Recording Studio

Hi

I don't post much so most of you won't know me.

Anyway in 2 and a half weeks my band are going into a professional recording studio for the first time. I was wondering whether someone experienced in recording could give me a little insight to what I can expect. Also just wondering any tips about mixing (there is an engineer there but maybe you have some tips which aren't obvious.)

Any information would be appreciated

DTGNRVR

keep things simple. dont be awed by the ability to be able to layer a track 700000000 times with different guitar parts. Just keep focus on what you've got to do and don't be awed or intimidated of whats around you. Just have fun.

also, don't eat any food near the mixing desk. Grated cheese is a bitch to clean up.

keep things simple. dont be awed by the ability to be able to layer a track 700000000 times with different guitar parts. Just keep focus on what you've got to do and don't be awed or intimidated of whats around you. Just have fun.

also, don't eat any food near the mixing desk. Grated cheese is a bitch to clean up.

Thanks for the advice. :)

What do you mean by a PRO studio when you say PRO?

see, the problem here is that the studio isn´t more PRO than the crew in the joint.

A creative and GOOD producer can work magic on a band with a good engineer onboard. Unless he´s an engineer himself. Some producers do everything them selves. some opt for different ppl to do different stuff. such as mixing and engineering.

If the guy who´s miking your drums and and helping you to get the most out of your vocals don´t know what he is doing. Then you are FUCKED. Doesn´t matter if the studio is worth 500000 billion dollars.

You can have all the Lexicon, SSL and NEVE magic in the world. But nowdays it doesn´t always matter.

Like the dude posted, keep things simple.

Talk with the producer and decide on what you want to achieve. If the producer is pulling you in a direction you don´t want to go. Then your performance might suffer from it. Even though he is right on the money in his suggestion. Having the right producer and keeping things simple usually works. Things you might´ve overlooked should be snapped up by a good producer. Remember, shit in = shit out. If you suck, the music will suck....

A suggestion from me would be, work on finding the right sound for things. Make sure the drummer, band and everybody are happy with the drum sounds. That will help the drummer on his performance, same thing with guitarist and vocalist. when all these small things are tight, the performance will actually be BETTER. Tell the engineer to get his hands the fuck off the compressor, cus using compressor takes SKILL. And most of these newage engineers have a fucked up view on what a compressor is supposed to do. All in all it does just fuck up your dynamic range. And a GREAT performance with no compression is a LOT better than a lousy performance with tons of compression.

Take your shit seriously and don´t kill your dynamic range. Respect it and embrace it. GOOD sounding records don´t have to have tons of compression. Though the idiot engineer might tell you that. :)

I´ve experienced that twice, when I had to go into the control room and ask the engineer if he had any compression on, he said yes, and I told him to turn it the fuck off. It helped a lot. FOR THAT SONG. So all I can say... if they guys don´t know what they are doing, do things simple and try to focus on the SOUND of your band rather than the production. Make sure you get down two to three different versions of each track. All in good quality both sound and performance wise.

Then hand it to a mixer and let the mixer mix it ALONE before you come with any wishes, demands and "band-mix" suggestions. That way you can compare HIS version to what you had in mind. And it will make his approach to things easier.

PS! An inexperienced Engineer and producer shouldn´t TOUCH the EQing and keep ALL tracks DRY when getting it on tape. Let the mixer do the EQs and all the other shit.

And remember, there are other things to think of when choosing a studio. You guys should really shop around. Find the studio YOU like. Not go for the option with an expensive SSL console with all the vintage gear if the ppl who work there are idiots and the vibe of the studio isn´t good, and just because it´s cheap.

The vibe MUST be right!! It´ll help your performance. and the bands performance.

just a suggestion though. :)

see, the problem here is that the studio isn´t more PRO than the crew in the joint.

A creative and GOOD producer can work magic on a band with a good engineer onboard. Unless he´s an engineer himself. Some producers do everything them selves. some opt for different ppl to do different stuff. such as mixing and engineering.

If the guy who´s miking your drums and and helping you to get the most out of your vocals don´t know what he is doing. Then you are FUCKED. Doesn´t matter if the studio is worth 500000 billion dollars.

You can have all the Lexicon, SSL and NEVE magic in the world. But nowdays it doesn´t always matter.

