Axl pissing off potential "Chinese Democracy" buyers

Randy Lahey

I don't blame the record company for not putting out "Chinese Democracy" at this time. It's been such an amazing promotional tour for cd so far, with the cancelled shows, and the late start times. People are getting drunk and going to these shows and passing out by the time GnR takes the stage. Other people are leaving the shows because they have to get up and go to work. Axl doesn't ever mention the album nor does he introduce the new songs he plays. The shows are fine for us forum people who know the bands ridiculous schedule, but they're not fine for the majority of people going, who would be potential purchasers of the record. The record company is going to have to come up with an ace marketing plan to promote this album because Axl's just promoting the fact that he's the number one asshole in rock. Axl most likely handed the record over to Universal too late for them to come up with a good marketing scheme. Axl seems to think they should just release the album and then he'll sell it by continuing his tour of self indulgence. If you were the record company would you trust Axl to sell the album by touring? Axl has such a stellar track record of no shows, late shows, and cancelled shows. I'm guessing that the record company is going to use Slash and Duff to sell the album. They'll wait to release the record around the same as Velvet Revolver's album. That way they can bank on the media starting a war between the two bands, who knows, that might even motivate Axl to stop being such a jackass.

Edited by Randy Lahey

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The album being delayed is one mans fault- Axl. Its not going to be released until he is well and ready to release it.

As much as I hate Merck... and I do. Its not his fault. He is just a puppet who says whatever Axl tells him to say.

Universal has no say in it, unless they decide to drop GnR... which despite already being a "rumor"... I could actually see this happening by next year.

People who went to the show in Calgary last night said people were leaving.

dude the fans should know by know that gnr is always late and some of them got work in the morning or there tired of waiting and want go home go to bed

Axl would be better off promoting a line of energy drinks so people can stay awake long enough to watch him perform. Maybe Merck should start a line of "King Dick" energy drinks to sell at the shows. Buy a shirt at the show and you get a free "King Dick" energy drink.

Edited by Randy Lahey

People who went to the show in Calgary last night said people were leaving.

Ever been to Calgary? I have. Calgary Transit isn't all that great. People, especially those driving in, have to get home. But the late start time is no secret, the Sun (Calgary paper) even did an article on GNR in advance that mentioned the late start time.

I'm tired of hearing comments from people not at the show, and who are on the other side of the fucking map, whining. You weren't there? Great, so I value your opinion why?

So yes, people driving in from a distance take off early. In Toronto, where 18,500 showed up, a few thousand easily left at 1:15. I saw all kinds of comments like yours from people who've never been to the fucking city stating "omg people left early wah!" - guess when the subway stops running here? 1:30.

Check your facts next time. The word of mouth and published reviews of this tour have been outstanding. Go back to 2002 and compare.

Not everyone who goes to a GnR show is a die hard forum fan. Not everyone will know he's coming on two hours late. Many people who go have real jobs and can't possibly function on two hours of sleep because Axl can't stick to a schedule for shit. I wouldn't go to a weekday concert because I seriously can not get home at 4:00 get up at 5:30 and be worth my salary and Axl is not deserving of me taking a vacation day just because he is lazy. It's totally disrespectful and it amazes me he still has a fan base.

The shows are getting later and later, and fans buying tickets for the "Chinese Democracy" tour are realizing how much of a farce this is.

It's called a threshold. People have hit it. It is all Axl's fault.

And please, can we stop the desperate "Axl delivered the record and Universal is holding it up" pipedreams? Seriously, give me a fucking break. You might as well say "Axl gave the record to Hillary Clinton, who is holding its release until 2008 to help gain the youth vote for her presidential bid."

They both have the same chance of being true -- NONE.

The band coming on at midnight is definitely an issue this time around....no question about it.

It's all I hear about from people who were at the Toronto gig.

Midnight for fuck sake...it's pissing a LOT of people off!

The shows are getting later and later, and fans buying tickets for the "Chinese Democracy" tour are realizing how much of a farce this is.

It's called a threshold. People have hit it. It is all Axl's fault.

