Axl pissing off potential "Chinese Democracy" buyers

Randy Lahey

The shows are getting later and later, and fans buying tickets for the "Chinese Democracy" tour are realizing how much of a farce this is.

It's called a threshold. People have hit it. It is all Axl's fault.

And please, can we stop the desperate "Axl delivered the record and Universal is holding it up" pipedreams? Seriously, give me a fucking break. You might as well say "Axl gave the record to Hillary Clinton, who is holding its release until 2008 to help gain the youth vote for her presidential bid."

They both have the same chance of being true -- NONE.

And that's why the band sold out a show last night? :rofl-lol:

Next brain-dead comment please.

Oh, good one funny guy!

No, they sold the show out because Calgary is a big city and people bought the tickets months ago when they thought that "Chinese Democracy started now" and that the record was forthcoming, and a comeback was afoot -- i.e., before Axl started making it clear he was fucking everybody over.

What I mentioned about is the reason why NONE of the shows that aren't in MAJOR CITIES (i.e., New York, L.A., Calgary, etc.) have sold out. Do you understand me, brain dead? NONE. And I don't mean they're just shy of selling out -- sometimes these venues are barely over HALF FULL.

Why do you think that is? The polarity of Axl's magnetic presence is reversed so he's repelling fans instead of attracting them?

Keep your snarky b.s. to yourself unless you can comment intelligently -- and I'll go ahead and do the heavy lifting for you and just advise you to keep your snarky b.s. to yourself.

This tour is NOT A SUCCESS.

ACCEPT IT.

And for all the apologists, going on at midnight is a FUCKING JOKE. "Oh, 30 minutes isn't a long wait, blahblahblah." Well, shit, if Axl added four more opening bands and came on at 4am all of you would be talking about "what a great value this show is with all these opening bands!"

All the extra bands were because people were bitching about the delay. Midnight is too late for a show. People are leaving. The band has become a joke... AGAIN. And the only person who could've avoided it, instead decided to lie to his fans, and take our money, and leave asking the same "what happened" questions as all the times before.

ACCEPT IT.

Edited by GabrielsChains

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me, at the Manchester show, Axl came on I think it was about an hour or so after the time set, but I didn't think anything of it, I expected it.

I saw this guy next to me texting on his mobile, (I dont normally look at what people text btw) and he was saying something like "that stupid ginger twat's late again - im fuckin sick of this"

I couldn't decide whether i wanted to hit him or laugh at him - what did he expect?

All of you "what did you expect" people are not thinking big picture.

You know what MOST PEOPLE "expect"? Not this.

And spare how "rock n roll" this all is. Its fucking stupid and short sighted. He is not winning any people over with this. He's only hurting himself. That is undeniable.

And spare how "rock n roll" this all is. Its fucking stupid and short sighted. He is not winning any people over with this. He's only hurting himself. That is undeniable.

Furthermore, a 45 year old man singing his old band's songs with a bunch of payroll musicians (however great they may be) is NOT "rock n' roll" either. It is business -- nothing more, and nothing less.

The band coming on at midnight is definitely an issue this time around....no question about it.

It's all I hear about from people who were at the Toronto gig.

Midnight for fuck sake...it's pissing a LOT of people off!

I was at the Toronto show, they were onstage before midnight. Around 11:40.

In addition, there was only about a 30-40 minute wait while they setup the stage between Bach and Axl. So the wait in Toronto was not bad at all. 30-40 mins is average for a set change. And considering there are three opening acts, it's pretty good value.

Yes they came on at 11:40...20 minutes to midnight.

The reviews I have been reading from shows after Toronto has the time edging ever closer to midnight.

A 30-40 minute wait isn't long to wait for Guns' stage to be set up after the opening acts,I agree.It's the fact that the set up is taking place when MOST concerts are ending!

Value??...an opening band that no one has ever heard of or cared about.

A cheesey jiggle show that most people didn't give a rat's ass about.

People are there to see Guns n Roses,one opening act is sufficient and Bach has been doing a damn fine job of it.

People keep saying "it's GnR it's expected"...I saw Guns 5 times in 3 countries between 91-93 and they NEVER came on at midnight.

Yeah "it's Guns and it's their rules"...blah blah blah...all I know is when I look at these midnight starts on the grand scheme of things....it's hurting the cause and damaging the momentum.

Axl doesn't ever mention the album nor does he introduce the new songs he plays.

This is REALLY a good clue as to CD not being released...I don't think it ever will be otherwise why would anyone do that, nevermind playing the same 4 songs from '02 and in '06 and not a peep about 'Chinese Democracy' ever in the last 4 years and two tours??!

Edited by GeorgeGlass

My brother saw the Chicago show. I told him ahead of time that it would be a long night. He's a casual fan of Gnr, he liked the show but wasn't impressed beyond belief. He's one of the potential fans that Axl will need in the future if he wants GnR to become huge again. Unfortunatley, I don't think Axl won him over.

My brother saw the Chicago show. I told him ahead of time that it would be a long night. He's a casual fan of Gnr, he liked the show but wasn't impressed beyond belief. He's one of the potential fans that Axl will need in the future if he wants GnR to become huge again. Unfortunatley, I don't think Axl won him over.

