Axl using back up tape?

Gillian

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl also has a cool little effects box he wears on his sides. You can seem fiddle with it in certain songs. I'm pretty sure there's some kind of echo effect on there.

ever wondered what these things in his ears are?

he controls the volume of his in-ear monitors, not some effects. he would never control effects by himself... he has no clue what the sound is like for the audience. he hears his monitors only. and his monitors arefor him alone.

btw. i don't think he uses back up tape.... imo it's pretty obvious he doesn't

Edited by neon

I Can't believe you people are actually debating this. Axl's voice is very weak sometimes live. If he was using backup tapes, why would they be so weak. Why not just lip-sync? I mean fuck! His voice is barely there sometimes, it's shaky etc. Don't tell me that he couldn't record better samples. Plus, why would he fuck up recorded samples lyrics?

Edited by adnan

using a back up tape doesn't mean your not going to sing. It can be used in hard songs to make your voice seem stronger when you sing with it.

I am not saying he uses it on every song. There are a couple that just sound like he does.

We aren't saying he fucks up recorded samples. If he was singing with his own vocals on some songs you would still hear his screw ups live over top of the recorded stuff

During "Better", Axl finished singing, then went to have a drink of beer/water/whatever. I could hear some lyrics going on. It sounded like a non-nasal Axl, with no rasp, so not all that much like Axl. I looked up, and saw Pitman singing. This was in Calgary

It's Pitman.

HE DOES!

You can hear it in "it's so easy" in RIR 3 and you can also hear it on the "high pitch singing" in "better" from Rock Am Ring. If you see both those videos you will see and hear it.

So, He does ;)

But he still sings on top and it sounds great.

I always thought it looked like Pitman singing back-up vocals during Rock Am Ring's "Better."

using a back up tape doesn't mean your not going to sing. It can be used in hard songs to make your voice seem stronger when you sing with it.

I am not saying he uses it on every song. There are a couple that just sound like he does.

We aren't saying he fucks up recorded samples. If he was singing with his own vocals on some songs you would still hear his screw ups live over top of the recorded stuff

EXACTLY! I never said he wasn't singing. people on here don't understand what backing vocals are. axl uses his own backing vocals on the albums, idiots, and he uses them live as well. reading some of your comments, i wonder if any of you have actually even heard this band live (new or old)...

"Oh and make it barely audible"

Why the fuck would you do that? You are talking out of your arse sir.

In the end, there have been 1000's of times Axl could have been caught out. At the end of paradise city, there's a shit load of stuff going on..why would you need it then?

Because it adds to the montsterous fucking ending, thats why. It is very cleverly mixed in, but you can hear it and it sounds fucking awesome. I don't know why you're so resistant to the idea that axl uses recorded samples of himself when he plays live....

tons of singers (who are even better than axl) do this. one example is radiohead. thom yorke is a waaaay better singer than and he also uses lots samples of himself live. They don't use these samples because they can't sing, they use them because their voice is an instrument and they are mixing it into the music because it sounds awesome. the lead vocal goes over top.

don't argue about this, son!

HE DOES!

You can hear it in "it's so easy" in RIR 3 and you can also hear it on the "high pitch singing" in "better" from Rock Am Ring. If you see both those videos you will see and hear it.

It's Pitman and Stinson singing that part on Better.

Still, you can hear it on it so easy in RIR 3. And it's not a bad thing. So I don't know why people are getting so fisty over this.

And in the start of better you can hear the back up "vocals, track" and you he then sings along with it. why would he sing along with the back up vocals???

See, I've never heard any backup except the band. When Axl fucks up and starts over a verse we should hear the backup but we don't, at least I don't. Ehh, five pages... we seem to have nothing meaningful to talk about :P

Dear Axl and Merck, please release a statement or something so we can talk about something more meaningful B)

HE DOES!

Still, you can hear it on it so easy in RIR 3. And it's not a bad thing. So I don't know why people are getting so fisty over this.

And in the start of better you can hear the back up "vocals, track" and you he then sings along with it. why would he sing along with the back up vocals???

I just watched one of the RIR3 videos. You Could Be Mine, just picked at random. Holy shit did that band fuck up that song.

Growing pains...

:krider:

HE DOES!

he sings along with the back-up vocals because it adds to the "layer sound"

And thats also someone singing back-up on ISE from RIR3

You just don't understand it

edit: if there is one during ISE at RIR3, why does it stop when Axl goes to kick the guy out

listen to ISE or brownstone from the original band too, its there also, that DUFF SIGNING, not a backing tape

Edited by jc524

He doesnt because he is always chaning lyrics around even for the classics, and if he was using a tape it would be obvious. Plus if he was using a back up tape you would hear it on his monitor mixes which you dont hear a backing track on those now do you

HE DOES!

That is tommy that you are hearing not axl. As for its so easy from RIR 3 you are full of shit. If he was using a track then you would haev heard it when he started with get that guy outta here part and you dont. Tommy and Ron have been taught to take over vocals of axl walks off stage or what not.

totally BS...

axl doesn't use backup tapes for vocals....that's one think i totally respect about him...his voice might die some nights, but he still belts it out...a true rock n' roller.

As a musician who also knows the technical side of things, you can easily tell axl is singing every night - it's different every night...what you may have heard was echo or backup vocals...

at the most, they use some midi/sampling for tracks..but that would be music..not vocals...

cheers

as a side note, i work at a major broadcasting station that revolves around music...i've seen the pro-recorded shows that we get for media use (ususally first 3 songs of each show), and there are no backup tapes being used for vocals.

HE DOES!

So, He does ;)

But he still sings on top and it sounds great.

In Better from Rock Am Ring, it's clearly Tommy Stinson singing the backing vocals. I don't think he uses tape at all. 0_0