Tommy or Duff

dobadog

Who gives a flying fuck if Tommy is technically better (which is strictly opinion)

Bottom line is Duff is GNR...he wrote the music you people jack off too. He is part of the reason you are so obsessed with GNR music. Duff being sloppy and drunk and blah blah blah just made him all the more perfect. And to top things off, Duff and Axl had great chemistry on stage together.

I disagree with that.

When watching bootlegs from the 90s and 80s from that matter Axl and Duff really dident connect that much on stage.

It was mostly Axl and Slash back then.

Axl and Tommy got really, really good chemistry.

I love the way Tommy is laughing when Axl sings wrong during Patience at rock am ring

Edited by Chris Axl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen both live, and Duff has it by miles.

The only reason Tommy stands out at all is for the ridiculous Alice in Wonderland reject suits he wears. but other than that, the guy has zero stage presence.

Duff is 2 years older, but has more than double the energy and charisma on stage than Tommy ever will.

As far as people comparing him technically to Duff when he was in GnR, um, yeah, Tommy is 40 years old and has been playing bass for years and is now playing the same songs Duff first did when he was 25. Is it a huge surprise that he could be "technically" better with those songs than when Duff first played them? Hello... :rolleyes:

Playing a song doesn´t mean u have to playing it note by note. I´ve have noticed BIG differences in his playing compared to Duff, And he have playes 5 songs duff never have played before. He plays pretty similar in songs like Sweet Child and other songs where the bass have a major part of a songs identity..

Edited by shootingstar

Tommy by far. He was phenomenal last night.

Who would you have chosen before seeing them last night?

Tommy. I've said this before.

I'm a fan of the Replacements. Tommy is a fantastic bassist that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of Duff's league.

In terms of stage presence, also Tommy. I've said this before last night too, judging just by bootlegs, but Tommy was a ball of energy onstage last night.

And he wasn't wearing a weird outfit yesterday. He looked quite the rockstar in leather, jeans, and a black t shirt.

Edited by adnan

I'm a fan of the Replacements. Tommy is a fantastic bassist that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of Duff's league.

In terms of stage presence, also Tommy. I've said this before last night too, judging just by bootlegs, but Tommy was a ball of energy onstage last night.

And he wasn't wearing a weird outfit yesterday. He looked quite the rockstar in leather, jeans, and a black t shirt.

rock3

so what if he wears tartan anyway, the man looks good what ever.

tommy is the best. ever.

Duff by a mile. There's something about Tommy I don't like. Maybe it's the hissyfit he threw at Donington as if he was the big star. Which he's not.

Being part of arguably one of the top five groups to emerge from the 80's doesn't make you a star at all, huh?

Duff by a mile. There's something about Tommy I don't like. Maybe it's the hissyfit he threw at Donington as if he was the big star. Which he's not.

Being part of arguably one of the top five groups to emerge from the 80's doesn't make you a star at all, huh?

Ignorance is bliss for many

No question about it, DUFF!

Now, when "Chinese Democracy" finally comes out and I get to hear what Stinson can do, then I can have something to compare it too. Until then.......DUFF!!

"Let it Be" is the greatest album of the 80's. It saddens me that people on this forum don't realize how significant and legendary the Replacements are. Paul Westerberg is one of the greatest songwriters ever.

I like Tommy. I was just wondering if you had changed your mind or if that was something you had already decided upon before going to the show.

Of all current members aside from Axl, Tommy is probably my favorite.

I prefer Tommy to Axl.

I don't think it's fair to compare a rock frontman to a bassist, though.

Kind of like saying you like Martin Scorsese better than Robert De Niro - hard to compare people of different areas of profession.

So I can't say that I prefer Joe Perry to Steven Tyler? Or Nikki Sixx to Vince Neil? (Even though I'm not exactly enamoured with Motley Crue)

I prefer Tommy to Axl.

Kind of like saying you like Martin Scorsese better than Robert De Niro - hard to compare people of different areas of profession.

So I can't say that I prefer Joe Perry to Steven Tyler? Or Nikki Sixx to Vince Neil? (Even though I'm not exactly enamoured with Motley Crue)

I'm just speaking for myself.

I personally would compare Tyler to Rose and Perry to Slash, not Perry to Rose and Tyler to Slash or vice versa.

I prefer Tommy to Axl.

I'm just speaking for myself.

I personally would compare Tyler to Rose and Perry to Slash, not Perry to Rose and Tyler to Slash or vice versa.

Speaking of IN THE BAND. I guess I see where you're coming from though.

We as of yet do not know what cool bass Tommy has stuck into 'Chinese Democracy'

Sadly, we probably never will.

Nothing really hit home in the leaks, to be honest.

Look, he's been rocking since he was a kid with the Replacements and he can obviously play. But we're on a GnR board and comparing him to another GnR bassist - and to suggest he's anywhere near the impact on GnR as Duff McKagan is completely absurd.

I prefer Tommy. I just love the little things he does that add to his stage prescence, all the goofy stuff. Plus, I never really cared for Duff as a person. He was totally fucking his life up with all the drinking and stuff and he didnt have the brains to realize it until he had the pancreas problem.

I prefer Tommy. I just love the little things he does that add to his stage prescence, all the goofy stuff. Plus, I never really cared for Duff as a person. He was totally fucking his life up with all the drinking and stuff and he didnt have the brains to realize it until he had the pancreas problem.

Duff is/was an incredibly unintelligent person, which explains a lot of that. Didn't he drop out of high school? I love him, but he's pretty dumb. You can tell that from most interviews he gave.

I prefer Tommy to Axl.

Joe Perry is NOT a bassist.

I prefer Tommy to Axl.

Joe Perry is NOT a bassist.

You don't need to tell someone as big of an Aerosmith fan that! :rolleyes:

I was talking in the sense of the two best members of the band. Nikki and Vince with Motley, and Joe & Steve in Aerosmith.