The absolute best Axl has sounded (during a live performance) in 2006

Estranged Reality

I'm sure many have seen/heard this by now, but with the year coming to an end I thought it would be interesting to take a look back at how Axl's voice has progressed during the year. I have to say he hit tops during Rock Am Ring which was awesome, but unfortunately he didn't sound too great on some of the new songs (like The Blues).

However, I think I've found the best he's sounded in years. This is beautiful.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vam8Sk_BMmg

Fast-forward to exactly 3 minutes and 34 seconds into the song. During the "Anymooore, whoa oh oh oh" bit. The way he controls his voice there is amazing. It lasts through to about 3:45, so around ten seconds...but even during the outro of that scream he shifts down octaves (or whatever) so nicely...really beautiful...

It's just very clean, very precise. On other versions he tends to go out of tune there but he totally nailed it during that performance.

I have almost every bootleg of The Blues from '06 and I think this is the best he's sounded singing that song - perhaps ever. For some reason he tried to change the way he sang it later on in the tour (see Rock Am Ring for proof) but this was awesome!

I love how he sounds there.

Just wanted to share that, and see what everyone else thinks. :)

Edited by Estranged Reality

I'm sure many have seen/heard this by now, but with the year coming to an end I thought it would be interesting to take a look back at how Axl's voice has progressed during the year. I have to say he hit tops during Rock Am Ring which was awesome, but unfortunately he didn't sound too great on some of the new songs (like The Blues).

Fast-forward to exactly 3 minutes and 34 seconds into the song. During the "Anymooore, whoa oh oh oh" bit. The way he controls his voice there is amazing. It lasts through to about 3:45, so around ten seconds...but even during the outro of that scream he shifts down octaves (or whatever) so nicely...really beautiful...

It's just very clean, very precise. On other versions he tends to go out of tune there but he totally nailed it during that performance.

I have almost every bootleg of The Blues from '06 and I think this is the best he's sounded singing that song - perhaps ever. For some reason he tried to change the way he sang it later on in the tour (see Rock Am Ring for proof) but this was awesome!

Axl's been sounding better and better as the tour goes on. This might be a bad thing. He might want to go back into the studio (ugh).

Anyway, don't worry, just a matter of time before some idiots like Sly or Gayness comes on here and says he's getting help from a machine or something.

YES I agree, this is the best he's sounded all tour. You see I made a comment on that vid about a month ago... I thought it was incredible. I was going to make a thread about it but... nahhh

Edited by Forsaken

Axl's been sounding better and better as the tour goes on. This might be a bad thing. He might want to go back into the studio (ugh).

Anyway, don't worry, just a matter of time before some idiots like Sly or Gayness comes on here and says he's getting help from a machine or something.

estranged, dude are we gettng to you???Nice find/post! Come over to the guys who just love the band and take what we can get. It is more fun. rock3

estranged, dude are we gettng to you???Nice find/post! Come over to the guys who just love the band and take what we can get. It is more fun. rock3

I've never been a "hater." You made that assumption based on one objective post I wrote.

The difference is, I take things as I see them. I love Axl's voice here. I'll openly admit, for example, that I think his voice sucks on the Rock Am Ring version. (Well, it doesn't suck, but the beginning is more than a little shaky...he tried to sing it with rasp and then go into the "helium voice" during certain parts, and it didn't sound right IMO.)

Just because I think one particular performance is poorer than another doesn't mean I don't still enjoy "following" this band. So when I said I'd lose interest if the album didn't come out this year, all I meant was that I'd lose interest in closely following expecting something to come about...I wouldn't be checking my computer every day in the hopes of some huge update. If it doesn't come out this year, I will start checking for updates infrequently. THAT'S ALL I meant by saying I'd lose interest. You incorrectly quoted me as saying I would stop supporting the band, which wasn't true.

I've been trying to tell you for weeks that I have been a supporter of "new" GN'R for ages but you, as I said, made an assumption based on one post and ran away with it. This is far from the first time I've praised a performance by Axl this year.

EDIT: Another thing. See how much more enjoyable it is to judge Axl's recent performances of NEW SONGS since we have other recent performances of new songs to judge them by?

I think Axl sounds amazing on the new songs, and not so amazing on old songs. It's because he wrote/performed the new songs with his new voice. He wrote them with his new voice. Therefore, they SOUND BETTER with his new voice.

I think if he played newer material more often he'd be surprised by positive reactions from people. Expecting a 40-something guy to sing stuff like "You Could Be Mine" is a bit much after all. I have always thought since his comeback in 2001 that his voice now suits the songs like The Blues and Madagascar. I'd love to have some new songs played live so I can enjoy new vocal performances rather than constantly being reminded of OLD performances by hearing old songs.

