So What Happened?

raodonne

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tour has been great. Axl and the rest of the band have sounded great in almost every show. The disappointment is only among us die hards who wanted to see the band release their album to great success, play more CD songs and be solidified as a real band. I guess we see it as a failure because we know how much better it could and should have been.

But it has still been great. I think alot of casual fans have gotten a more positive view on the band after seeing them in concert, and that counts for something.

I'm one of the few fans that came on board exclusively because of the new material - Madagascar and OMG are what got me interested in GNR in general. Of course, I went out and bought AFD/Lies/Illusions/etc, and the rest is history.

But the reason that I became interested was Chinese Democracy - And I just don't have the interest in seeing the band run the AFD songs into the ground, because I've just grown tired of that album over the last few years.

I guess to answer your question, no, I haven't seen them - I just don't have the interest in dropping $70+ to hear a mostly AFD set.

I wouldn't call the tour a failure or anything - They're having fun, and the fans are having fun. But for me, personally, it's a disappointment.

Edited by EccoTides

The tour has been great. Axl and the rest of the band have sounded great in almost every show. The disappointment is only among us die hards who wanted to see the band release their album to great success, play more CD songs and be solidified as a real band. I guess we see it as a failure because we know how much better it could and should have been.

But it has still been great. I think alot of casual fans have gotten a more positive view on the band after seeing them in concert, and that counts for something.

Better than nothing though? I mean, I see your point I would love to tell all my friends who kid me about being a GNR faithfull that GNR was #1 on the charts. Good point, wow that would be cool, but at least we got to see em.

failure???? in what ways would it be a failure??

i've seen them twice on this tour and it has been fucking AWESOME. pyro, classics, looooong ass sets, solos, mini songs between songs, obscure songs, crowd sing a longs, cover songs, controversy.... i mean, the ride has been nothing short of thrilling and spectacular so far... this is truly a MEGA tour packed with everything a fan could really want out of it. you really do get the full price of your ticket's worth......

just examine the fucking facts. anyone else who is saying this is not an amazing tour- bad journalists, biased critics, weekend fans, etc. are just that... uninformed and out of touch. are they going to a different show or something or are they just blind and or deaf?

so no, i do NOT think this tour is a "failure." PSH. ha.

I have seen them four times this year. The shows have been great. It is just strange that they have not capitilized on so many opportunities. GNR's PR is abysmal. Had they done adequate advertising these shows would have been far better. I think it has a little to do with ego as well. It's been a long strange trip. And we have no idea when it will end. These tours have definitely not been a failure. When GNR releases something to the public, pop-culture will take over.

have you seen them? regret going?

I don't regret going to New York for opening night Hammerstein one bit. I am not sure though I would have gone again in Cleveland like I did had someone told me in early October there would be no new material played, and the setlist would be worse than the one I saw earlier in the year. Now I can say for certain I will not go see them again until there is some sort of album out. I have seen this setlist save for a song or 2 4 times now and have about reached my fill. The novelty is definitely wearing off.

I would almost rather have the band do nothing than continue the nostalgia tour if he isn't actually serious about releasing an album. All he is doing is tarnishing his and Gnr's legacy with this album fiasco, and the longer he continues to tour without releasing something as if that is perfectly normal it just makes things worse.

failure???? in what ways would it be a failure??

i've seen them twice on this tour and it has been fucking AWESOME. pyro, classics, looooong ass sets, solos, mini songs between songs, obscure songs, crowd sing a longs, cover songs, controversy.... i mean, the ride has been nothing short of thrilling and spectacular so far... this is truly a MEGA tour packed with everything a fan could really want out of it. you really do get the full price of your ticket's worth......

just examine the fucking facts. anyone else who is saying this is not an amazing tour- bad journalists, biased critics, weekend fans, etc. are just that... uninformed and out of touch. are they going to a different show or something or are they just blind and or deaf?

so no, i do NOT think this tour is a "failure." PSH. ha.

Heh, well I read alot of posts on this very forum which say with no album, this is a failure, axl is a joke, his career is over, he is ruining the careers of the other band members, I just wanted to get some opinions of some people who had actually SEEN the shows.

Easy, I am on your side ;)

So in essence, even though people hate to come to terms with this, it is a tour in support of Appetite for Destruction. If thats what Axl wants, fine. But promote the tour as that and people wouldn't have a certain set of expectations.

Well If that is what he wants to do then I see more logic in him phoning Slash, Duff, Izzy and Matt. It makes more sense than this. Why play a show with 13songs or so with a bunch of guys who didn't even write them and who don't even sound anything close to the original version of it? That is called a cover.

Edited by Son Of A Gun

No doubt, any GN'R show is an experience. Even if the setlist was composed of only Silk Worms, Anything Goes, Think About You, You Ain't The First, Bad Apples and Human Being I would still pay for the ticket and have a great time. It's GN'R, it doesn't matter what they play really.

