Tommy or Duff

dobadog

Just like Slash, Duff found himself in the right band at the right time. If Axl and Izzy hadn't come along, his sorry ass would be flipping burgers right now.

With that said, Duff sucks ass on the bass. Duff plays bass like a 'punk guitarist'. Anybody who plays bass like a guitar is just a wannabe who couldn't make it as a guitarist. AFD and UYI would have been a lot better if the bass parts were more, well, 'bassy'.

With Tommy, he's a god on the bass. He's not a wannabe. The guy can play just about any kind genre and style. Most importantly, he plays the bass like a bass and not like a guitar. The guy is truly versatile and talented. GnR was very fortunate to have landed him.

Tommy ain't spineless either like Duff. The guy stands up for he believes in. (Axl called Duff spineless)

One guy wears pyjamas on stage.

The other wrote It's So Easy and created the drum/bass intro to You Could Be Mine.

Admittedly, this is just comparing their contributions to GnR.

Yes, it takes a lot of talent to play a repeated note over and over ... again Duff plays like a punk guitarist ...

A good a comparison of abilities is to compare the bass from "The Blues" to say, "Estranged" or "November Rain" ... Tommy blows Duff out of the water any day of the week.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, ok, so why does Tommy play Duff's parts in the AFD songs pretty much exactly the way Duff did? Why doesn't he make them more "bassy", as you put it?

As for spineless, well, I'm just glad Duff had the balls to walk away from a GnR pay-check so he could keep creating music for people. I wonder if Tommy will do the same when the album again doesn't surface this year?

Ah, ok, so why does Tommy play Duff's parts in the AFD songs pretty much exactly the way Duff did? Why doesn't he make them more "bassy", as you put it?

As for spineless, well, I'm just glad Duff had the balls to walk away from a GnR pay-check so he could keep creating music for people. I wonder if Tommy will do the same when the album again doesn't surface this year?

Tommy has a 'thicker' bass sound. His sound adds more power to the old GnR songs. Listen to Tommy's bass from Rocket Queen. And I hardly doubt, he plays note-for-note what Duff played.

If you didn't know, Duff went back to school after his failed stint as a solo artist. He knew he needed a 'second career' because he was nothing without GnR. Luckily, GnR made him rich and he was able to live off the money for awhile, before Slash came calling and saved his ass from a life of accounting ledgers and business suits.

"Sebastian Bach was a savage animal. It was more like 45 & on parole, then 18 & life."

- Jesse 'Boots Electric' Hughes

That Jesse guy is a bigger loser than Bach.

Edited by Anti

Duff has way more stage presence, and as far as the "can only play punk bass"..that cause he loves punk not that he cant play anything else or better. Doesnt he play 4 instuments?

Edited by Voxy

Well, I have said in the past that Tommy is a better live player than Duff. His tone is thicker and more prominent in the mix. So, I'll agree with you there.

But he's still basically playing the same basslines Duff created.

So how does this equate to "Duff sucks ass on the bass" and "Tommy's a god on the bass"? It doesn't.

Duff has way more stage presence, and as far as the "can only play punk bass"..that cause he loves punk not that he cant play anything else or better. Doesnt he play 4 instuments?

Yeah, Duff played 4 instruments on his solo record ... LOL ... Then he decided to go back to school.

Punk rock was simpler then the kind of music Nirvana played. It doesn't take talent.

Punk rock was simpler then the kind of music Nirvana played. It doesn't take talent.

Takes no talent? The really good punk rock acts, like the really good bands from other genres often have alot of talent. Sure the punk scene is full of people that may not be gods on their instruments but so are most scenes just that the punk scene embraces it more cause the main thing is being there and playing and having fun.

Takes no talent? The really good punk rock acts, like the really good bands from other genres often have alot of talent. Sure the punk scene is full of people that may not be gods on their instruments but so are most scenes just that the punk scene embraces it more cause the main thing is being there and playing and having fun.

