What the fuck happened to David Bowie?

Guest Apollo

Never been that much of a fan. I know some people are obsessed with him. And I "get" the appeal he has to some people. Not my cup of tea, but I see how he fits into his genre.

With that said . . . I've been listening to Young Americans and this song is amazing. It's like a rock, blues, free-singing jam thrown together at a drunken, cocaine-flying studio session. I picture Dave in the studio, next to the Rolling Stones and coming up with a rocker that he could show a young Mick and Keith and say "see fuckers, I can tear it up just as well as you guys."

I think it's brilliant.

Bowie is a fucking god. Bowie is bigger than the 80's.

Bowie is a fuckin thief. that whole ziggy stardust, please, iggy pop rip off much? Ig's cool with him n always has been but Bowie more or less admits he stole the whole thing from him. he's like a madonna, fuckin hawk, makes these lame ass attempts at reinvention, reminds me of malcolm mclaren, spends time on the outskirts of the in-crowd n uses his clout to make it mainstream n act like he's some great inventor/svengali

I'm not the biggest fan of his music, but David Bowie is so much more than that. He's an artist with the full meaning of this word. He goes up to a stage and his presence is absolutely dynamic and IMO you can't take your eyes off of him!

Bowie is a fuckin thief. that whole ziggy stardust, please, iggy pop rip off much? Ig's cool with him n always has been but Bowie more or less admits he stole the whole thing from him. he's like a madonna, fuckin hawk, makes these lame ass attempts at reinvention, reminds me of malcolm mclaren, spends time on the outskirts of the in-crowd n uses his clout to make it mainstream n act like he's some great inventor/svengali

get the fuck outta my face with this bullshit. Hunky Dory, Low, Sound and Vision, Golden Years, Let's Dance, Outside. You wanna tell me he copied that all off Iggy? David Bowie is one of the most creative artists of the last century. if you claim anything else you make a fool of yourself.

get the fuck outta my face with this bullshit. Hunky Dory, Low, Sound and Vision, Golden Years, Let's Dance, Outside. You wanna tell me he copied that all off Iggy? David Bowie is one of the most creative artists of the last century. if you claim anything else you make a fool of yourself.

I agree with JeanGenie. It's stupid saying that Bowie is a thief! Bowie is a school himself, as well as Iggy is.

Personally I prefer Iggy's music, I used to be a big fan when I was younger.

We should respect both and don't start silly arguments!

allow me to make a fool of myself. i didnt say he copied ALL of that offa iggy, only the facets that i mentioned. he is NOT one of the most creative artists of the last century, thats just a fuckin fact, dont embarass urself :lol: he's a sad little Lou Reed/Iggy Pop wannabe, jus packaged better. he's such a poser, he's boring, he doesnt change, he jus adopts looks, other peoples looks, he's a johnny-come-lately, horrifically tame crap that really petered out in the early 80s, even to the point where he lied in melody maker about being gay.

Edited by frankwhite

allow me to make a fool of myself. i didnt say he copied ALL of that offa iggy, only the facets that i mentioned. he is NOT one of the most creative artists of the last century, thats just a fuckin fact, dont embarass urself :lol: he's a sad little Lou Reed/Iggy Pop wannabe, jus packaged better.

feel free to do whatever you like. Bowie worked with Andy Warhol and his factory I guess Warhol copied also from Iggy right? No 2 songs of Bowie sound the same. he still makes awesome records and goes with the times. while Lou Reed is rather insignificant. Bowie is a legend and he didn't gain that status for nothing.

allow me to make a fool of myself. i didnt say he copied ALL of that offa iggy, only the facets that i mentioned. he is NOT one of the most creative artists of the last century, thats just a fuckin fact, dont embarass urself :lol: he's a sad little Lou Reed/Iggy Pop wannabe, jus packaged better.

feel free to do whatever you like. Bowie worked with Andy Warhol and his factory I guess Warhol copied also from Iggy right? No 2 songs of Bowie sound the same. he still makes awesome records and goes with the times. while Lou Reed is rather insignificant. Bowie is a legend and he didn't gain that status for nothing.

"Bowie worked with Andy Warhol and his factory I guess Warhol copied also from Iggy right?" :huh: and the only worth musical venture andy was even vaguely a apart of was the velvet underground fronted by who, Lou Reed, oh, how does this fuckin work? hmmm.