Finally somebody who understands what I was getting at. I'm going to the show on Sunday with some potential fans. They are not going to be to pleased when I tell them that they shouldn't drink before the show, because Axl goes on so late, that they'll be tired and worn out before the gig starts. GnR should encourage fans not to drink before the shows. I know that's not very Rock N Roll, but going on so late that your own fans are passing out isn't very rock n roll either.

GnR should encourage fans not to drink before the shows. I know that's not very Rock N Roll, but going on so late that your own fans are passing out isn't very rock n roll either.

Tickets are already paid for at that point, I don't think it really matters to him one way or another.

Us normal people can't put our lives on hold like a certain reclusive frontman. We can't put our tomorrow on hold for today's procrastination from Axl.

Either be on stage when the tickets say or change the times on the tickets. Going on late isn't "rock n roll", it is plain inconsiderate and a slap in the face of us with "real lives in the real world".

Want to go on late? Do that shit in hollywood where it's all bullshit.

Edited by bin laden killed gnr

In addition, there was only about a 30-40 minute wait while they setup the stage between Bach and Axl. So the wait in Toronto was not bad at all. 30-40 mins is average for a set change. And considering there are three opening acts, it's pretty good value.

They should have just ONE opening band. It is always problems and things that need to be fixed between the acts. That would probably solve this issue. 30-40 min is not much. Thats pretty normal and compared to other liveshows I´ve been to I consider it as early. Few artists are able to get in time, and if u have several in a row a delay is a fact. I would call this bad planning. The sound and stage crew must have time to do their job between that acts. Axl must know when he are gonne prepare and warm up his voice. He can´t do it to early, and not to late(fact). The instruments must be checked just before they opening. If the temperature change a few degrees it can put them out of tune etc,etc.

They are ALL PROFFESSIONALS and should put those cind of things in consideration and not presuppose that people in the audience knows this shit.

The shows are getting later and later, and fans buying tickets for the "Chinese Democracy" tour are realizing how much of a farce this is.

It's called a threshold. People have hit it. It is all Axl's fault.

And please, can we stop the desperate "Axl delivered the record and Universal is holding it up" pipedreams? Seriously, give me a fucking break. You might as well say "Axl gave the record to Hillary Clinton, who is holding its release until 2008 to help gain the youth vote for her presidential bid."

They both have the same chance of being true -- NONE.

And that's why the band sold out a show last night? :rofl-lol:

Next brain-dead comment please.

Oh, good one funny guy!

No, they sold the show out because Calgary is a big city and people bought the tickets months ago when they thought that "Chinese Democracy started now" and that the record was forthcoming, and a comeback was afoot -- i.e., before Axl started making it clear he was fucking everybody over.

What I mentioned about is the reason why NONE of the shows that aren't in MAJOR CITIES (i.e., New York, L.A., Calgary, etc.) have sold out. Do you understand me, brain dead? NONE. And I don't mean they're just shy of selling out -- sometimes these venues are barely over HALF FULL.

Why do you think that is? The polarity of Axl's magnetic presence is reversed so he's repelling fans instead of attracting them?

Keep your snarky b.s. to yourself unless you can comment intelligently -- and I'll go ahead and do the heavy lifting for you and just advise you to keep your snarky b.s. to yourself.

This tour is NOT A SUCCESS.

ACCEPT IT.

And for all the apologists, going on at midnight is a FUCKING JOKE. "Oh, 30 minutes isn't a long wait, blahblahblah." Well, shit, if Axl added four more opening bands and came on at 4am all of you would be talking about "what a great value this show is with all these opening bands!"

All the extra bands were because people were bitching about the delay. Midnight is too late for a show. People are leaving. The band has become a joke... AGAIN. And the only person who could've avoided it, instead decided to lie to his fans, and take our money, and leave asking the same "what happened" questions as all the times before.

ACCEPT IT.

Another know-it-all :rolleyes:

FYI... GNR is doing better then Aerosmith and Motley Crue... combined on selling tickets.

Not too shabby.

Sitting through 2-3 warm up acts and then waiting for Axl to show at 12am is not cool. Especially during the weekdays. I almost wonder if he's not going on later and later just because it's now considered to be part of his act and he loves sticking it to those that complain.

Just once I'd like to see him go on unexpectedly early at like 9pm. Then his apologists who say he can go on anytime because this is Axl and GNR would miss most of the show getting there late. Would be hilarious... ;)

If the temperature change a few degrees it can put them out of tune etc,etc.

:blink:

Iv'e never had a guitar go out of tune when the temperature changes. Where the fuck did you get this idea?

