Myth and counter-myth in GNR's world

Axingn'r

First, I admit when I opened this thread and started reading I was actually surprised so make what you will of my response. I expected another "They're the greatest" types of mindless conversations and instead got Joseph Campbell. Fun to read how peoples minds work but I expect lots of people (all but 2 or 3 of you) stopped reading the details here after their eyes glazed over and instead started searching for the insults, simpler theories, drama...and this "Kanadia" person. (Yes, you are now pseudo-famous. Congrats buddy.)

Lets give them what they want. For everyone reading this right now please take a moment out of your life to celebrate how smart and clever some of "us" are that contributed to this fascinating subject. That is what "us" is looking for isn't it? You're so smart, thank you for your contribution on our little board (can I say "our" here?). I'm also willing to bet (because you're so smart) that you're detecting a tone of sarcasm in my writing? Why? Is it because I'm really being sarcastic or is it because I agree with you and I want to mask my true feelings in a smart-assed comment because I'm insecure? Pray to the God of your choice for an answer...wait, or mabe that's exactly what I "wanted" you to do?! Hmmm...better do some more thinking first glasshoppa.

I need to get back to the "what if C-A-T really spells dog" theory now but I'll leave you with this...

if your "dreams" could come true and the band you love SO much paid a visit to your house one day would you sit around and tell them how cool they are and stare at them or would you offer em' a damn beer?

The choice is ALWAYS yours. Personally, I wouldn't take out a rag and spit-polish my own brain in front of them just to show them in person how scary some serious overthinking can be. There's a difference between an intelligent conversation and the mindset of a stalker.

"Did you see Die-Hard?" -Chris Farley

I tell ya...there are some people on here who are so narrow minded that I often wonder if they are in front of their monitor with a set of race-horse blinders on. Or if they are really just that narrow minded!?!

I quoted your comment again because that last comment of mine wasn't really my style and I didn't feel right after posting it publicly so it's gone (DELETED).

For those that missed it...don't worry, it was just a little theory of mine, an answer to some of these questions floating around here.

For those that didn't miss it...it didn't apply to you. No worries, carry on.

For those that read it but STILL somehow missed it...quick plug all the hole in your head! That hampster is looking for a way out again.

Axl probably never read Roland Barthes' books, nevertheless what Axl has been doing for ten years confirms Barthes' theories about myths and counter-myths... And it also confirms that Axl is a very intelligent guy.

The best weapon against a myth, it is to mythicize it in return, it is to produce an artificial myth... The power of the second myth is based on the fact that the first one looks naive comparatively...

The founding myth in this case is obviously the AFD line-up. Then, the only way for Axl to continue using the GNR name was to create a counter-myth : Chinese Democracy.

I think this helps to understand a couple of things that are going on nowadays : when Chinese Democracy gets released it could be the end of the second myth. It may explain the continual hesitations about the release of CD.

I understand your thought, but it is nor logical or pratical. It is the 3 myth...

I think we all knew this stuff in the back of our heads, but it was good to get som theory on it.

I think, however, that the first myth was the reunion. If Axl had any myth to kill, that was it. And yeah, if Chinese Democracy "fails", everyone will reload the bitching.