Duff without question. Punk was never truly about talent and more about attitude, personally I prefer a bit of attitude to note perfect playing. Nothing against Tommy but Duff does it for me.

Well, I have said in the past that Tommy is a better live player than Duff. His tone is thicker and more prominent in the mix. So, I'll agree with you there.

But he's still basically playing the same basslines Duff created.

So how does this equate to "Duff sucks ass on the bass" and "Tommy's a god on the bass"? It doesn't.

exactly how does it work. makes no sense

One guy wears pyjamas on stage.

The other wrote It's So Easy and created the drum/bass intro to You Could Be Mine.

Admittedly, this is just comparing their contributions to GnR.

We as of yet do not know what cool bass Tommy has stuck into 'Chinese Democracy', you might get better songs than 'It's So Easy' and 'You Could Be Mine'. Although being a Slash obsessive, you probably wouldn't expect so.

Right now for the style of music Axl is creating, Tommy is the right guy and despite what people say he has a lot of stage presence and a good connection with Axl. He entertains the crowd really well.

I saw both: Duff blows Tommy away. No discussuion possible. Plenty of reasons for that:

- In the newGNR, there are too many people onstage, so Tommy, the bass player, is in the shadow. You barely hear him because the 3 guitars + 2 keyboards overshadow his bass sound.

- Duff's bass sound is recognizable in a second, it's a really specific bass sound whereas Tommy's bass sound is pretty neutral.

- Duff has a "Rockstar" aura. His stage presence is fucking great. Tommy is one guy among a 10 people line-up.

- technically I think they are as good, I really think Tommy is a great player, but you definitely hear more Duff in VR than you hear Tommy in the newGNR. Blame the 3 guitar players idea (Axl's idea, beceause I was told the rest of the bandmembers were NOT that exited to get a 3rd guy). This idea totally overshadows the Bass. You just can't hear it onstage.

I think Tommy is as good as Duff when he plays in a more simple Rock band. He was fantastic in The Replacements. He just doesn't have the role and the importance he deserves in Axl's band, because Axl doesn't want anyone in this new line-up to overshadow him. That's why there are so many people in the band: to avoid anyone to become a Star. Like that, Axl can control them. They are all equal: they are all in the shadow.

I agree about the Bass sound. Duff definately has a much thicker type of hit than Tommy. I wish I had been able to hear Tommy's bass parts at the show in Baltimore, especially the YCBM intro, because from the videos i have seen, he plays the complex stuff a whole lot cleaner than duff, and seems to hit more right notes on stage (at least GNR era duff, im sure hes better now that hes cleaned up)

Who gives a flying fuck if Tommy is technically better (which is strictly opinion)

Bottom line is Duff is GNR...he wrote the music you people jack off too. He is part of the reason you are so obsessed with GNR music. Duff being sloppy and drunk and blah blah blah just made him all the more perfect. And to top things off, Duff and Axl had great chemistry on stage together.

Who gives a flying fuck if Tommy is technically better (which is strictly opinion)

Bottom line is Duff is GNR...he wrote the music you people jack off too. He is part of the reason you are so obsessed with GNR music. Duff being sloppy and drunk and blah blah blah just made him all the more perfect. And to top things off, Duff and Axl had great chemistry on stage together.

Right on, great post.

With that said, Duff sucks ass on the bass. Duff plays bass like a 'punk guitarist'. Anybody who plays bass like a guitar is just a wannabe who couldn't make it as a guitarist. AFD and UYI would have been a lot better if the bass parts were more, well, 'bassy'.

Yet Rocket Queen competes for the best bassline ever written. It blows away everything Tommy "checkered suit" Stinson ever wrote or can ever dream of writing.

I don't care about technique, I care about sounding good. And Duff sounds a whole lot better than Stinson. Plus, It's So Easy and Paradise City speak for themselves in terms of writing abilities.

Also, Duff is one of a kind on stage. His presence is just unbelievably great. The only way people notice Tommy Stinson on stage is because of his horrendous outfits.