Fans Vent About Guns N' Roses Show, Opener

jack99

Fans Vent About Guns N' Roses Show, Opener

DES MOINES, Iowa -- It was a late night for the thousands of fans at the Guns N' Roses concert Friday night

in Ames.

Concertgoers said it was 12:30 a.m. before the band took to the stage. Fans were not happy.

Fans of Guns N' Roses knew that lead singer Axl Rose is notorious for failing to show up on time, but they

didn't expect it would be after midnight before he would even begin to perform.

NewsChannel 8 talked to a fan who spent more than $150 on a pair of tickets and now wishes he would

have saved his money.

"We opted for the more expensive tickets so we (could) sit closer to the stage and hindsight, 20-20, it was

not worth it at all. I wish I had my money back," said fan Jeremy Bingaman.

Bingaman and Kurt Van Auken both attended Friday's night concert. They were just to the point where they

were walking out the door, when Guns N' Roses came on stage.

They said they decided to stay for the first song and decided it wasn't worth it and went home.

Management at Hilton Coliseum received several complaints Monday about the show.

Some were upset with the fact that the concert did not end until almost 3 a.m. They were also concerned

with one of the opening acts.

The Suicide Girls performed an edgy burlesque show.

Signs were posted throughout the Coliseum warning concertgoers that the show may not be appropriate for

all ages.

"My fiancée wasn't particularly happy that there were strippers bouncing around on stage and not well. I've

never heard drunk men boo strippers," said fan Kurt Van Auken.

"I'm seeing kids walking around here, and they had no idea that was part of the show so that was probably

the first sign that it was not going to be your average concert," Bingman said.

Mark Miller, the director of programming at the Hilton, said they found out just two days before the concert

that the Suicide Girls would be performing.

Miller said they did what they could to warn concertgoers by putting up signs in the Coliseum.

Miller said there was no specific reason was given for why the band started so late, but Hilton management

was told in advance that Rose will go on stage when he's ready.

Miller said there's little they can do to force an artist to go on stage.

Source: http://www.kcci.com/news/10461413/detail.html (+video)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl woke up at 11.57pm, had a bowl of Capt. Crunch did a bit of yodeling, gargalled with some Jagermeister and hit the stage promptly at 12.30am

:lol:

Another "positive" article about Axl... Well, at least the media are talking about him, he's not being ignored which would be worse.

But really, with all these opening acts what do people expect? How long after the last opening act did GN´R go on? It can´t have been that long really....

I think people should expect to get home late when going to a concert.

what gnr need to do now, is pull off a couple of shows where they start at 21h00 on the dot.....just to freak everyone out.

Then people would get pissed cause they would miss the show :rofl-lol:

I also see this article made no mention of the snowstorm that hit that area before this show took place. From what I read the whole show was late, even the openers.

what the fuck happened to usa?

this is a rock show,take it or leave it. axl should do more europe and south america touring, where real rockers are, not chickens goin to bed around 10.

and yes, we all have jobs and gotta get up early and work more than people out there.

Dublin (Ireland) .Guns were due on stage at 8pm and welcome to the Jungle rang out at 8.02pm!!!

Apparently the venue has a strict curfew,as it is in quite a well to do residential area which results in

massive fines for overruns!!

alx quotes " you have to forgive me,I'm not used to being out this early in the day" & " help me,help me, I'm melting, I'm melting! (as the sun set to the left of the stage).

Now why can't he get his ass on stage by 9-10pm and party all he likes after that.

I feel really sorry for fans who turn up not knowing his current routine.It's ok for

well read fans,who know exactly what to expect and make arrangments.At least

we know and if we get stung we can say we knew in advance.

AXL:"you have to forgive me,I'm not used to being out this early in the day"

^^ WOW! talk about a slacker ...no wonder there is no album, poor lil axl boy has to sleep in til the middle of the day because he has no responsibilities and is a precious celebrity.......no work ethic at all, if its a sunday morning after a night out then sure, but if your booked for a tour and you care about making an impression, then SHOW UP ON TIME! or dont show up at all

your over 40 so act like it

It is an absolute discrace that they play so late, they may be living the rock lifestyle but other people who actually work for a living the next day shouldnt have to put up with that crap.

very unprofessional by Axl and GNR. .....

and im sure the Axl lovers will just defend him at all costs but ive never come across a band to be that late on stage so often, most shows the bands are near or on time.

pull your finger out Axl, your not a god, and people dont live by your watch

Edited by motownjunkie

every time i go to a concert i schedule the next day off in advance. i expect to be out late. i know i'm going to drink and that even after the show is over i'm going to hang out with friends, keep drinking, etc, etc....

these people complaining in the article sound like whiny pussies to me. you ain't going to the local theatre to see a movie, ok? it's a freakin' concert. what if they came on right on time, but played for 4 hours a la Bruce Springsteen? are you complaining then?

if you have to be at home by a certain time to have your milk and cookies, then save yourself the trouble and go buy the Tokyo DVD's and stay at home.

my 2 cents...............

