Guns N' Roses Take Over MTSC

thomase

Monday, December 4, 2006

Guns n' Roses take over MTSC tonight

by Jen Sharpe

www.mtscentre.ca

If you had a spelling test—or a hearing test—on your Tuesday morning agenda, chances are you missed Monday night’s concert at the MTS Centre. The eye-opening, ear-busting show was definitely not for those with school night curfews or sensitive hearing, but that’s a good thing. At a Guns ‘n Roses concert, a healthy dose of F-bombs and fireballs is expected. Encouraged, perhaps, if you proved your stamina with general admission floor seats.

From 8:00pm to just after 2:00am, risqué dancers, squealing guitars, and classic hard rock tunes kept 11,000 GnR fans rocking for six solid hours. After a skin-baring performance by the Suicide Girls, a heavy half-hour show from Helmet, and a 75-minute set from former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach, headlining Guns ‘n Roses took to the stage just before midnight.

Fronted by the fiery Axl Rose, GnR opened up their set with “Welcome to the Jungle” from 1987’s Appetite for Destruction. With two keyboardists, three guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer in his GnR army, rock star Rose commanded the stage and the crowd with veteran know-how.

This isn’t surprising, because the band—in all of its permutations—has been delivering killer rock shows for over 20 years. Although Axl is the only remaining original member, the band was a cohesive unit onstage, covering classic GnR tunes like “Sweet Child of Mine” and “Mr. Brownstone” flawlessly.

Though his bandmates have changed, Axl has resisted the ravages of time: plenty of pecs and nary a wrinkle, the 44-year-old looks better than he did decades ago. Sporting Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses, skin-tight jeans, and neatly braided hair, Mr. Rose let his bandmates cover the grungy, gritty aspect of rock-n-roll style.

Though he looks shiny and new, Axl’s voice is as nasal and squealy as it ever was. That’s also a good thing. Even through the softer tunes (and there were quite few), the famed frontman can hit the high notes and hold the long ones just like in his heyday.

The show was peppered with memorable moments, including a mid-set visit by Bubbles of The Trailer Park Boys, stories about border crossing troubles, and a handful of lighter-lit ballads.

For at least one concert reviewer, Guns n’ Roses also managed to clear up a long-held misconception: Turns out “November Rain,” “Patience,” and “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” aren’t best enjoyed while slow dancing in Junior High. The lighters, the crowd, and Axl’s on-stage antics top any butterflies you — okay . . . I — may have felt in an echoey gym. That’s a very good thing.

http://www.mtscentre.ca/press_releases/con...hp?press_id=204

great review and this was posting at htgth by Karri

I was at this show and I don't think she is biased at all. That show kicked fucking ass!! My only complaint is that they didn't play I.R.S. or Rocket Queen but we did get Down on The Farm and Used to Love Her (With Baz and Bubbles). Great show. Axl sounded awesome...time for sleep.

Yeah, props for him for not giving a shit about his fans.

Your a fucking clown.

I was at that show and let me tell you this whole everyone has to wait 1-2 hrs before GNR starts playing was not the case in Winnipeg. There were 3 fucking acts before Guns N' Roses and there was not much downtime between each act.

Here's my quick review:

Suicide Girls are basically a bunch of hookers and that one with the dreads and undercut has a wrinkly ass. The rest are sexy but fuck would they give you a nasty case of (insert disease here).

Helmet is just fucking garbage.

Sebastian Bach - Personally I think Bas kicked ass...great frontman. It was a fucking awesome when he threw out some idiot kid. I was about maybe 5 people to that kids right side and there were assholes everywhere pushing their way to the front (I wouldn't expect any less). Anyways, I always loved Skid Row's S/T album & Slave to the Grind. Bas was great...great shape great voice and very entertaining. I really loved when Bach said to that kid, "you know if you flip the bird to Axl he'll jump in there and kick your fücking skull in, so you should be thanking me for doing you a favor" (that is when he ejected that kid.) Something like that, awesome just awesome.

Guns N' Roses -

Axl Rose - fucking dynamite I tell you what. The man was hitting high notes and running around like no mans business. I love the rants, even if they were happy calm rants. I reall

Robin Finck - looked awesome when he came out, he had this cool hat on with jeans and jean jacket...what more can you ask? He was full of energy and ripped the place apart. Oh and he jumped into the crowd right ontop of my girlfriend and I...he was one sweaty motherfücker haha.

Richard Fortus - guy reminds me of Ronnie Wood and I love Ronnie Wood. Nuff said.

Tommy Stinson - he was cool to but looked stoned...at some point during the show Axl said something to the crowd then Tommy had this big open mouthed grin on his face. Anyone know what he said? Something about St. Louis maybe?

Bumblefoot - he snuck out before the Suicide Girls were on...I touched his guitar. Deadly. As you know fanastic guitarist.

Dizzy Reed - did a killer fucking piano jam session and played Madagascar...wooo a few people knew the tune.

Chris Pittman - I'm not sure what he was doing, he got introduced by Axl and that's all I remember...sorry Pittman.

Drummer - don't know who the drummer was...did a good job though.

Maybe I'll do a fullblown writeup later on...thanks for the great show boys!

I think the review of 4/5 stars is accurate

...oh and lots of my friends were saying this was the best show they ever went to. So there you go.

However, I think the only way to get the elusive 5/5 is...as much as I may get slagged for saying this...you need at least Slash back.

Last thing, the security guards said if you have any tshirts with Slash or any ex-band members please cover them up. I was wearing a Motley shirt ... and I said to the guard ... "how about Motley Crue, are they okay?" Then everyone waiting started laughing... and the guard said, "I think you'll be okay {laughing} but who knows what we will be told in 5 minutes".

Great show! Go see it!

...oh and lots of my friends were saying this was the best show they ever went to. So there you go.

yea, but they're friends with you. their taste is subject in my book.

Well I wouldn't be to concerned because all of us are Slash-ites. So them saying that means alot. They are not Axl fanboys. And I never said it was the best show I went to. Very damn good though.

yea, but they're friends with you. their taste is subject in my book.

Seek help.

I think it's amusing that people actually get excited over a few semi-professional photos.

You guys do realize that real bands do this all the time right? They also create and release music.

Happy Tuesday, suckers. The tour's ending and Axl's going back to the mansion with enough money to pay the coke bills for another three years. Then maybe we'll get another Chinese Democracy world tour. I hope he plays AFD songs again.

Fuck, I hope you get banned by then.

I think it's amusing that people actually get excited over a few semi-professional photos.

You guys do realize that real bands do this all the time right? They also create and release music.

Happy Tuesday, suckers. The tour's ending and Axl's going back to the mansion with enough money to pay the coke bills for another three years. Then maybe we'll get another Chinese Democracy world tour. I hope he plays AFD songs again.

ha

ha

Don't hate me. I didn't promise you the album.

Your right, you didn't. But I will dislike you because, just like Kaneda, you spew the same shit over and over again.

ha

Don't hate me. I didn't promise you the album.

Your right, you didn't. But I will dislike you because, just like Kaneda, you spew the same shit over and over again.

and how's that any different from teh same shit you and the axl nutswingers spew daily? we've each got our oppinions, we each share them.

i personally expect a little more from axl than what he's shown this year.

i understand that you're frustrated after another series of broken promises over CD. but don't blame me. at the end of the day, we're on the same team. we both want axl to release new music and become relevant again.

Ok big guy, you got me. Sorry for supporting something I like :rolleyes: