Piano Solo -Angie (Stones)

Blues

Rocket Queen

Guitar Solo -killer shreading & O Canada

Out To Get me

November Rain -finale morphed into climax of Estranged

Down On The Farm

I.R.S.

Guitar Solo -Don't Cry (played electric no vocals & other instruments)

My Michelle -with Seb Bach

Liquor & Whores -with Bubbles (Trailer Park Boys)

Used To Love Her

Patience

Night Train

Madagascar

Chinese Democracy

Paradise City

FINI-Bow out

Completely different experience from seeing GNR in past saw 88 show with them opening for Maiden & the UYI show. Nonetheless, it was spectacular! What a show! Got up to about where 2-3 rd row would be normally on the floor. The new GNR band is somethin else! KILLER! This without a doubt is the best show i've seen in years. Unforgettable! Axl was on, the man is back! He appeared to really be enjoying the show himself.

The show here at Rexall looked like a sold out crowd to me. Usually that means about 13,000 in this configuration unless behind the stage was sold i didn't see couldn't left where i was at. If behind was sold about 15,000 just a guess.

Edited by casfan

so, theres a ton more details because the backstage process that i ended up going thru was FAR from stellar...in fact the management all the way up to Del James were TOTAL pricks...not even remotely friendly...the staff at the venue however WERE VERY accomodating up to where they could be at least. im sure the GnR management is VERY restrictive and is partially responsible for making Axl the way he is, esp after what i experienced last night. LOTS of those details to come in the next few days as i organize the 1000000 things that are going on in my mind right now....im still just using some hack internet cafe thingy at west ed mall right now...so i havent even had time to THINK about all that happened last night...anyway...yeah...Ron is totally kewl...if you get the chance to talk to him..do it. hes definately the kewlest member, as well as Frank, that i got to meet. the rest, well, they are high on themselves and what we made them, so dont expect a warm welcome at all, EVER. cause it just simply wont happen.

but more on that to come in the next few days so keep this post alive! :D

Thanks for the post !! Glad to hear you had as good a time as I did, though down here in the good ol USA. I could deffinetly tell a difference between the 2 shows I saw. It wasnt a huge difference, but you can see 2 different Axls.

Anyway, you know we would love to hear some additional backstage info. Also, how about some tips on how to get there? We know you dont wanna share you secrets to success and dont want the whole arena tryn to get backstage, but then again, we normally only get a handfull of people from this forum at each show so I dont think you will be telling the world :)

ron is way too good of a guy not to say, he is saying ask management because he has no idea, management wont tell him anything. hes not "in" on the project. there is no chinese democracy, its the biggest joke in music since milli vanilli. the name is chinese democracy, it's a pun, its never going to happen.

i saw gnr on monday and it was the fucking best show ever. i was at front and centre screaming to every fucking word (even the new songs). i loved it, but we all have to come to terms with that we are getting jerked around so hard here, the only people who know anything are axl/management. and it's never coming out, they are just stringing us along so we can go to the concerts.

do you really think baz's new album and motley crue's new albums are ever going to come out, the ones that they have been talking about at the concerts. its all just for the money to grab tickets.

it's totally upsetting that we will never be able to hear proper studio versions of songs like IRS, TWAT, Madagascar, The Blues, Chinese Democracy and Catcher in the Rye, but we need to face it, they are holding the bait on a fishing line and pulling it away whenever we get close, its way too obvious. the sad thing is nobody want's to give up hope because the reward is too great.

its a damn shame really.

Edited by mremis

GNR Rexall Place Dec.7th/2006 - SOLD OUT

Supporting: (in order of apperance)

Suicide Girls, Helmet & Sebastian Bach

Arena Seating Capacity:

Approximately 13 000 for Concerts

Approximately 17 000 for Hockey Games

http://www.rexall-place.com/info.html

PREVIOUS PERFORMANCES BY GNR at THIS ARENA:

May.25th, 1988 supporting IRON MAIDEN (Seventh Son of Seventh Son Tour) Attendance: 2,500 (bad tour for Maiden)

March.28th, 1993 USE YOUR IILUSIONS TOUR with The Brian May Band supporting Attendance: SOLD OUT est 13,500

Note: Rexall Place sold out crowd with stage at back of arena is 13,000/ full arena (NHL Hockey):17,000 as of fall 1994 when called Skyreach Centre after re-modelling/modernization of the arena.

Original seating in 1974-94 when called Northlands Coliseum: 13-17,000 would be sold out (dependent on # tic available for show)/ full arena (NHL Hockey): 18,500.

SETLIST:

Welcome to the Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone -stopped briefly 'cause Axl wanted fans on floor to step back fans getting crushed

Live & Let Die

Better

Guitar Solo -Bluetopia

Sweet Child of Mine

Knockin' On Heavens Door

You Could Be Mine

Piano Solo -Angie (Stones)

Blues

Rocket Queen

Guitar Solo - OCanada & killer shreading

Out To Get Me

November Rain -finale morphed into climax of Estranged

Down On The Farm

I.R.S.

Guitar Solo -Don't Cry (played electric no vocals & other instruments)

My Michelle -with Seb Bach

Liquor & Whores -with Bubbles (Trailer Park Boys)

Used To Love Her

Patience

Night Train

***Encores***

Madagascar

Chinese Democracy

Paradise City

FINI-Bow out

My 2 cents:

Completely different experience from seeing GNR in past. I saw them opening for Maiden & the UYI show. Nonetheless, it was spectacular! What a show! Got up to about where 2-3 rd row would be normally on the floor. The new GNR band is somethin else! KILLER! This without a doubt is the best show I've seen in years. Unforgettable! Axl was on, the man is back! Axl appeared to really be enjoying the show himself. I don't where exactly this following reviewer was sitting, it sure wasn't where I was. The sound for me was near perfect. Near the end, temporary trouble with the mix as opposed to Axl having problems singing. Axl blew Baz back to his mother's womb as far as I'm concerned. Out the near 70 shows I've seen at this arena this one is in my Top 10 favorites.

Below Review from:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news.../sperounes.html

There’s a likely reason why Axl Rose and the rest of Guns N’ Roses didn’t get on stage until 11:52 p.m. on Thursday night.

Perhaps the mercurial metal frontman wanted his 13,000-plus fans to be so drunk and tired, they didn’t notice — or care — how terrible the sound in Rexall Place was.

You could barely hear Rose’s trademark screech during the first few songs — including opener Welcome To The Jungle and It’s So Easy.

The audio mix was hit ‘n’ miss for the rest of G N’ R’s two-and-a-half-hour set.

At times, he was almost completely audible, particularly during the reggae-lite version of Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, the bluesy ballad Patience, and a tour-de-force rendition of November Rain, capped off by a waterfall of sparks drenching Rose’s piano.

Yet for Sweet Child O’ Mine, You Could Be Mine and Nightrain, he sounded like he was singing through an underpowered megaphone — raising questions about the competency of his sound guy and the state of Rose’s voice. Could it be his pipes aren’t as powerful as they used to be?

Part of the problem, of course, is the range of his screams.

He sounds like a wailing guitar — but he couldn’t compete with his three guitarists, Robin Finck, Richard Fortus and Ron Thal, one of whom came out sporting a long jacket and black hat.

He didn’t look exactly like Rose’s former bandmate, Slash, but it was enough to encourage fans to make comparisons between the latest and classic versions of G N’ R.

The verdict?

Well, if you’re a fan of the Replacements, one of the most underappreciated groups of the ‘80s, you got a kick out of seeing skinny bassist Tommy Stinson playing G N’ R’s Rocket Queen and Out Ta Get Me.

Otherwise, Rose’s new batch of guitarists were more than serviceable — each getting a turn to play a blistering solo, including a ragged version of O Canada.

They’re obviously killer musicians, but three axe solos slowed down the momentum of the show, which wasn’t the best idea so late at night.

Neither was playing a few unknown and mediocre numbers from G N’ R’s long-delayed album, Chinese Democracy.

At least a few dozen people left Rexall halfway into the group’s set.

Thankfully, keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who joined G N’ R in 1990, picked up the pace again by playing a rambunctious, bluesy cover of Angie on piano while Rose was backstage, changing his shirt for the umpteenth time.

Then again, he was pretty hyperactive — constantly running across the stage, jumping, throwing his microphone stand or doing his trademark side-to-side sashay. He even attempted a jig when Bubbles of Trailer Park Boys came out to perform his cult hit, Liquor and Whores.

Opener Sebastian Bach, who joined Rose for a duet of My Michelle, didn’t seem to have the same vocal woes as his tourmate.

Not only does he have stronger pipes — holding notes for longer and higher — the overall volume of Bach’s bandmates seemed to be much lower.

Ergo, you could clearly hear the Peterborough native during his 70-minute set, which featured old Skid Row numbers — 18 and Life, I Remember You, Piece of Me, Monkey Business, Youth Gone Wild — and a few from his upcoming album.

If only Bach had Rose’s songs ... or Rose had Bach’s voice, then we would’ve truly been in Paradise City.

COMMENTS

Posted by Sandra Sperounes on December 8, 2006 1:28 PM MDT

Edited by casfan

GNR Rexall Place Dec.7th - SOLD OUT

Seating Capacity:

Approximately 13 000 for Concerts

Approximately 17 000 for Hockey Games

http://www.rexall-place.com/info.html

Review From:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news.../sperounes.html

There’s a likely reason why Axl Rose and the rest of Guns N’ Roses didn’t get on stage until 11:52 p.m. on Thursday night.

Perhaps the mercurial metal frontman wanted his 13,000-plus fans to be so drunk and tired, they didn’t notice — or care — how terrible the sound in Rexall Place was.

You could barely hear Rose’s trademark screech during the first few songs — including opener Welcome To The Jungle and It’s So Easy.

The audio mix was hit ‘n’ miss for the rest of G N’ R’s two-and-a-half-hour set.

At times, he was almost completely audible, particularly during the reggae-lite version of Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, the bluesy ballad Patience, and a tour-de-force rendition of November Rain, capped off by a waterfall of sparks drenching Rose’s piano.

Yet for Sweet Child O’ Mine, You Could Be Mine and Nightrain, he sounded like he was singing through an underpowered megaphone — raising questions about the competency of his sound guy and the state of Rose’s voice. Could it be his pipes aren’t as powerful as they used to be?

Part of the problem, of course, is the range of his screams.

He sounds like a wailing guitar — but he couldn’t compete with his three guitarists, Robin Finck, Richard Fortus and Ron Thal, one of whom came out sporting a long jacket and black hat.

He didn’t look exactly like Rose’s former bandmate, Slash, but it was enough to encourage fans to make comparisons between the latest and classic versions of G N’ R.

The verdict?

Well, if you’re a fan of the Replacements, one of the most underappreciated groups of the ‘80s, you got a kick out of seeing skinny bassist Tommy Stinson playing G N’ R’s Rocket Queen and Out Ta Get Me.

Otherwise, Rose’s new batch of guitarists were more than serviceable — each getting a turn to play a blistering solo, including a ragged version of O Canada.

They’re obviously killer musicians, but three axe solos slowed down the momentum of the show, which wasn’t the best idea so late at night.

Neither was playing a few unknown and mediocre numbers from G N’ R’s long-delayed album, Chinese Democracy.

At least a few dozen people left Rexall halfway into the group’s set.

Thankfully, keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who joined G N’ R in 1990, picked up the pace again by playing a rambunctious, bluesy cover of Angie on piano while Rose was backstage, changing his shirt for the umpteenth time.

Then again, he was pretty hyperactive — constantly running across the stage, jumping, throwing his microphone stand or doing his trademark side-to-side sashay. He even attempted a jig when Bubbles of Trailer Park Boys came out to perform his cult hit, Liquor and Whores.

Opener Sebastian Bach, who joined Rose for a duet of My Michelle, didn’t seem to have the same vocal woes as his tourmate.

Not only does he have stronger pipes — holding notes for longer and higher — the overall volume of Bach’s bandmates seemed to be much lower.

Ergo, you could clearly hear the Peterborough native during his 70-minute set, which featured old Skid Row numbers — 18 and Life, I Remember You, Piece of Me, Monkey Business, Youth Gone Wild — and a few from his upcoming album.

If only Bach had Rose’s songs ... or Rose had Bach’s voice, then we would’ve truly been in Paradise City.

COMMENTS

Posted by Sandra Sperounes on December 8, 2006 1:28 PM MDT

Note: Rexall Place sold out crowd with stage at back of arena is 13,000/ full arena (NHL Hockey):17000 as of fall 1994 when called Skyreach Centre after re-modelling/modernization of the arena.

Original seating in 1974-94 when called Northlands Coliseum: 17,000 would be sold out/ full arena (NHL Hockey): 18,500.

bit hit and miss

well theres lots more to be told about the experience but im not home yet, only half way there, so once i get my thoughts collected and organized ill be writing them up, i dunno what ill mention and leave out yet but im sure there will be more stuff that maybe you didnt know....i dunno, ill have to see how this all pans out :D

there were also a few other questions i asked that i told Ron i would keep just to myself, that i cant mention on here, as that would make me a liar, and im not going to do that to Ron either, but they included topics such as Axl, of course, his guitar playing history, as well as life in the band.

i can respect that... and glad to see you had a good time.

yeah...the edmonton crowd was FAR more into the show than in Calgary...i mean...half the section i was in the ppl were SLEEPING 3/4s of the way thru the concert..and i mean sawing fuckin LOGS. not joking in the LEAST. at least in edmonton there wasnt a SLEEPING section on the floor BEHIND the soundbooth, it was too full of ppl having a good time.

• 4 months later...