Do a test and I promiss u that it will. Don´t know where u live but if it much colder outside, take the guitar and go outside.. The shit will be fucked up so u´ll notice it by ear. I´ve played outside some nights. Once we were backstage just about to hit the stage which techically was a heated room, and when we hitted the stage, which was outside, the instruments went totally out of tune! It was about 5 degrees C colder outside, so it was probably an extreme case. but still.. Tuff times for a singer :P

EDIT* Acustic guitars tend to be more senitive. Don´t know if it has something to do with that the wood isn´t as solid as on elecric guitars.. I don´t know man. But a guitarist from another band told us that night that it´s important to put the instruments in tune in the same temp u are about to play in.. Wierd, I know

Edited by shootingstar

If the temperature change a few degrees it can put them out of tune etc,etc.

:blink:

Iv'e never had a guitar go out of tune when the temperature changes. Where the fuck did you get this idea?

Do a test and I promiss u that it will. Don´t know where u live but if it much colder outside, take the guitar and go outside.. The shit will be fucked up so u´ll notice it by ear. I´ve played outside some nights. Once we were backstage just about to hit the stage which techically was a heated room, and when we hitted the stage, which was outside, the instruments went totally out of tune! It was about 5 degrees C colder outside, so it was probably an extreme case. but still.. Tuff times for a singer :P

Maybe for a singer but not for a guitar. Sounds like if your guitars were going out of tune, it is because noone properly stretched the strings. Gotta tune em, bend em, tune em, bend em, tune em, bend em. A few times til it holds.

Either that or playing with those shitty wal-mart brand guitars isn't a good idea. :tongue2:

He's not pissing off potential buyers.

"Potential buyers" are not the fans who have been waiting years for the album. It's the fans he's pissing off. Potential buyers don't give a rat's ass because they aren't sitting around waiting for this thing to drop. If it comes out a year from now they would still potentially buy it.

The band coming on at midnight is definitely an issue this time around....no question about it.

It's all I hear about from people who were at the Toronto gig.

Midnight for fuck sake...it's pissing a LOT of people off!

Yes they came on at 11:40...20 minutes to midnight.

The reviews I have been reading from shows after Toronto has the time edging ever closer to midnight.

A 30-40 minute wait isn't long to wait for Guns' stage to be set up after the opening acts,I agree.It's the fact that the set up is taking place when MOST concerts are ending!

Value??...an opening band that no one has ever heard of or cared about.

A cheesey jiggle show that most people didn't give a rat's ass about.

People are there to see Guns n Roses,one opening act is sufficient and Bach has been doing a damn fine job of it.

People keep saying "it's GnR it's expected"...I saw Guns 5 times in 3 countries between 91-93 and they NEVER came on at midnight.

Yeah "it's Guns and it's their rules"...blah blah blah...all I know is when I look at these midnight starts on the grand scheme of things....it's hurting the cause and damaging the momentum.

Die Mannequin actually played the next big thing stage at Edgefest and have picked up a major label (EMI I think), I'm actually sorry I missed them. I thought it was extrememly cool that GNR picked them up for the Canadian dates in the East.

Suicide Girls were fine for what they were.

And Bach appeals to the older GNR fans. But frankly, I preferred the Suicide Girls over Bach. I find Bach to have one volume, screaming loud. He gets boring after a few songs.

I guess you missed Mix Master Mike in 2002? That was the worst set I've ever sat through.

Finally somebody who understands what I was getting at. I'm going to the show on Sunday with some potential fans. They are not going to be to pleased when I tell them that they shouldn't drink before the show, because Axl goes on so late, that they'll be tired and worn out before the gig starts. GnR should encourage fans not to drink before the shows. I know that's not very Rock N Roll, but going on so late that your own fans are passing out isn't very rock n roll either.

Fans aren't going in blind, if they choose to get hammered at a show that's their problem. I drank before the show in Ottawa, started at the hotel, continued at the venue, I didn't hit it too hard, no more than 8 or 10 beers total. So I felt just fine. If you're passing out at a show you either can't hold your booze, or you're too old for this shit and should go check out Barbara Streisand instead.

Maybe for a singer but not for a guitar. Sounds like if your guitars were going out of tune, it is because noone properly stretched the strings. Gotta tune em, bend em, tune em, bend em, tune em, bend em. A few times til it holds.

Either that or playing with those shitty wal-mart brand guitars isn't a good idea. :tongue2:

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know. I even know that and I´m not the guitarist ;) And we´re not playing on wal-mart stuff. It´s 500-1000$ guitars man. Not the best, but not wal-mart stuff either :) Stting right now and holding my Washburn Acoustic!

Back on topic.

GnR crew should drop one opening band to make it closer reality to hit the stage in time!

Another know-it-all :rolleyes:

FYI... GNR is doing better then Aerosmith and Motley Crue... combined on selling tickets.

Not too shabby.

I'm not a know-it-all, Matt, just a Knows-More-Than-You.

That's pretty neato keen info about them doing better than Aerosmith or Motley Crue. I bet they're doing better than Warrant and Winger, too. They're also playing venues that they're not selling out and fans are growing disgruntled.

What's your point?

Furthermore, a 45 year old man singing his old band's songs with a bunch of payroll musicians (however great they may be) is NOT "rock n' roll" either. It is business -- nothing more, and nothing less.

FUCKING RIGHT. Thank you, that's the most accurate thing I've read on this forum, ever ever ever.