An Open Letter From Merck

madison

The first option sounds a little bs but sounds like the best bet

it doesnt set a date which is good becuz as we all know many gnr fans are already upset about the cancellations of the tour & many times a date has been set & nothing has been shown- therefore Merck, GNR and anyone else will not let down anyone if they havent "promised" anything

as for me, personally: im not sure if this will happen- if it does im happy for everyone who has worked for this to come out & for us the fans who have waited patiently n impatiently

if the album never shows face- it wont really matter we have heard some new songs & there was a World Tour- & GNR shouldnt feel that bad-no matter what happens there are fans forever

On the other hand, what about the tour starting in Dubai?? i recall hearing that a while back and it made no sense then or now, who the hell would go to that show?!

i know. what's the next stop? Baghdad?

Holy crap you people are stupid.

30+ and still no idea.:rolleyes: Dumbass cowboys.

Sorry but the comments about BBF and Frank being added to CD have just made my anticipation for this album plummet wildly. God dammit.:fuckyou:

Still... the Arcade Fire "leak" rules. Think happy thoughts.:)

When Merck said the "muse" didn't show up, do you guys take that as meaning Axl PHYSICALLY never went to the studio's, or does "muse" in this case mean his inspriration or work ethic was gone?

inspiration, i think.

That is what I think he means as well.

i presume merck is fired.

could someone help me with where in axl or mercks letter it says that hes been fired?

You're kidding right? From Axl's letter:

This was compounded by an overall sense of a lack of respect by management for the band and crew and each individual's particular expertise that has resulted, unfortunately, in the end of both Guns’ and my managerial involvement with Merck Mercuriadis.
Edited by GNRfan2008

I want to remind everyone to respect Forum rules when making comments about both Axl and Merck (and anyone else for that matter).

It's ok to discuss, have different points of view, be mad, be glad, etc. But there's a big difference in comminucating disagreement or insatisfaction and bashing.

All Forum rules are important, I would like to outline these two:

1) Be polite and respect other members and point of views, harassment will not tolerated

10) This is a GNR FAN Forum, members should keep this in mind when posting. Do not bash GNR, VR, MEMBERS, EX-MEMBERS, or their MANAGEMENT

Thank you,

PS I apologize to all the fans irked by my facetious comments regarding the release date to Rolling Stone magazine. They were meant to poke fun at a magazine that had announced a definitive release date, causing us all lots of grief, when none had been set. Unfortunately many of you took them to heart and for that I am sorry.

What release date to Rolling Stone? Is this the Nov 21st rumour that we had?

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 12 December 2006 14:11:02 GMT-08:00

Subject: Album Press Release

Regardless of the issues that exist between Axl and myself I believe it is important for an announcement on the album to be put out this week and at the same time cover the cancellation of the 5 shows in January. Further to this I have thought about the album release date taking into account the issues between Axl and myself and my view is that the album should be set for release on the 20th of March rather than the 6th of February. March 20th is the first day of Spring and a positive day. This allows for three months to set it up properly around the world without unmanageable pressure and for it to be well imbedded in the market place before the summer lull sets in. It also allows for the deal to be done with the label and any change in Management etc which may be made to be made as well as detailed meetings on the touring which on this basis would start in Dubai just before the album's release. The note will be most effective if it comes from Axl as he will then be seen as the good guy who is giving people the information they want. Having said that it could come from either Howard or myself or both of us. I have presented two options the first not giving a release date and the second one stating it. The message would be posted as the lead story on gunsnroses.com and we would then point all of the media there. I would appreciate it if you would all let me know your thoughts on all of this keeping in mind that this is a work in progress.

Option 1

Merry Christmas To You All

We are into the last week of the tour and Christmas is almost here so I wanted to take the time not only to wish you Merry Christmas but to also explain why CHINESE DEMOCRACY is not under your tree or in the stores as we wanted it would be. We read the papers and we know you want - demand! - news. We have been in the final stages of renegotiating our deal with our record label and it has been a long slow process - not unlike making the record! The discussion started over a year ago but did not become serious until they started hearing the mixes. Everyone involved has worked hard to get the deal completed so we could get the record out this month but a few weeks ago it became obvious that was not going to happen. We then held out as we wanted to at least be able to give you the release date before Christmas but unfortunately we are still not there yet. This is not meant to spark a hate campaign on the label. This is an unusual and complicated situation as we have worked a long time on this album and it is important to us to make sure that everything including the deal is right. At the same time it is a business that has to work for everyone involved. We have all - you included - waited a long time for this and this is not the time to compromise. The first news you will hear from us in 2007 will be to announce the album's release date. Without the album out it does not make sense to do the 5 shows we have scheduled for January in isolation so they are being cancelled and we will focus on getting the album out. Until that time we want to thank you for all of your support in 2006 and wish you all the best for the holidays and a happy new year.