And please, can we stop the desperate "Axl delivered the record and Universal is holding it up" pipedreams? Seriously, give me a fucking break. You might as well say "Axl gave the record to Hillary Clinton, who is holding its release until 2008 to help gain the youth vote for her presidential bid."

They both have the same chance of being true -- NONE.

And that's why the band sold out a show last night? :rofl-lol:

Next brain-dead comment please.

It would be pretty cool if Democracy and Velvet Revolver's album were released the same day, but I don't see this happening. I'd buy both, but I think Democracy would outsell it by 3 to 1. This wouldn't be a bad marketing plan. It would generate much hype, but probably only weaken the relationship further between Axl and the former gunners.

I don't blame the record company for not putting out "Chinese Democracy" at this time. It's been such an amazing promotional tour for cd so far, with the cancelled shows, and the late start times. People are getting drunk and going to these shows and passing out by the time GnR takes the stage. Other people are leaving the shows because they have to get up and go to work. Axl doesn't ever mention the album nor does he introduce the new songs he plays. The shows are fine for us forum people who know the bands ridiculous schedule, but they're not fine for the majority of people going, who would be potential purchasers of the record. The record company is going to have to come up with an ace marketing plan to promote this album because Axl's just promoting the fact that he's the number one asshole in rock. Axl most likely handed the record over to Universal too late for them to come up with a good marketing scheme. Axl seems to think they should just release the album and then he'll sell it by continuing his tour of self indulgence. If you were the record company would you trust Axl to sell the album by touring? Axl has such a stellar track record of no shows, late shows, and cancelled shows. I'm guessing that the record company is going to use Slash and Duff to sell the album. They'll wait to release the record around the same as Velvet Revolver's album. That way they can bank on the media starting a war between the two bands, who knows, that might even motivate Axl to stop being such a jackass.

Thanks for summing up all of the bitching by all of the know-it-alls from every thread from the past two months.

FYI- Nobody left the shows I was at.

Grow up... you big baby.

People will go to any lengths to justify Axl's behavior. Tommy should have said that "People need to get in front of the band or they can fuck off". It's obvious that GnR want their fans in front of them taking it up the ass and not behind them pushing them on to releasing an album.

Edited by Randy Lahey

The band coming on at midnight is definitely an issue this time around....no question about it.

It's all I hear about from people who were at the Toronto gig.

Midnight for fuck sake...it's pissing a LOT of people off!

I was at the Toronto show, they were onstage before midnight. Around 11:40.

In addition, there was only about a 30-40 minute wait while they setup the stage between Bach and Axl. So the wait in Toronto was not bad at all. 30-40 mins is average for a set change. And considering there are three opening acts, it's pretty good value.

Not everyone who goes to a GnR show is a die hard forum fan. Not everyone will know he's coming on two hours late. Many people who go have real jobs and can't possibly function on two hours of sleep because Axl can't stick to a schedule for shit. I wouldn't go to a weekday concert because I seriously can not get home at 4:00 get up at 5:30 and be worth my salary and Axl is not deserving of me taking a vacation day just because he is lazy. It's totally disrespectful and it amazes me he still has a fan base.

and it looks like you're still in it

The Apollo was fucking boiling hot and we had been in a line for fucking hours in the boiling sun.It was hot sticky and dark......

But no fucker was leaving.Once im in i dont give a fuck if i wait all night, the intro kicks in and its worth it.Shame but it appears europeans got a lot more from the summer tour, maybe we let ourselves have fun and a great time instead of moaning ;)

Glasgow wasn't much better.

Heres a tip for all the people pissed at waiting, grab a beer and chat to other fans, time flies that way, plus you meet great fucking people

Edited by GET OFF AXLS BACK

Pretty much, yeah.

I can't remember this happening at all during the European tour by the way. Only in the US.

Wasn't there a mass exodus of people at Donnington?

Not so much but the Prodigy were playing in a tent and download fans were cunts in my opinion.The place has a wierd kind of vibe, almost like its not about music.

I saw huge crowds for GnR, the tech/attitude problems didn't help though :rolleyes: