Motley Spew

zakk

I had a friend who went to the Motley Crue/Aerosmith show last nite. He said Motley Crue was awful. Supposedly, Vince Neil sounded like crap and our local newspaper said he sang only 40% of the lyrics. The newspaper also said Bob Seger looked better than Neil even though he is 15 years older. The Crue did not even take their schedule encore. Don't know if this signals and end to the Crue for awhile; but it would be a shame. I like Motley Crue; but since Vince attacked Axl years ago I must say I get a certain satisfaction that Axl is getting good reviews and he is getting shit. What do other people think????

I'm going to the Crue/Aerosmith show on Monday, and although I'm certainly going to see Aerosmith, I think the Crue will be a decent opener. Vince is pretty lame nowadays, but I still get to see Nikki and Tommy! rock3

Aerosmith will be untouchable of course.

I had the chance to go see Motley/Aerosmith back in Sept. in New Jersey.

It's true that Vinces voice isnt like it used to be and he practically let the auidience sing the whole song of home sweet home (and sounded like he was out of breath all the time). But the music (without the lyrics) rocked and it was fun to sing along to the songs.

But Aerosmith...Aerosmith OMG! Steven Tylers voice was amazing and on key! And he was sick!

Even though...you can't expect all singers to sound like they did back when they were at there best. Look at Axl. His voice was great back in the day, sucked in 2002, and he came back in 2006 sounding amazing!

Goes to show that rest is a necessity for vocalists.

Edited by SlashsSweetchild

I'm going to the Crue/Aerosmith show on Monday, and although I'm certainly going to see Aerosmith, I think the Crue will be a decent opener. Vince is pretty lame nowadays, but I still get to see Nikki and Tommy! rock3

Aerosmith will be untouchable of course.

just saw em at the beacon... it was unreal. i saw this tour in august or september, though really fucking great. aerosmith is the only band i'll ever see more than like 6 times.

But seriously, their best stuff was put out without Vince Neil, and after they had already lost their popularity. Their self-titled album is killer.

i agree that the album is killer, though not necessarily their absolute best. totally different entities as far as i'm concerned.

I saw them last year, with Sum 41 and a few no-name opening acts. They still put on a good show, but they were better in the 80's. Vince Neil, with all the plastic surgery, you'd think he could get rid of the beer gut by now. I guess he can't stop drinking. Mick Mars looks like he could drop dead any minute, but he can still play. Nikki's still cool, and I wasn't impressed with Tommy's drum solo, but it's hard to top his solo from the "Girls,Girls,Girls" tour, which was the best ever.

Vince Neil sounded like crap and our local newspaper said he sang only 40% of the lyrics.

How is that different from any other night? :question:

I kid, I kid.

I like the Crue, especially their studio material, I went to see them on the carnival of sins tour last year and the show was great, but still Vince isn't in that great of shape and his singing isn't very good anymore.

I've heard a few bootlegs where he sounds pretty good but for a lot of others he sounds like crap and has the audience sing most of the songs for him. It's pretty obvious he has a drinking problem and that was probably why he messed up so much at the concert you described.

one thing about Vince; when he was younger he had a really high voice and he sang at his limits even then. now that he's in his mid-40's his voice has changed to a lower register and he's trying to sing shit that was high for a 23 year old Vince. when you think about it, it's amazing that Axl can still do what he does. i think the main reason is that Axl works really hard at it. whereas Vince is kinda lazy and just out there to have fun. Vince is a cool guy and if you're a fan of the band, he still makes the shows fun. for someone who has never heard him live before, i can understand the disappointment, but i know going in that he ain't gonna sound like the old albums anymore and i just enjoy the show for what it is, and that is a big ass rock n' roll party.

one thing about Vince; when he was younger he had a really high voice and he sang at his limits even then. now that he's in his mid-40's his voice has changed to a lower register and he's trying to sing shit that was high for a 23 year old Vince. when you think about it, it's amazing that Axl can still do what he does. i think the main reason is that Axl works really hard at it. whereas Vince is kinda lazy and just out there to have fun. Vince is a cool guy and if you're a fan of the band, he still makes the shows fun. for someone who has never heard him live before, i can understand the disappointment, but i know going in that he ain't gonna sound like the old albums anymore and i just enjoy the show for what it is, and that is a big ass rock n' roll party.

Well said. To an extent even Axl can't do what he did all those years ago, and it would be wrong of us to expect these guys to.

Vince is a great frontman, I enjoy watching him... but for me, as someone more of a vocalist that an instrument player, I find it hard to sing and get into it when the main man can't keep up with me. ;)

Edited by Leigh-Rok!

but for me, as someone more of a vocalist that an instrument player, I find it hard to sing and get into it when the main man can't keep up with me.

i know what you mean. i can sing circles around him too. being a lifelong Elvis fan rubs off on ya!

Indeed. mimicking Axl for all these years means you can pretty much do anyone. Although saying that, I sometimes struggle doing JBJ.

Edited by Leigh-Rok!