Edited by artfromtex

1-When you go to a GNR gig you DO know it never starts the hour it´s suppossed.

2-This time the delay was not on purpose but it was caused because of the storm and bad weather,and they were suppossed to fly from Chicago but due to the weather they had to drive and it took them around 10 hours.

This is what Beta said in HTGTH:

And there you are talking out of your ass. That shows that you don't know nothing about nothing and of course don't know Axl. We did not forget the time, did not even took a chance of waiting to fly. Left Chicago around noon. What would normally take about 5 to 6 hours, it took us 10 1/2 hours. Please know that I am not explainning myself to you but trying to let people know the truth. And, if you were trying to be funny, bad joke.

This is fucking rediculous. All you whining assholes complaining about having to stay up a little late. This is rock and roll you know. Maybe you should attend a Britney Spears concert instead. The guy who left after one song is a fucking pussy. No real fan would give a fuck how late it was.

BULLSHIT not every GNR fan is a big drinker and there are fans who want the show scheduled on time.

for those who are first going to a GNR gig they dont know that you should have to take the next day off and prepare to party into the night, stupidist logic ive ever read.

rock n roll is showing up on time and playing a great concert and keeping your word, not acting like a tool

not everyone wants to stay up until all hours especially if they cant get the next day off ....i would want to see a show on time, then go home and drink with friends or go to bed

if the show was supposed to be on at 21:00 and it starts at midnight because Axl needs a sleep in then i give up on new GNR ....

next time i show up for work i wont start until half way through my shift then?

Edited by motownjunkie

BULLSHIT not every GNR fan is a big drinker and there are fans who want a the show scheduled on time.

for those who are first going to a GNR gig they dont know that you should have to take the next day off and prepare to party into the night, stupidist logic ive ever read.

rock n roll is showing up on time and playing a great concert and keeping your word, not acting like a tool

not everyone wantd to stay up until all hours especially if they cant get the next day off ....i would want to see a show on time, then go home and drink with friends or go to bed

Rock N' Roll is about not having rules and doing what you want.

I got up at 5:30 the next day after the show got over at 2 and I got home at 3:30. If I can do it, so can other people. Suck it up. It's one fucking day you're going to be tired at work. Boo fucking hoo.

Edited by Caught in the Rye

BULLSHIT not every GNR fan is a big drinker and there are fans who want a the show scheduled on time.

not everyone wantd to stay up until all hours especially if they cant get the next day off ....i would want to see a show on time, then go home and drink with friends or go to bed

Rock N' Roll is about not having rules and doing what you want.

I got up at 5:30 the next day after the show got over at 2 and I got home at 3:30. If I can do it, so can other people. Suck it up. It's one fucking day you're going to be tired at work. Boo fucking hoo.

Bullshit, all the great live shows ive seen the bands played on time because its called being considerate to the schedule .....imagine the staff of the venue, and especially the LIGHTING crew having to wait for an UNKNOWN time of when Axl feels like stepping out on stage.

if i was management id cancel the show unless there was a good reason to be three hours off time.

it aint Rock N Roll, and you have a disturbed view on what the definition of Rock N Roll is, its bands who create exciting music and respect the fans, and to me turning up whenever you like is taking a piss on the every person who buys a ticket

not everyone wants to party on after the show, i know that for me the show is the "party" and when its done i want to go home

"AWAITS AXL'S WIVES TO RESPOND"

Edited by motownjunkie

I'm in no way an "Axl wife" but they were called the most dangerous band in the world for a reason. They did what they wanted because that's what it's about for them.

its about them and not the fans. clearly thats true

oh so "YOULL SEE US WHEN WE FEEL LIKE PLAYING BECAUSE WE"RE GUNS N ROSES" ......not true they arnt the old band, the new band hasnt released anything in over ten years and just had a new guitarist added, they have alot to prove and arnt a young Rock band anymore .....

they need to set an example and prove that they are still relevant, and its like they've returned thinking they are gods who should respected no matter what shit they pull, Axl mostly.

different band now, Axl is older and supposedly wiser with so much to prove, its just slackness .... new guitarists hired again .....showing up late is no statement of Rock N Roll .....most dangerous band in the world?! ...means shit to me, they make exciting music, drinking and screwing up your schedule is a slacker attitude, drink and dont fuck up your starting time, thats Rock N Roll

anyway i still think its crap they dont play near the starting time, i dont no any other band that treats the crowd that way, and its the opposite of rock n roll in my eyes

its not about drinking and partying, its about working and being considerate to those who bought tickets

Edited by motownjunkie