Jungle Revisited: Marathon GN'R gig rocks MTS Centre 'til wee hours

Jewpanese99

http://www.whatsonwinnipeg.com/index.php?o...ew&id=12519

Jungle Revisited: Marathon GN'R gig rocks MTS Centre 'til wee hours

December 5th, 2006

For Guns N’ Roses fans Winnipeg was Paradise City Monday night.

Well, make that Tuesday morning.

The band are notorious for starting their shows late and took to the MTS Centre stage at midnight following a short (in Axl Rose’s world) break of only 45 minutes after opener Sebastian Bach finished.

Why Rose chooses to make his fans wait is a mystery, but the best guesses are to build anticipation for his travelling circus or so people can get enough of a beer buzz going to truly enjoy the group’s trademark brand of blooze-based hard rock.

Either way, when Rose came on he and his excellent seven-member band — three guitarists, a bassist, two percussionists and a keyboardist — were on top of their rock ’n’ roll game, much to the delight of the diverse crowd of 11,000 fans who filled the arena for a night of nostalgia.

For some it was a chance to relive the glory days of the late 1980s and early 1990s before the grunge movement killed the sleazy excessiveness Guns N’ Roses practiced — although there were many there who looked like they weren’t even born when GN’R were ticking off their fans the first time around.

For others it was a matter of pure curiosity: Would the erratic Rose even show up (if he didn’t, MTS Centre staff had a contingency plan in place and the police presence was extremely high in and around the arena to prevent hooliganism), and if he did would he be a moody self-centred jerk or the embodiment of what a great frontman should be.

Fortunately it was the later.

The group kicked off the two-hour-and-20-minute show with the familiar guitar intro to Welcome to the Jungle before an explosion of pyro announced Rose’s arrival centre stage wearing jeans, a black buttoned-up shirt and sunglasses with his long hair braided into unsightly looking corn rows.

His distinctive nasally whine sounded as strong as always on It’s So Easy and Mr. Brownstone, two more favourites from 1987’s Appetite for Destruction that opened the show. Rose looked and sounded good, but the years have taken their toll on the 44-year-old in other ways — he relied on a teleprompter situated on a stage extension to help him with lyrics.

Rose seemed genuine when speaking to the crowd. He talked about how he was looking forward to the Canadian dates and explained why he and the band still enjoy playing the same material nightly, even if much of it dates back 20 years.

“It doesn’t mean we’re not into it. It’s like doing the tango or Bossa Nova, but here you’re dancing with guitars,” he said.

Speaking of dancing, Rose’s two basic moves are still that weird serpentine slither and a series of herky-jerky bounce steps. I hereby nominate Rose for some crash course lessons on Dancing With the Stars.

The set list was a trip through some of the group’s greatest moments with Live and Let Die, Sweet Child O’ Mine, Out Ta Get Me, November Rain, My Michelle, Patience, Nightrain and, of course Paradise City, all revisited and given extra muscle by the sheer number of musicians on stage. It was great to see former Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson and Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck up there, but the night would have been more special with guys named Slash, Izzy and Duff backing Rose.

Instead, there was a crowd-pleasing appearance by Trailer Park Boys star Bubbles who joined Rose and Bach for the country-tinged Liquor and Whores and another GN’R classic, Used to Love Her.

Rose and his crew previewed a number of new songs from the long-awaited Chinese Democracy album: Better was a straight-up blast of guitar rock that sounded like it was written during the band’s heyday, The Blues was a blustery piano-based power ballad, and the title track was a lengthy, mid-tempo, symphonic rocker that lacked a discernible hook.

Whether the album will add to the band’s legacy remains to be seen, but the songs fit in perfectly during the GN’R v. 2006 concert.

Four hours before the headliners took the stage, the tattooed and pierced Suicide Girls burlesque troupe stripped down to their thongs and pasties while recreating the famous ear-cutting scene from Reservoir Dogs, danced in flaming hula hoops, poured chocolate sauce on each other and threw peanuts to the audience while playing the parts of sexy airline stewardesses.

Next up were 1990s alt-metal stalwarts Helmet, who were added to the bill after the Eagles of Death Metal were dropped/quit (depending on whose version of the story you believe) from the tour after one show.

Helmet find themselves in the same situation as GN’R: a band with only one original remaining member. In this case, Page Hamilton led his quartet of unknowns through 40 minutes of edgy noise rock and gritty alterna-metal climaxing with the title track of their/his career highlight, Meantime.

Gilmore Girls star Bach followed with a frantic set of songs from his days as leader of Skid Row . The thrashy Slave to the Grind, trashy Here I Am and sappy power ballads 18 and Life and I Remember You were mixed in with some new generic hard rock solo material.

The long-haired vocalist/actor was a manic whirlwind of energy, running all over the stage and banging his long hair in front of his four-piece band while screaming out two decades of lyrics and getting the crowd to sing along during an impromptu version of the Canadian national anthem, with an incorrect line thrown in for good measure despite his repeated reminders he was Canadian. He even waxed patriotic by dedicating the song Canadian Metalhead to the troops who died overseas, “for our right to rock and roll.”

The good-time party vibe turned slightly ugly near the end of his one-hour set when Bach got two girls thrown out for being antagonistic during one of his many between song rants. Seems he can give it, but can’t take it.

rob.williams@freepress.mb.ca

Guns N’ Roses

MTS Centre

Dec. 4, 2006

Attendance: 11,000

I hate how they say that axl made the fans wait he came on just a couple minutes after they finshed setting everything up.

I know what you mean. I also think the Sebastian thing was blown out of proportion too. I only saw one guy get the boot not two girls.

I hate how they say that axl made the fans wait he came on just a couple minutes after they finshed setting everything up.

I know what you mean. I also think the Sebastian thing was blown out of proportion too. I only saw one guy get the boot not two girls.

Yeah, I don't know why the guy said two girls they only showed the one dude get taken out for being an ass.