Axl walk-off last night (Portland show, Dec 11th)

Towserhead

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well..i was at the calgary and edmonton show..and you know the difference between the two other than the one song they played differently? the crowd. edmonton was FAR more into the show for the first 45 mins than calgary was...but thats also asking a lot too at 2am :P i dunno. maybe the album is like 'chinese democracy' and will never happen...who knows? but even during their earlier tours*199x*..look at the setlists...and compare them to now....

Different people and different times. Those setlists were for hard core fans, these ones are for casual fans...

I just called Guiness Book Of Records and yes there is a spot available for the following:

GUNS N' ROSES: The Only Band who isn't allowed to talk about their own album!

GUNS N' ROSES: Most expensive album ever to NOT come out!

:rolleyes:

Granted, I had a little bit of a great buzz going on, Axl's voice sounded like a train wreck, and reverb was still coming down, but last night it sounded like he said something more like 'And now I'm suppose to tell you that is from our forthcoming album'. It seems to make more sense too. Basically, Axl is trying to say the record company is trying to push him to promote the album/single, but he doesn't like to promote stuff that way, and it was his slight dig at the record company and mention of the album at the same time.

IMO, Sebastian Bach rocked the house for having an opening band sound system. If you have seen the show yet, try to get a lighter in for it. Bach was also great last night interacting with the crowd. After one girl flashed the audience he got a lot more girls to join in on it, got the spotlights working them, and after a few minutes of exposure and banter, finally said something like 'well, I know we would all love to look at these fucking great tits all night, but the show must go on'. Bach could reign supreme in rock n' roll again if he could channel his pipes to a proper melody and notes instead of jumping to his 'balls to the wall' wail he loves so much. That being said, he rocked it.

Helmet was also pretty good, but suffered from the opening band sound system curse as well, and sometimes, unless you are a diehard fan, it churns along at the same type of song again and again.

B)-->

QUOTE(mr.b @ Dec 12 2006, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well..i was at the calgary and edmonton show..and you know the difference between the two other than the one song they played differently? the crowd. edmonton was FAR more into the show for the first 45 mins than calgary was...but thats also asking a lot too at 2am :P i dunno. maybe the album is like 'chinese democracy' and will never happen...who knows? but even during their earlier tours*199x*..look at the setlists...and compare them to now....

Different people and different times. Those setlists were for hard core fans, these ones are for casual fans...

yeah..tahts a good point...and proven so much more backstage in edmonton...2 chicks were there...they didnt even KNOW what Axl looked like..:P both about 18 IF that.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr.b @ Dec 12 2006, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

yeah..tahts a good point...and proven so much more backstage in edmonton...2 chicks were there...they didnt even KNOW what Axl looked like..:P both about 18 IF that.

Priceless. Still alot of people dont know what he looks like now, and for the 02 tour, we wont go down that road...

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr.b @ Dec 12 2006, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Priceless. Still alot of people dont know what he looks like now, and for the 02 tour, we wont go down that road...

yeah i had to describe him so they would clue in IF he had shown up...and tell them who was who in the room :P man...talk about a nursery school :P

yeah i had to describe him so they would clue in IF he had shown up...and tell them who was who in the room :P man...talk about a nursery school :P

Still its a hard tob to name off the band, theres so many of them like...

B)-->

QUOTE(mr.b @ Dec 12 2006, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

axl ended with better because he wanted to, maybe he had to take a shit or something, who cares.

I thought it was Maddy, but your point stilll stands...

He ended with madagascar, but made the forthcoming album comment about Better

... After Better, he mentions that he's learned that he's supposed to say things like "that's a song from our forthcoming album...".

lol. That's great.

Shows he has a sense of humor - and he reads these forums. Too funny.

That was one of the things I mentioned in my "Honesty and respect" thread... :o

But I think a lot of people have been saying that, too.

Last night's show; (From Htgth.com concert page, incase someone find's it useful)

December 11th, 2006 - Portland, OR @ The Rose Garden Arena

Setlist: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Robin Guitar Solo/Jam (with Dizzy & Frank), Sweet Child O' Mine, Better, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Piano Moving Jam, Dizzy Piano Solo, The Blues, You Could Be Mine, Richard Guitar Solo, Richard & Robin Guitar Duet, Out Ta Get Me, IRS, Rocket Queen, Down On The Farm, Ron Guitar Solo (Don't Cry), My Michelle (with Sebastian Bach), Used To Love Her, Patience, Nightrain

Encore: Chinese Democracy, Madagascar

Notes: After Sweet Cild O' Mine, Axl comments on how the venue's name, The Rose Garden, has a nice ring to it.

After Better, he mentions that he's learned that he's supposed to say things like "that's a song from our forthcoming album...".

Opening acts: Helmet, Suicide Girls, Sebastian Bach

Capacity: 15,000

no November Rain either?

A crowd of thousands of people who wanted to see him play PC isn't good enough to determine him to play it?What would have cost him?7 minutes of his life?

They don't have to perform any of the songs that they do, they could of gone on stage and simply yodelled(sp) for 2 hours :P

that would have been interesting :lol:

Show was good.

Axl sounded good.

After Better he said (paraphrasing) That was a song from our forthcoming album - I've learned not to mention that.

He said it with an ironic smirk that let you know he knew it had been promised for years with no release.

I took it to mean it will be released soon, but he knew after all this time no one would believe him.

The small crowd sucked. I'd estimate 5000. If it were friday night instead of 11:45pm on a monday I'm sure there would have been a better showing. Show ended about 2:10 - 2:15AM.

Before encore Axl said goodnight.

Encore: Chinese Democracy, Madagascar. No Paradise City.

I wouldn't have done Paradise either had I been Axl. Crowd didn't ask for it and didn't deserve it.

There was no walkoff in a huff. He finished the show. When the lights came up, half the floor "fans" were already out the exits.

I doubt that made the band feel like there was any enthusiasm for a second encore.

Couple suggestions. Dump Suicide Girls and Helmut. Start the show late. If the show starts at 8:00PM, don't bother coming until 10:00.

The show sucks until Bach - I was getting pissed. Then Axl made it all good by surprising the shit out of me and taking the stage as soon as it was ready, and sounding FAR better than I expected.

I agree with Portland GNR about the opening acts...if you are going to have 3 opening bands...and Bach played over an hour...start the show at 7 at least. Not 8. Most people have to get up around 7am on weekdays and it is hard not to be draggin ass when you have been partying for 3 hours and then GNR goes on at 15 minutes til midnight.

The crowd was kind of lame, but then again, they responded pretty well to Bach and it wasn't 1am. Watching GNR do there thing and interact twice with the audience over 2.5 hours felt like watching TV and wasn't too exciting either.