What would the new music sound like with the old band?

Guest Apollo

Everybody keeps crying for a re-union . . . but really, what would we be getting????

A bunch of music from 40 year old men is NOT gonna have the same life-changing aspect to it that Appetite did some 20 years ago. They were hungry, mean and gritty back then. Today, they are all millionares, living in mansions, living the life the rest of us dream about.

What sound would the old guys and Axl come up with? You people complain about the HYPE and buildup for Chinese Democracy - but my God, the hype for a reunited Guns N Roses album would be off the charts! If they didn't deliver a masterpiece - it would be ripped apart like Paris Hilton's pussy on a Saturday night after the bars close.

Would Slash/Duff/Izzy's playing make songs like The Blues and Better and IRS any better than the current crew makes them???

Would Axl's singing make the paint-by-numbers dribble that Velvet Revolver puts out any more tolerable???

I'm not saying it wouldn't work. A reunion would be kick-ass. But I don't think just putting those four guys in a room together for six months is gonna produce the next Appetite.

The COOLEST part of a re-union would obviously be seeing them on tour again. Watching the original lineup jam together on stage.

What do you think?

Do you all think that the "magic" that produced appetite and illusion songs would magically work again?

No, I don't think it would be the same and perhaps things are better left the way they currently are. But these guys together haven't made one bad album. They are 4 for 4 (TSI doesn't count). So I wouldn't bet against them. If they take it seriously I have no doubt they could still make a damn fine album. Slash's riffs and solos, Izzy's writing, Axl's writing and lyrics, Duff's bass lines - this mix works. It's proven.

It's impossible to know how great the new songs would be if Slash and Duff worked on them. It's not like we can hear them. But I do know they'd do them justice. They always did.

Kind of pointless discussing this though - it's simply not in the cards.

I think they would get a great reception from crowds. You get the feeling that UYI was the big blow out for this band it's what they had left. When the past defines them so much what could they do that would say anything. I think if they did a no thrills rock n roll album it would be good. With Izzy tunes and slash influence and Axl ballads in a Classic GNR way. Not epics or experimetal just an album of 12 songs.

in my opinion..as a musician and primarily a guitar player..

The new stuff sounds very UYI to me.

I think the main difference would be no shredding...not that slash can't shred..it just wasn't his style..

however towards the end of the UYI tour, he was startting to tap in his solos a little...

and if u listen to live version of jungle, he often did little fast licks behind the verses.

If I had the songs without the solos, I could probably come up with similar solos to what slash made up..

he often starts his solos on the major 3rd of the chord the solo starts in.

I think with Axl's current writing style, along with the writing style of old band members are doing now, it would put more balls to the new songs currently being played by GNR. Slash, Duff and Izzy were more riff-based than the new guys are so they'd probably play a lot more notes behind the basic chords of the songs.

That's my take on it.

i dont think it would sound like vr, musically, but very similar.. i think axl would add his 2cents in aswell, if anything i think it would sound better than a vr record.

as much as vr rocks..

theres more chemistry with making music with the old gnr lineup

they always did a killer job.

i dont think it would sound like vr, musically, but very similar.. i think axl would add his 2cents in aswell, if anything i think it would sound better than a vr record.

as much as vr rocks..

Wasn't the "chemistry" LOST???? That's why they are not together - because they lost it.

as much as vr rocks..

Wasn't the "chemistry" LOST???? That's why they are not together - because they lost it.

i guess yes and no..

the chemistry of making really good music would still exist with these guys, i just think the patience factor is another.

they didnt lose it, axl lost it =]

put AXL and SLASH together, and you have the magic.

There is no magic in the newGNR. the 2 guitar players of the band, Fortus and Finck, are good, but they still aren't Slash.

Tommy is nowhere near of DUFF on bass. I saw both, DUFF blows Tommy away.

However, BRAIN is better than MATT SORUM, and DIZZY is DIZZY, same guy, great musician.

Edited by rockstar81

A bunch of music from 40 year old men is NOT gonna have the same life-changing aspect to it that Appetite did some 20 years ago. They were hungry, mean and gritty back then. Today, they are all millionares, living in mansions, living the life the rest of us dream about.

Rolling Stones grossed $450 million in ticket sales this year...and they're 60 year old men. I also think the new music with the old band would be real good. I don't mind some of the new tunes, but with the original lineup it would be taken to the next level. If the leaks/live songs are an indication of most of the album, then I don't know why Slash, Izzy and Duff wouldn't want to be a part of it. I suppose after hearing Oh My God, they said "no fuckin way" (I would've too, what an abortion that song is), but that song is so very different than, CD, Better, IRS, etc. These are indeed more UYI type songs.

I just keep thinking back to seeing them in Worcester, with the shredding guitar solos and remembering how much it WASN'T GNR. I had to get up and leave for about 15 minutes.

I don't think just putting those four guys in a room together for six months is gonna produce the next Appetite.

No way. I don't think they could ever sit down and make an album together again, let alone one that comes close to touching Appetite. Hell, they couldn't even do it back in '91, when they released the UYI albums.

The COOLEST part of a re-union would obviously be seeing them on tour again. Watching the original lineup jam together on stage.

Yep, would make more sense seeing Slash and Duff as part of a GnR nostalgia tour than it would Finck and Stinson. I hope that doesn't happen for quite a while yet, though. I'd prefer they keep making new music with Velvet Revolver.

Edited by Dead Flower