Axl using back up tape?

Gillian

So at one point Axl stopped the show because the crowd was getting a little to worked up and some "small people" in the front were getting squished.

When he stopped singing and wanted everyone to stop there were still vocals. It sounded like Axl though...

Does Axl sing with a back up tape? I am not the only one who noticed the vocals still going after Axl stopped singing and I didn't spot any of the other members singing.

edit: Yes I know this is going to be flooded with OMG axl doesn't use back up tapes etc. I am just going with what I saw and with what has been said on local radio stations.

Edited by Gillian

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what I thought so i originally dismissed the thought

Then a local radio station was even claiming that he was using a tape for the song

He could just use a tape for Brownstone...

Thats why I decided to ask everyone's opinions. I was shocked to hear the vocals still going So I was trying to find out who was still singing.

During Brownstone does Dizzy sing at all?.. thats the only person I couldn't see whether he was singing or not

Its possible it was Pitman. Does he sing during Brownstone?

I mean if it was obviously a band member singing why would a radio station who was supporting the concert (even handing out roses to the fans after the show) go and bash Axl and claim something false?

Edited by Gillian

Its possible it was Pitman. Does he sing during Brownstone?

I mean if it was obviously a band member singing why would a radio station who was supporting the concert (even handing out roses to the fans after the show) go and bash Axl and claim something false?

Robin sings during brownstone.

A8R

I didn't see him singing at that point

Oh well maybe video of the concert will surface and everything will be cleared up.

I just found it odd at first but dismissed it till recently when i found out what a local radio station was saying.

Edited by Gillian

I honestly don't believe he uses backup tapes, because his vocals get so weak sometimes - surely if he were using backup they would be more consistent. Sometimes he sounds awesome and then at other shows he sounds...not so much. Like at Rock Am Ring where he sounded amazing and then at KROQ where his helium voice was coming back again...I don't think he uses anything, and I have to say I respect him for that.

Really, he goes off key and stops at odd points enough to know it's not tape. Plus he's always out of breath and stuff running around you can hear him taking in air etc...he's not the most consistent live vocalist but that's rock n' roll and that's how you can tell there's no tape involved too ;-)

fair enough.

Thats what I was thinking to Although he wasn't really moving around in Brownstone... and that was the one song I could think of him using the tape for.

I still find it amusing how a radio station would say he was using a back up tape.

Edited by Gillian

After seeing 2 shows in 2 weeks or so, there is no way we are hearing a tape. We can clearly remember and commented about the difference in the pitch? and length of the same notes on the same songs and how they were different between the 2 nights. We are hearing 100% Axl.and I personally think Axls voice sounds as good as ever.

Hmm, first they say that he sucks and can't sing live, but when he proves them wrong by laying out tremendous vocals then the only reason for it to happen that way is because "he uses a back-up tape".

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

(I'm talkin' about the radio station)

Edited by IndiannaRose

I refuse to believe this.

But if its true it doens't really bother me.

it should.

You can hear him off-key and you can tell a difference in tone from show to show (sometimes better and sometimes worse) plus- he stops in the middle of songs sometimes to rant so I don't think he's using tape.

the backup tape phenomenon is a lot different now than it was in he milli vanilli days. now if a singer is using backup, there's someone running a computer back/sidestage whose only job is to watch the singer and run the tracks. it is totally possible for them to pull it off without you knowing even in a space that would be obvious otherwise. with those mic-packs it would be easy for axl to control his own backup track just when he wants it.....

i think that axl does use them, albeit very sparingly and not necesarily every night. i can't imagine him using it in "brownstone" b/c that song is in a low register and that's why i imagine it's always been early in the set: axl can plunge through it no problem and it rests his voice.

now, if the crowd heard audible lyrics coming through the PA when no one else ws singing, then it was backup. but, if it was just the sound of his voice/a sustained note it could have been a vocal effect, a keyboard sound, reverb in the room, or any number of things....

also, just because he wasn't using a backup track at whatever show in the past months, doesn't mean he's not using them now. this tour's been going for awhile and the human voice is a fragile thing: he may not have needed backup until the last week or something, dig?

when the drummer is wearing headphones in a song without samples, that usually mean there's something of this nature going on. there's no reason for the drummer to wear headphones in any of the old songs.....why not just use earplugs and wedge monitors, or the in-ear monitor like axl does? headphones imply that he's listening for a number of sampled/not live sounds.....

Just a thought - maybe Axl uses tapes on the first three songs, WTTJ, ISE & Mr.B. Those gets allways played, hardly ever even have a song introduction between them, I haven't ever heard Axl stopping one of'em (atleast in new GN'R-shows) and they're essential for the show to be a success.

Edited by Wando

He does not use backing tapes. Axl always does little twists with the vocals here and there, sometimes he doesn't hit a note quite right, and sometimes he throws in a "fuckin'" or "bitch" or whatever. These things would not be on a tape.

he doesnt use backing tapes. During the blues in dublin he begain singing too early and had to stop halfway.

at RAR (i think) he got the start of my michelle wrong. theirs other examples aswell. if he used a tape they wouldent happen.

Just a thought - maybe Axl uses tapes on the first three songs, WTTJ, ISE & Mr.B. Those gets allways played, hardly ever even have a song introduction between them, I haven't ever heard Axl stopping one of'em (atleast in new GN'R-shows) and they're essential for the show to be a success.

Glasgow 21st July 2006

Axl stops after It's So Easy to tell the crowd to step back.

I was on the barrier and fuck me the ribs took a nice knocking that night, got pulled out though.

Anyway..no i don't think Axl uses a backing tape. His ear monitor controls the volume of his monitor only..seriously some of you guys think he has his own little mixing desk on his belt. He DOES NOT control the output volume of his microphone. He controls what goes into his ear ONLY, the equilavent of turning up your Ipod.

Edited by Crackers