Talk with the producer and decide on what you want to achieve. If the producer is pulling you in a direction you don´t want to go. Then your performance might suffer from it. Even though he is right on the money in his suggestion. Having the right producer and keeping things simple usually works. Things you might´ve overlooked should be snapped up by a good producer. Remember, shit in = shit out. If you suck, the music will suck....

A suggestion from me would be, work on finding the right sound for things. Make sure the drummer, band and everybody are happy with the drum sounds. That will help the drummer on his performance, same thing with guitarist and vocalist. when all these small things are tight, the performance will actually be BETTER. Tell the engineer to get his hands the fuck off the compressor, cus using compressor takes SKILL. And most of these newage engineers have a fucked up view on what a compressor is supposed to do. All in all it does just fuck up your dynamic range. And a GREAT performance with no compression is a LOT better than a lousy performance with tons of compression.

Take your shit seriously and don´t kill your dynamic range. Respect it and embrace it. GOOD sounding records don´t have to have tons of compression. Though the idiot engineer might tell you that. :)

I´ve experienced that twice, when I had to go into the control room and ask the engineer if he had any compression on, he said yes, and I told him to turn it the fuck off. It helped a lot. FOR THAT SONG. So all I can say... if they guys don´t know what they are doing, do things simple and try to focus on the SOUND of your band rather than the production. Make sure you get down two to three different versions of each track. All in good quality both sound and performance wise.

Then hand it to a mixer and let the mixer mix it ALONE before you come with any wishes, demands and "band-mix" suggestions. That way you can compare HIS version to what you had in mind. And it will make his approach to things easier.

PS! An inexperienced Engineer and producer shouldn´t TOUCH the EQing and keep ALL tracks DRY when getting it on tape. Let the mixer do the EQs and all the other shit.

And remember, there are other things to think of when choosing a studio. You guys should really shop around. Find the studio YOU like. Not go for the option with an expensive SSL console with all the vintage gear if the ppl who work there are idiots and the vibe of the studio isn´t good, and just because it´s cheap.

The vibe MUST be right!! It´ll help your performance. and the bands performance.

Hey man

Thanks for that it's really appreciated. It sounds like you really don't think engineers know what they are doing a lot of the time. I'll bear that in mind when recording.

Thanks again

Hey man

Thanks for that it's really appreciated. It sounds like you really don't think engineers know what they are doing a lot of the time. I'll bear that in mind when recording.

Thanks again

No I´m not saying that. I´m not trying to be derogatory or anything. It´s just a fact that there are engineers out there who simply think they can work magic with music. it´s not always the case. And less can be more.

There are many fantastic engineers out there. Pioneers and "heros", many of them believe in the fact that less is more. Just look at Brucie Swedien. please remember that these guys also work with GREAT musicians, so I´m not gonna sit here and talk TOO fondly of them ;) afterall there is a thing called money involved here.

But just don´t let yourself be fooled by a shining 128 track console :D

To be honest, I´ve been in a nice studio, with useless people. My music didn´t turn out any better.

But working in a shit studio with a brilliant engineer/producer did alot more.

It´s like watching NASCAR or Formula 1 bro, those cars are fast and capable of going very fast. But if the driver doesn´t know what he is doing, well, my guess he is gonna crash :)

Hey man

Thanks again

No I´m not saying that. I´m not trying to be derogatory or anything. It´s just a fact that there are engineers out there who simply think they can work magic with music. it´s not always the case. And less can be more.

There are many fantastic engineers out there. Pioneers and "heros", many of them believe in the fact that less is more. Just look at Brucie Swedien. please remember that these guys also work with GREAT musicians, so I´m not gonna sit here and talk TOO fondly of them ;) afterall there is a thing called money involved here.

But just don´t let yourself be fooled by a shining 128 track console :D

To be honest, I´ve been in a nice studio, with useless people. My music didn´t turn out any better.

But working in a shit studio with a brilliant engineer/producer did alot more.

It´s like watching NASCAR or Formula 1 bro, those cars are fast and capable of going very fast. But if the driver doesn´t know what he is doing, well, my guess he is gonna crash :)

Yeh I see what you mean.

Thanks

Be careful with time allocation, be sure not too rehearse or be tempted to write and perform anything new in the studio, it will end up chewing up so much time youll quickly run out of cash.

hehe! :) I second that! :)

Haha, no it's okay we know exactly what we are playing, though knowing it well is a different matter....