W. Axl Rose

Option 2

Merry Christmas To You All

We are into the last week of the tour and Christmas is almost here so I wanted to take the time not only to wish you Merry Christmas but to also explain why CHINESE DEMOCRACY is not under your tree or in the stores as we wanted it to be. We read the papers and we know you want - demand! - news. We have been in the final stages of renegotiating our deal with our record label and it has been a long slow process - not unlike making the record! The discussion started over a year ago but did not become serious until they started hearing the mixes. Everyone involved has worked hard to get the deal completed so we could get the record out this month but a few weeks ago it became obvious that was not going to happen. We have all - you included - waited a long time for this and this was not the time to compromise. We then held out on making an announcement as we wanted to at least be able to give you the release date before Christmas so here it is. Chinese Democracy will be released on the 20th of March in the US and Canada - the first day of Spring and a time for new beginnings! - and on the 19th of March everywhere else in the world. Without the album out it does not make sense to do the 5 shows we have scheduled for January in isolation so they are being cancelled and we will focus on getting the album out. We want to thank you for all of your support in 2006 and wish you all the best for the holidays and a happy new year. We look forward to seeing you in 2007!

W. Axl Rose

What is all the text about?

Cheers,

Andrew

Actually, I think this was quite fair, honest and respectable on Merck's part. He's not ass kissing either 'cause he's fired now anyway and would have nothing to gain by sucking up to Axl.

This could have gone down much worse, so props to Merck for 'taking the high road' :)

I want to remind everyone to respect Forum rules when making comments about both Axl and Merck (and anyone else for that matter).

It's ok to discuss, have different points of view, be mad, be glad, etc. But there's a big difference in comminucating disagreement or insatisfaction and bashing.

1) Be polite and respect other members and point of views, harassment will not tolerated

10) This is a GNR FAN Forum, members should keep this in mind when posting. Do not bash GNR, VR, MEMBERS, EX-MEMBERS, or their MANAGEMENT

Thank you,

Top post, Eric.

It's good to see the rules being enforced - such as rule #3:

3) Racist, homophobic and sexual posts, images, or signatures not allowed

Thank you,

But mercks ex managment.

:P

I kid

Thank you,

But mercks ex managment.

:P

I kid

same thing though :)

From Axl's open letter:

The band and I, along with our record company, feel that this record deserves the proper setup and promotion, not the “13 Tuesdays left” and “It may just appear in your record store” approach offered by management. We believe this strategy may have been used as a tool by management to sell this latest tour to the various promoters, and if this was the case, this was obviously unfair to them.

Merck,accept it cunt. Your a fucking tool. :fuckyou:

More like another scapegoat, maybe him and BH should get together for a chat :rofl-lol:

Everyone is culpable and Merck is terribly unprofessional. Axl should not have made statements alluding to it's imminent release before the end of the year. And Merck, if he had any integrity should not have supported such statements with vague "string along" blurbs to the press. This was a money grab to further production of the album. This was done at the expense of honosty and integrity to the fan paying public. Who got screwed? YOU AND ME that's who!! In the end, Merck is the one who should have enlightened his artist client as to the reasonablness of any sort of comment made about the album for public consumption. In this instance he failded to act in the best interest of Axl and managed to look like an asshole in the process. I look forward to Chinese Democracy. I am a fan of Axl Rose and I think the new band rocks. But this first step in being fair and honost with the public (and I hope it is) as demonstrated by the open letter from Axl is just that, a first step. It doesn't erase the bad history and lack of good will created by the band on their fan base....but it's a start.