However, I understand both sides on the subject. Nobody's right and nobody's wrong whatever their stance is. There are very valid points to both opinions. I'm just saying I damn well understand why some fans feel disappointed and cheated. I even agree with them sometimes, but I still enjoyed my show and will no doubt enjoy any future show, whatever setlist.

Still, you can't deny the fact that things could have been magic instead of just great. And going by what has been said this year, that's how it should have been.

I`v seen em two times this summer, and the shows was mindblowing.. One of the best days in my life.

I never regret going to their shows, and if they tour Europe again.. im gonna go see em again.

BUT...... <_< This is the secound Chinese Democracy tour since 2001/2002 and if he can`t deliver the cd this time, the tour is a big joke.

Change the name of the tour.... no need to call it a CD tour whitout an album ;)

Still, you can't deny the fact that things could have been magic instead of just great. And going by what has been said this year, that's how it should have been.

agreed

I see dead flower is looking/lurking, here comes the negative shit *braces himself*

Edited by Gunzen

Well I saw them in SF, 9/21 and will see then again twice this week.

I'm in the same spot as you, although I'm only seeing them once this upcoming Sunday. I loved SF's concert, and I can't wait. :heart:

So with all that being said, if the tour ends, and nothing else comes from it. Are you people who got to see the show regretting going, and think it is a failure? Or dissapointment? As Jameslofton29 put it?

Not in my opinion. Seeing them live has been nothing short of amazing, and it makes the wait for Chinese Democracy so much easier. Of course I'll love it when they tour after the CD comes out, but I'm grateful for how they've been doing so far.

agreed

I see dead flower is looking/lurking, here comes the negative shit *braces himself*

I smell Del James... I think he divides his time between forums and World of Warcraft.

agreed

I smell Del James... I think he divides his time between forums and World of Warcraft.

I smell underdeveloped comprehension skills.

But the joke was funny though, I'll give you that.

:P

agreed

I smell underdeveloped comprehension skills.

But the joke was funny though, I'll give you that.

:P

Edited by Gunzen

If nothing else does come of this tour, I think the thing that takes the luster off it the most in the eyes of many is that it is pretty clear these tours have been nothing more than a cash grab. They have known for a while now the album is not coming out, and I think it is kind of shady they didn't tell us when they knew to preserve ticket sales and avoid getting beat up in the media. I am sure many others like me bought tickets for the shows on the assumption the album would possibly be out by our shows given they made it clear it was coming this year. To have things end up the way they have with them taking advantage of people's optimism to line their pockets kind of leaves a sour taste in ones mouth.

So in essence, even though people hate to come to terms with this, it is a tour in support of Appetite for Destruction. If thats what Axl wants, fine. But promote the tour as that and people wouldn't have a certain set of expectations.

Well If that is what he wants to do then I see more logic in him phoning Slash, Duff, Izzy and Matt. It makes more sense than this. Why play a show with 13songs or so with a bunch of guys who didn't even write them and who don't even sound anything close to the original version of it? That is called a cover.

I agree. I've been saying it since this tour started. If Axl isnt going to "move GNR forward and bring the fans along"(his words), then just reunite with the original lineup as soon as the VR thing has run its course(thats probably what will happen). There's just no point in continuing this farce any longer if its just AFD down everyones throats. Been there, done that, and seen it done a lot better. I dont even want a reunion at this point. I want to see what new GNR has to offer the music world. But if its AFD, go back home. I'll be seeing them in concert in January, but until CD comes out(or a reunion occurs), I am no longer paying to hear a tribute to AFD.

If nothing else does come of this tour, I think the thing that takes the luster off it the most in the eyes of many is that it is pretty clear these tours have been nothing more than a cash grab. They have known for a while now the album is not coming out, and I think it is kind of shady they didn't tell us when they knew to preserve ticket sales and avoid getting beat up in the media. I am sure many others like me bought tickets for the shows on the assumption the album would possibly be out by our shows given they made it clear it was coming this year. To have things end up the way they have with them taking advantage of people's optimism to line their pockets kind of leaves a sour taste in ones mouth.

To me as long as I get my moneys worth when I buy something, I am cool with it, the CD is a sepparate issue for me, but I see your point too, Damn. :question:

I saw then four times over the summer and even without CD it was fucking great,great show by a great band but little or no respect for fans regarding CD and our loyalty.

If you havn't seen this band live its short sighted to criticise them, its not short sighted to criticise the way fans get treated by management, we are just a cash cow to them :(

In terms of value for money i would have paid ten times what i paid to see them and still considered it a bargain.

This tour isn't really too beneficial to people who haven't been able to see them. Like me, they haven't come to Australia (yet...fingers crossed), but I still think it's pretty good for them to be touring, it's a step forward. Although, for fans who don't get the chance to see them....the tour is pretty much a flop without CD (for them).

If you get what I'm saying.....

here's a thought:

Axl failed to pay up for a painting a little white ago. Maybe Axl is cash strapped and a tour was needed to keep paying the bills.

Edited by dobadog