Axl's savage supporter

bandita

I haven't seen this one posted:

http://www.startribune.com/457/story/845219.html

Axl's savage supporter

Ex-Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach is all over the place: VH1, "Gilmore Girls" and now the mysterious Guns N' Roses entourage.

No kidding: Sebastian Bach has officially trademarked the name Savage Animal.

"People yell it at me everywhere I go now: 'Hey, Savage Animal!' " Bach said. "I thought it was too good to pass up, so I made sure I owned it."

As is fondly remembered by guilty-pleasure TV watchers, the former Skid Row singer tried to push that moniker on his bandmates in this year's VH1 series, "Supergroup."Because rock 'n' roll is like a savage animal," he growled.

To his credit, Bach never has lost that Spinal Tap-like faith in heavy metal and all its glory. That's probably why the 38-year-old Canadian-born Sebastian Bierk has become VH1's go-to guy for all things metal. (He also hosted its "40 Greatest Metal Songs" and helped Hal Sparks nail Skid Row's "18 and Life" in "Celebrity Duets.")

Bach's unflinching enthusiasm also might explain why he was enlisted for his current role as Guns N' Roses' opening act -- a job that requires a lot of love for rock 'n' roll high jinks.

Bach has been on tour with the ever-erratic GNR since the summer. He filled in for Axl Rose at a European gig, and he has been one of the few people to stick up for Rose and his long-delayed "Chinese Democracy" album.

"Listen, the guy hasn't lost his mind," he said by phone last week from Hollywood, where he taped an episode of "Gilmore Girls" (not one to turn down a TV offer, he has a recurring role as a musician on the show).

Bach sounded eager to rejoin the GNR tour coming to Target Center on Saturday.

"I've been waiting a long, long time to get back on a big arena tour like this," he said.

Bach's old band opened much of Guns 'N Roses' 1991 "Use Your Illusion" tour. But like most people who knew Rose in his heyday, he lost touch with the reclusive singer. That changed early this year when Bach got a text message out of the blue from Rose, inviting him to hang out.

"I thought, 'Who is this idiot messing around with me pretending they're Axl Rose?' " he remembered. "But I pressed 'call sender,' and it actually was him, and it was like talking to Howard Hughes."

Bach soon found out that "the guy hasn't changed all that much. He's still a fun guy who likes to party."

Bach has been equally smitten with the recordings that would be "Chinese Democracy," which probably won't be out by year's end as promised.

"I've heard some incredible music," he said. "He's pulling from a wealth of material. He's got like 30-some songs."

So why can't he just get them done?

"He doesn't explain that to me because he doesn't need to. It's his album and his art," Bach said, turning philosophical. "Rock 'n' roll is filled with stories of musicians that have gone crazy trying to live up to expectations, like Syd Barrett. At the end of the day, Axl has managed to stay pretty damn level-headed. But he is trying to create a record that lives up to 'Appetite for Destruction,' one of the best albums of all time, and that's taken a long time."

Coincidentally or not, Bach was in line to have Scott Weiland's job in Velvet Revolver, the real supergroup featuring Slash and two other ex- GNRers. After his experiences in the "Supergroup" TV series, though, he said, "I'm extremely happy being a solo artist."I actually had a lot of fun in the making of ['Supergroup']," he said, laughing. "But I didn't have much fun watching it."

Bach is putting out his second solo album, "Angel Down," next year, his first disc since 1999's "Bring 'Em Bach Alive." The singer split with the rest of Skid Row in 1996, and the band continued without him.

"I could never go back," he said. "That band name is damaged for good."

Still, he hasn't lost faith in Skid Row's kind of music. Pointing to his 12-year-old son, whose favorite bands are AC/DC and Iron Maiden, Bach believes metal is due for a resurgence. Even better proof, he said, can be found in today's fashion trends.

"You go to the mall nowadays and see stores like Hot Topic, where all the kids shop," he said. "It looks like my basement circa 1988."

Edited by bandita

But he is trying to create a record that lives up to 'Appetite for Destruction,' one of the best albums of all time, and that's taken a long time."

This is the problem, though. Axl needs to just release it. I think he is just overthinking at this point and he needs to just let it go and let the fans decide how the album measures up. Tweaking it to death isn't the answer here.

I find it strange that he says the name "Skid Row" is damaged now, but at the same time accepts Axl's new band as Guns N Roses. Is it me or is that a little bit of a contradiction?

It's quite obvious to me that Baz sucks up to whoever he's pal-ing around with at that particular time. When he was being considered for what is now Velvet Revolver, he was singing the praises of Slash, Duff, and co.

On that show, he was up Nugent's ass. When he was on tour with Twisted Sister he was kissing Dee Snider's ass. See the pattern?

He's a very talented singer, fucking rocked in Chicago, I just don't like how his personality comes off.

Bach: "Savage Animal! I just say it and it rolls of my tounge."

Nugent: "Words like shit also roll of the tounge, it doesn´t mean it´s a good word."

Bach doesn´t live in the real world. ^^

Edited by Lukinx

I find it strange that he says the name "Skid Row" is damaged now, but at the same time accepts Axl's new band as Guns N Roses. Is it me or is that a little bit of a contradiction?

No, it's not just you. ;)

It's quite obvious to me that Baz sucks up to whoever he's pal-ing around with at that particular time. When he was being considered for what is now Velvet Revolver, he was singing the praises of Slash, Duff, and co.

On that show, he was up Nugent's ass. When he was on tour with Twisted Sister he was kissing Dee Snider's ass. See the pattern?

Yeah, the more Baz opens his mouth, the less I like him. Still think he's great on stage, but the ass kissing is to the point that I'm almost embarrassed for the guy. Christ, grow some balls and have a little dignity. You can be grateful without sucking someone's dick.

And you're right. When he was on Supergroup, he was all up Nugent's ass. Then when I saw him at MSG, he said something like "You know how I said on t.v. how I was gonna quit drinking? Well Fuck that. Oh, and Fuck Ted Nugent too!" Hypocrite. Just shut up already and sing.

Edited by Patience 4 Axl