"Bowie worked with Andy Warhol and his factory I guess Warhol copied also from Iggy right?" :huh: and the only worth musical venture andy was even vaguely a apart of was the velvet underground fronted by who, Lou Reed, oh, how does this fuckin work? hmmm.

You miss the point, Warhol was not that kinda guy that sorrounded himself with idiots or wannabes.

David Bowie has a 40 years lasting carrer you can't base that on copies of other artists. he worked with artists like, Queen, Peter Frampton, Pet Shop Boys, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Steve Ray Vaughan etc. he also influenced many acts. you can't really believe that he achieved that all without any talent.

He copied Lou Reed no more than the beatles copied Chuck Berry. You simply don't like Bowie so you don't wanna see his achievments. bowies importance in rock history is undeniable. accept it or leave the discussion to people that actually know what they are talking about.

Bowie69.jpeg

All hail the great Bowie!!!!

You miss the point, Warhol was not that kinda guy that sorrounded himself with idiots or wannabes.

David Bowie has a 40 years lasting carrer you can't base that on copies of other artists. he worked with artists like, Queen, Peter Frampton, Pet Shop Boys, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Steve Ray Vaughan etc. he also influenced many acts. you can't really believe that he achieved that all without any talent.

He copied Lou Reed no more than the beatles copied Chuck Berry. You simply don't like Bowie so you don't wanna see his achievments. bowies importance in rock history is undeniable. accept it or leave the discussion to people that actually know what they are talking about.

David Bowie DID base his character Ziggy Stardust on Iggy Pop.

And please tell me how Lou Reed is insignificant because I'm dying to know.

today he is. I would never deny his contributions to rock and music in general but his last albums can't compare with bowies. and as I said let him base Ziggy Stardust on Iggy his work contains over 300 songs and barely a 2 sound the same so whats the point you want to make? Bowie is up there with the greats and nothing anybody on here says will change that.

Bowie69.jpeg

do u know n e thing about warhol? he surrounded himself with a buncha sulphate addicted wannabe superstars. the binding key was a revisionist ethic, warhol's biggest successes were conceptual, other than that he wasnt the best of artists, which he admitted even, n as far as the people around him, i think u need to read up cuz they were a buncha transvestites drug addicts chickenhawks which arent necessarily negative points but are when its ALL you are. its a sum scene

Bowie69.jpeg

do u know n e thing about warhol? he surrounded himself with a buncha sulphate addicted wannabe superstars. the binding key was a revisionist ethic, warhol's biggest successes were conceptual, other than that he wasnt the best of artists, which he admitted even, n as far as the people around him, i think u need to read up cuz they were a buncha transvestites drug addicts chickenhawks which arent necessarily negative points but are when its ALL you are. its a sum scene

doesn't matter my other points still stand.

Bowie69.jpeg

doesn't matter my other points still stand.

ur other points, hmm, that he's a legend? yeah well so're cliff richard n barry manilow in some circles, so're milli vannilli, whats ur point? other than that all u seem to be sayin is he's a good collaborator. hardly the makings of a genius...

you didn't give one example why he shouldn't be a genius either. at least that the most talented songwriters of our times worked with him shows that they obviously appreciate his work.

Moonage daydream is a masterpiece of a song. so is space oddity or Quicksand or Heroes, or young Americans or Fame or Speed Of Life. I could go on forever. pick up a rock magazine he is still considered one of the most creative rock stars. his albums appear in every "best album of all time" poll, millions of people bought his records over a time of 40 years now. Do you really think everyone is wrong but you? this is like arguing whether waters wet or not.

You know I can understand when anybody doesn't like bowie that's ok. even if you "try" to find evidences that bowie sucked is ok with me, I always appreciate a good laugh. But if you just say "he's stupid, he copied everything he ever did" because you don't like him than it's getting really annoying.

Give me examples, show me songs that bowie copied off anybody, and you better show me a lot because bowies back catalogue is 300 songs strong then we can argue, otherwise get aids and die please.

you didn't give one example why he shouldn't be a genius either. at least that the most talented songwriters of our times worked with him shows that they obviously appreciate his work.

Moonage daydream is a masterpiece of a song. so is space oddity or Quicksand or Heroes, or young Americans or Fame or Speed Of Life. I could go on forever. pick up a rock magazine he is still considered one of the most creative rock stars. his albums appear in every "best album of all time" poll, millions of people bought his records over a time of 40 years now. Do you really think everyone is wrong but you? this is like arguing whether waters wet or not.