If that makes sense...hopefully it does!

Edited by Estranged Reality

See Gunzen... there are those of us with 'The Force'... take you and I for example. Then there are those on the Dark Side. I don't have to give any names.

Estranged is like Lando Calrissian... some dude in his own world and it's hard to tell what side he's on.

Mighty entertaining chap though.

EDIT: Might entertaining with really long fucking posts all the time. Haha.

Edited by Matt13

I've never been a "hater." You made that assumption based on one objective post I wrote.

The difference is, I take things as I see them. I love Axl's voice here. I'll openly admit, for example, that I think his voice sucks on the Rock Am Ring version. (Well, it doesn't suck, but the beginning is more than a little shaky...he tried to sing it with rasp and then go into the "helium voice" during certain parts, and it didn't sound right IMO.)

Just because I think one particular performance is poorer than another doesn't mean I don't still enjoy "following" this band. So when I said I'd lose interest if the album didn't come out this year, all I meant was that I'd lose interest in closely following expecting something to come about...I wouldn't be checking my computer every day in the hopes of some huge update. If it doesn't come out this year, I will start checking for updates infrequently. THAT'S ALL I meant by saying I'd lose interest. You incorrectly quoted me as saying I would stop supporting the band, which wasn't true.

I've been trying to tell you for weeks that I have been a supporter of "new" GN'R for ages but you, as I said, made an assumption based on one post and ran away with it. This is far from the first time I've praised a performance by Axl this year.

EDIT: Another thing. See how much more enjoyable it is to judge Axl's recent performances of NEW SONGS since we have other recent performances of new songs to judge them by?

I think Axl sounds amazing on the new songs, and not so amazing on old songs. It's because he wrote/performed the new songs with his new voice. He wrote them with his new voice. Therefore, they SOUND BETTER with his new voice.

I think if he played newer material more often he'd be surprised by positive reactions from people. Expecting a 40-something guy to sing stuff like "You Could Be Mine" is a bit much after all. I have always thought since his comeback in 2001 that his voice now suits the songs like The Blues and Madagascar. I'd love to have some new songs played live so I can enjoy new vocal performances rather than constantly being reminded of OLD performances by hearing old songs.

If that makes sense...hopefully it does!

got it, it does make sense, duely noted. The post was "if the album doesnt come out, are you gonna give it up, and since you posted negatively I assumed it. again dude, i am all about the positive. Cool

Estranged is like Lando Calrissian...

Damn, I was hoping to be friends with Michael Richards, but now I guess I never will be...

He doesn't hate black people... only the white trash version :)

Besides, Lando is pracically white. He's like Tiger Woods.

Damn, I was hoping to be friends with Michael Richards, but now I guess I never will be...

I was just joking... geez Matt, great way to ruin the vibe! :(

:rofl-lol:

Me too... I guess were not good jokers.

I was joking again, Matt! Hence the rolling smiley face! ARGH!

Now I must redeem this by making a joke out of it, so we can continue the chain of joking.

LANDO2.jpg

(I figured that picture is kind of funny - funny enough to make this a joke, maybe. I hope.)

:(

Now I must redeem this by making a joke out of it, so we can continue the chain of joking.

LANDO2.jpg

(I figured that picture is kind of funny - funny enough to make this a joke, maybe. I hope.)

Lol... that is funny! You should use that as your avatar...lol.

I am blonde too, so sometimes things go over my head (in reference to your last post about missing whatever the hell we were talking about... short term memory... blonde thing too... girls dig it though).

LANDO2.jpg

Lol... that is funny! You should use that as your avatar...lol.

I am blonde too, so sometimes things go over my head (in reference to your last post about missing whatever the hell we were talking about... short term memory... blonde thing too... girls dig it though).

How are you diggin' the new avatar, Matt?

I'll have to work on a Lando signature image when I'm not tired.

Good night.

How are you diggin' the new avatar, Matt?

I'll have to work on a Lando signature image when I'm not tired.

Good night.

Dude, I just laughed the hardest I've laughed in days... that's just fucking awesome... way cooler than SLY!!!!

if you two want to chat or get a room someplace

I knew someone would throw the gay flag at some point... didn't think it would be you Maddy! You're 100% right however. I'm going to go watch Platoon now.

Axls singing was good.

Robins solo was not.

I think he nailed it here. But you maby don´t like it in general?

I totally agree with you Estranged Reality. This is a proper version which are worthy representing this song. His voice is really worned out in the Rock am Ring version. If you look careful you can see that his breath is frosty so it must have been cold there and I guess that consumed his voice a bit.

Thanks for the link!