what a bunch of bs excuses, thats what i think

im still gonna be a fan and still buy the cd if it comes out

but it just seems like a bunch of bs, and proves that somebody in gnr is not very profesional, whoever that is, 2, or 3 days left? right right, well u got the 24,the 25 and the 1st of january how about using those

the truth is there's been plenty of time, how about just finishing it and holding off the tour

the album should be set for release on the 20th of March rather than the 6th of February. March 20th is the first day of Spring and a positive day. This allows for three months to set it up properly around the world without unmanageable pressure and for it to be well imbedded in the market place before the summer lull sets in. It also allows for the deal to be done with the label and any change in Management etc which may be made to be made as well as detailed meetings on the touring which on this basis would start in Dubai just before the album's release. The note will be most effective if it comes from Axl as he will then be seen as the good guy who is giving people the information they want. Having said that it could come from either Howard or myself or both of us.

So, they've been thinking about releasing the album on Axl's birthday... :shocked:

And the Asian tour will start in Dubai a few days before CD's release... Weird strategy.

Edited by Axingn'r

the album should be set for release on the 20th of March rather than the 6th of February. March 20th is the first day of Spring and a positive day. This allows for three months to set it up properly around the world without unmanageable pressure and for it to be well imbedded in the market place before the summer lull sets in. It also allows for the deal to be done with the label and any change in Management etc which may be made to be made as well as detailed meetings on the touring which on this basis would start in Dubai just before the album's release. The note will be most effective if it comes from Axl as he will then be seen as the good guy who is giving people the information they want. Having said that it could come from either Howard or myself or both of us.

So, they've been thinking about releasing the album on Axl's birthday... :shocked:

And the Asian tour will start in Dubai a few days before CD's release... Weird strategy.

Axl's birthday was long on my speculation list of dates...also cause it is my birthday too!!!

Edited by AxlCorp

First of all thanks for respecting the freedom of speech here ( I have been a member on htgth much longer then here, never had any trouble, but this bullshit about not being allowed to discuss Merck really does it)

and give Merck the opportunity to speak. I am sure that his letter gave us a lot of insight. And since it does not really stand against anything Axl wrote himself I am also pretty sure that he spoke the truth.

There were times when I was really pissed off because of the whole lack of communication but Mercks letter today shows that this guy is real. Appreciate that, hard to tell if anyone else could have brought "new" GnR so far. Also interesting that they had to tour and create income to keep GnR alive. If this was really so, then Merck did a good job; I guess it was his job to oversee the financial aspects, while Axl only focuses on perfectionizing the album. Hard to know if anyone else could have managed to release the album in time....

wow, i'm only now reading this.. Shocked

you know, it makes a LOT of sense!!! guess the inspiration or lack of for that matter is Axl's karma lol

it definetely explains the constant delay of CD and I can't blame him really, i'm in the creative business as well (graphic design) and inspiration can be a bitch..

i'm happy to see Ron and Frank has both contributed to the album, and that Robin has an important role in making it a big success! I really heart Robin, he's so creative!

this letter, although not as cool as Axl's, explains a lot more realistically what went down this year since February, all the time spans make perfect sense, and everything falls into place after reading this..

while this letter makes me think a bit better of Merck, it still makes me glad Axl fired him because of the two option letters he wrote.. LMAO!!!! i'm WAY happy we didn't get any of those letters as Axl's response.. they suck!!! lol!! Axl's letter is much more proffesional and honest.. these ones from Merck are kinda comical to tell the truth.. as are all his comments always (though i've got to admit we were harsh with him about the rolling stone comment, knowing now that it was a piss take on the magazine)

As I mentioned earlier, I don't find that there are many similarities between his letter and Axl's. Why is he taking the credit?

Because he probably can't stand Axl's fairness. Axl cleared some things up in his open letter about Merck and the management and how they uses G N' R to grab some mony. In my oppinion it's very immature of Merck to state that he wrote that letter before Axl. Why should i believe him after all the lies he told us. Axl also said that the album had to be released this year,and he probably had a plan in his mind how to do,but Merck made it impossible by pushing the band a bit too hard.

the new Guns N' Roses (which kicks the shit out of the old)

Not cool. :no:

I agree; it was unneccessary, and unprofessional.

maybe.

But I cant help agreeing with him :)

i've herad so much annoying bullshit from you, i'm not even gonna respond to this, chris... but iw will say this. if the new bands so much better, thne how come the old bands had more albums? hmm?? Edited by Paradise City Man