Guns N' Roses or will you feel let down?

I think it started off extremely well. I can't tell you how incredibly excited I was when the RS interview was put up in January (was it really that long ago??). Getting home one day from class and seeing a picture of Axl was amazing. I knew then that something big was about to happen, and when the leaks happened and Trunk aired and the tour started and the website launched and so on and so forth, everything was finally coming together. It was like they were a real band.

Seeing Axl in public places - Sopranos launch party, at a car race, the VMAs, in nightclubs and out eating, etc. - was comforting. It made it all seem so real - it wasn't just more hype, it was happening (finally!).

So yes, it started off very well. It was, overall, the best year we've had with GN'R since the mid-'90s. They had a tour, they had some new material, Axl actually started doing some promotions.

But then it collapsed. I'm still hoping for something, but it's just not realistic to have anything out in four weeks.

2006 got me back into the band...the rumors of CD release got me reading message boards like this one. I've just discovered about 6-7 songs since summer 2006...

i understand the dissappointment of the hard core fans, and I really wanna hear the album also...

but to answer the original question, in 2006 I burned about a 35 minute CD of "new" GnR....and while I want the entire album...I'm enjoying what new stuff they have revealed so far

Edited by thetumblindice

Absolutly not and I'll tell you why.

One had this happened in 2004 or 2005 when I was living in the UK I could have seen them and proabbly would have multiple times. Sadly I missed out on them at RIR in '04, its cool I saw Foo Fighters instead and they were all good. However seeing as this year I havent seen them live, no new (completed) music has surfaced and I've had to observe everyone else having fun from a small Island in the South Pacific, all in all that makes for a pretty depressing year.

In brighter news, I got new records from Pearl Jam (who have put out 9 albums since 91, when guns last put out an original), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Thom Yorke, Tenacious D, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, The Panic Channel and Led Zeppelin (Ooops that was only in a dream)

I think it started off extremely well.

But then it collapsed. I'm still hoping for something, but it's just not realistic to have anything out in four weeks.

My feelings exactly - I edited the details, because we know what was good about this year.

But the pointedness of these two statements sums up my thoughts on 2006 - The wind has been taken out of my sails as a GNR fan with the reversion to silence, lies, fan censorship, and excuses that I sincerely felt were a thing of the past with this band.

I lost count of how many times the official website promised something and conveniently edited their words to erase the existance of any evidence, just to cover things up. The HD ad fiasco was the breaking point for me - That day felt like the one that finally pointed toward GNR actually doing something, and then the ground fell out from under the fans once again.

Edited by EccoTides

It was a dissapointing year! Everything was supposed to lead to the moment we were all waiting for..... the long awaited Chinese Democracy....which looks like is not happening now. The leaks, the appearances, the tour were nice but without the album, mission NOT accomplished!!!

You know what I felt was the real turning point?,Brains departure from the tour! I just thought to myself why would this guy opt to take a break/be away from the band at the point when the album was supposed to be right around the corner?? Especially when he has been in the band for awhile now, probably put in hundreds of hours in studio, plus all the touring! Wouldnt he wanna share in the sucess of it, sine he worked on the damn thing?? Now I know the reason we were givien was that he wanted to spend time with his newborn and wife but I also think that he found out at that time that maybe CD wasnt so close after all, and he figured "shit if Axl still ain't serious about this, why should I be" Does anyone think we'll actually see Brain in GnR again?? I don't and when we heard that Frank was doing some recording in the studio (Del James article) it made me think maybe he's redoing the tracks for the album because Brain is out and Axl doesnt want the fucker (Brain) to get any royalties from the album!! This can be one of the reasons for the delay, just my two cents of a theory.

there has been a great amount of progress this year, but i cant say i am totally satisfied, and for one good reason. We have been promised on many, many occasions, that the album will be in our hands by the end of 2006. with that said, i will not be satisfied until the album is in my hand. If Axl and co. refuse to deliver again, i wont be surprised. i will be disappointed, and will struggle to find hope of ever having my favorite band viewed in a good way, but i will continue to wait. the worst thing that can happen is that we wont get the album. the backlash to this is GNR getting some seriously shitty(but well deserved) press. i have to admit, if the album is not out by the end of the year, i really hope that every news source bashes the shit out of GNR. i don't like the idea of having to read it, but GNR will deserve every word of it.

2006 was a great year for me in terms of GNR. I dont care what the hell is goin on, ive never put alot faith in anything Axl said about CD so I am not the upset about it. Dont get me wrong, I would love to have it now, and I would like to see it soon that they they can continue the CD world tour. I saw the "first leg" twice this year and it was fuckn great, but id love to see some more new songs next year when I hopefully see that again at a LARGE venue :)

Great shows in NC and MD !!!!

Edited by gnfnr2006

I know we haven't seen the release of CD, but in 2006 I saw GN'R live TWICE - what's to complain about?? - that's more activity than we've seen in the Guns n' Roses camp in a hell of a long time. And look at it positively - if we've not yet had the CD but these announcements have been made, there should be more to come in 2007.