You know I can understand when anybody doesn't like bowie that's ok. even if you "try" to find evidences that bowie sucked is ok with me, I always appreciate a good laugh. But if you just say "he's stupid, he copied everything he ever did" because you don't like him than it's getting really annoying.

Give me examples, show me songs that bowie copied off anybody, and you better show me a lot because bowies back catalogue is 300 songs strong then we can argue, otherwise get aids and die please.

i didnt give u one example of why he shouldn't? yes i did, because he steals. he's not himself. he has "phases" whereupon he adopts certain stock images. the examples of songs u mentioned r good, yes, i agree. he appears in best of polls, wow, so do a lot of bands that i dont like n that im sure u dont like either, or do u live ur life by the rolling stone 101 course? think for urself! do i think everyone is wrong but me? hmm, Newsflash for ur delusional ass, EVERYONE DOES NOT LOVE DAVID BOWIE. yes, hmm, amazing i know, but fact. i actually do like a lot of work he was involved in but to say he is a genius or an originator im sorry is jus preposterous. i didnt say he copied songs, i said image, persona, get it? get AIDS n die? sure sign of someone who cant hold up a cogent argument, personal insults, i didnt say no shit like that to u, whats ur problem? cant u use ur brain to discuss, u really gotta go there? david bowie's best work is either in collabo's or images he's ripped offa people, n less face it, david's been 75% image since day one anyway. get AIDS n die, hm, cute, y'know, funny u should say something like that in support of a man who claimed to be gay :rofl-lol:

well it's about the music. I give a fuck about his images. it's the songs that I care for and they are amazing. godlike masterpieces. not all of them but plenty. I gave you numerous examples why he's a genius. you simply have chosen not to acknowledge them. I do indeed think for myself and was a convinced bowie supporter way before I had access to any kind of media. but you are simply in the minority when it comes to the point if bowies a genius or not. not that the majority is always right, but in this case it's true.

i don't blindly believe any polls or mags but if you consider the number of articles and people that appreciate his work and simply the time that he survived in the business than it gives you a clue that he might gets the appreciation he deserves. even if he changed his images as you admitted yourself the songs are great and that's what it's all about. I mean look at Michael Jackson, he is nuts obviously he ruins his body and maybe even rapes children( maybe, nobody knows for sure).

but his songs still are masterpieces and there is nothing in this world that will make them worse or will take away Jackson's status as genius songwriter.

It's similar with Bowie let him copy his looks and behaviour all he wants, his ability to write awesome songs is a fact and makes him, considering the number of great songs over the decades, to a legendary songwriter and musician.

Sorry for the "aids" and "die" comment. I ain't too proud to acknowledge when I'm wrong and that was unnecessary. I'm quite a hot tempered guy and I never met any motherfucker in my life that didn't appreciate bowie as legend.

well it's about the music. I give a fuck about his images. it's the songs that I care for and they are amazing. godlike masterpieces. not all of them but plenty. I gave you numerous examples why he's a genius. you simply have chosen not to acknowledge them. I do indeed think for myself and was a convinced bowie supporter way before I had access to any kind of media. but you are simply in the minority when it comes to the point if bowies a genius or not. not that the majority is always right, but in this case it's true.

i don't blindly believe any polls or mags but if you consider the number of articles and people that appreciate his work and simply the time that he survived in the business than it gives you a clue that he might gets the appreciation he deserves. even if he changed his images as you admitted yourself the songs are great and that's what it's all about. I mean look at Michael Jackson, he is nuts obviously he ruins his body and maybe even rapes children( maybe, nobody knows for sure).

but his songs still are masterpieces and there is nothing in this world that will make them worse or will take away Jackson's status as genius songwriter.

It's similar with Bowie let him copy his looks and behaviour all he wants, his ability to write awesome songs is a fact and makes him, considering the number of great songs over the decades, to a legendary songwriter and musician.

Sorry for the "aids" and "die" comment. I ain't too proud to acknowledge when I'm wrong and that was unnecessary. I'm quite a hot tempered guy and I never met any motherfucker in my life that didn't appreciate bowie as legend.

regurgitation :sleeper:

regurgitation :sleeper:

sure sign of someone who cant hold up a cogent argument