Tommy or Duff

dobadog

In all fairness i don't know either, but from what i have seen of the both of them, Duff appears to be the better person. and why do i think this you're thinking? well, over the past week Tommy has been coming out with some stuff (over guitar throwing and are you with us or against us) that has made he appear like a cock.

Edited by dobadog

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duff seems like a really cool guy, but Tommy also seems like a pretty appreciative guy himself. With us or against us, he's probably sick of people like Kanada bitching nonstop, so he's saying fuck them. I think Duff would probably tell people to fuck off if they were as big of cocks as some "fans" are.

In fairness with all that Tommy has put up with and he has stuck with the band, he must be a good guy, well, maybe. The pressure was never on Duff like it is on Tommy everynight. Duff is one cool fucker tho, and so is Tommy. Sorry, I forgot whats the question...

i dont like the whole comparison thing.

but personally, tommy. he's a great guy, you guys dont know how kind and wonderful he is

I agree with no0bs here... Although I don't know him personally, he plays better Bass.

each belonged in his time/his place/his point in the bands evolution, therefore, for today, the general.

but personally, tommy. he's a great guy, you guys dont know how kind and wonderful he is

I agree with no0bs here... Although I don't know him personally, he plays better Bass.

who you calling noob?! im old skool you know it :heart:

who you calling noob?! im old skool you know it :heart:

How YOU doin'...? :kiss:

During their time in GNR, I like Tommy better. Early Duff wasnt quit my thing, he looked like a glammed out Rob Halford with all the leather, and once that stage wore out, he was really fucked up with booze and drugs, and started to get fat.

Tommy has been around the block and knows his bass playing, and he has a TON of energy and is a really cool guy to talk to, and isnt cocky at all. I met him when he did his solo tour right before Village Gorilla Head was release (or it might have been just after), and Tommy isnt bloated and sloppy.

Now, with that said, Duff has straightened himself out, and is pretty close to Tommy as far as presence and energy goes. I like Duffs bass lines in GNR more than I like Tommys bass lines, simply because Duff is more 'punkish' while Tommy is more 'indie' sounding.

Each has their pros and cons I suppose.

I saw both: Duff blows Tommy away. No discussuion possible. Plenty of reasons for that:

- In the newGNR, there are too many people onstage, so Tommy, the bass player, is in the shadow. You barely hear him because the 3 guitars + 2 keyboards overshadow his bass sound.

- Duff's bass sound is recognizable in a second, it's a really specific bass sound whereas Tommy's bass sound is pretty neutral.

- Duff has a "Rockstar" aura. His stage presence is fucking great. Tommy is one guy among a 10 people line-up.

- technically I think they are as good, I really think Tommy is a great player, but you definitely hear more Duff in VR than you hear Tommy in the newGNR. Blame the 3 guitar players idea (Axl's idea, beceause I was told the rest of the bandmembers were NOT that exited to get a 3rd guy). This idea totally overshadows the Bass. You just can't hear it onstage.

I think Tommy is as good as Duff when he plays in a more simple Rock band. He was fantastic in The Replacements. He just doesn't have the role and the importance he deserves in Axl's band, because Axl doesn't want anyone in this new line-up to overshadow him. That's why there are so many people in the band: to avoid anyone to become a Star. Like that, Axl can control them. They are all equal: they are all in the shadow.

Edited by rockstar81

I saw both: Duff blows Tommy away. No discussuion possible. Plenty of reasons for that:

- In the newGNR, there are too many people onstage, so Tommy, the bass player, is in the shadow.

- Duff's bass sound is recognizable, it's a really specific bass sound whereas Tommy's bass sound is pretty neutral.

- Duff has a "Rockstar" aura. His stage presence is fucking great.

- technically I think they are as good, but you definitely hear more Duff in VR than you hear Tommy in the newGNR. Blame the 3 guitar players idea. This idea totally overshadows the Bass. You just can't hear it onstage.

I beg to differ, I have seen 'nuGNR' 3 times total and Tommys bass playing was heard, I heard it pretty clear. Tommy is technically a better bass player (whether that means he is overall a better bass player is your own opinion, and is up for debate). Duff while in GNR was a very sloppy player, he is a lot better in VR than he was in GNR.

I do agree though that Duffs bass sound is a lot more 'less neutral' than Tommys, and is more recognizable. Tommy is more crisp, again, whether that is a good or bad thing for GNR is up for debate.

- In the newGNR, there are too many people onstage, so Tommy, the bass player, is in the shadow.

- Duff's bass sound is recognizable, it's a really specific bass sound whereas Tommy's bass sound is pretty neutral.

- Duff has a "Rockstar" aura. His stage presence is fucking great.

- technically I think they are as good, but you definitely hear more Duff in VR than you hear Tommy in the newGNR. Blame the 3 guitar players idea. This idea totally overshadows the Bass. You just can't hear it onstage.

I beg to differ, I have seen 'nuGNR' 3 times total and Tommys bass playing was heard, I heard it pretty clear.

agreed, esp on the new songs, the bass is really distinctive.

In all fairness i don't know either, but from what i have seen of the both of them, Duff appears to be the better person. and why do i think this you're thinking? well, over the past week Tommy has been coming out with some stuff (over guitar throwing and are you with us or against us) that has made he appear like a cock.

Duff by a mile. There's something about Tommy I don't like. Maybe it's the hissyfit he threw at Donington as if he was the big star. Which he's not.

Duff's so much cooler, although perhaps not a better player

I've seen both live, and Duff has it by miles.

The only reason Tommy stands out at all is for the ridiculous Alice in Wonderland reject suits he wears. but other than that, the guy has zero stage presence.

Duff is 2 years older, but has more than double the energy and charisma on stage than Tommy ever will.

As far as people comparing him technically to Duff when he was in GnR, um, yeah, Tommy is 40 years old and has been playing bass for years and is now playing the same songs Duff first did when he was 25. Is it a huge surprise that he could be "technically" better with those songs than when Duff first played them? Hello... :rolleyes:

i dont get why people say" duff was cooler cos he was punk" then slate tommy for wearing tartan suits, when they're just as much as punk as duff's braces! tommy grew up in a punk band, those influences are clear to see on the stage.

No. Red checkered suits are NOT punk. At least not where I come from.

yes. they are. tartan was appropriated into punk culture in the 70's.

Lucy for us it's 2006, not the 1970's.

Maybe where you come from Cherry, but here in the US, his cartoonish garb was, is, and will, never be considered punk.