An Open Letter From Merck

madison

Im getting annoyed that everyone (including Axl himself) thinks of Axl as the Master of Musical Genuis or some shit. We should just fall all over ourselves to do what he demands when hes having an inspirational moment. When that rare moment arrives anything that comes out of him is pure gold and we must gather around with our recording devices, our cameras and our paint brushes before it disappears. Yeah and doves fly out of his asshole as well. Ok that was a joke.

But truly - ok he wrote November Rain and he was part of making one of the best rock records. But a lot of his stuff in my opinion is over indulged and bloated. Thats why I really really hope CD proves me wrong. Because I think hes a fucken awesome singer and performer but hes never impressed me with his songwriting abilities. YET.

I still think Izzy and Slash created the brilliance of AFD. So flame me.

OK, I'll bite on your flamebait. It wasn't just the guitar-playing that was different and set GN'R apart from other glam and "hair" metal bands of the 1980s. It was Axl fuckin' Rose's vitriol and passion that he sang with. Axl was absolutely incredible and still is even now. If it was just about guitars, then AFD wouldn't have been what it was my friend. I hate to break it to ya, but there have been plenty of great guitar albums before AFD (some of which were actually better). Pretty much everything Jimmy Page put out with Led Zeppelin, as well as Hendrix, Clapton, etc.

I just feel that it was a combination of the guitars and Axl's vocal style rather than one or the other. Either would have made for a kickass band on its own, but together the two sounds (Slash/Izzy's guitar work with Axl's vocals) proved to be absolutely lethal when it came to their competition. As their career bio on All Music Guide (I think it's on this one?) says, they flattened America with a steamroller. Slash and Izzy couldn't have done it without Axl. That's a fact. And Axl couldn't have done it without them either (which you've already stated).

As for Axl's bratty behavior, I completely agree. If he wants to pretend like he's some songwriting genius, then whatever. But I think most would say he's a good songwriter but nowhere near a great one. See Bob Dylan, Lennon/McCartney, Joni Mitchell, etc. for that. If Axl were as great of a songwriter as he thinks he is, then he wouldn't have felt a need to sing so many cover songs in his career. They're damn good covers for sure, but it still shows a lack of creativity. Hell, GN'R even put out a full album of cover songs for crying out loud. LOL.

But Slash and Izzy would have been nobodies without Axl.

They all brought out the best in each other for sure, but it's highly debatable and I think offbase to say Slash(or Axl) would've been "nobodies" without each other. Both these guys are supreme artists and IMO would've eventually found some level of success and likely stardom.

Slash could've catapulted a lot of average rock bands to excellence. Ditto for Axl. And I think Duff would've found his place.

Together = Best

Apart = Still phenominal individual musicians and performers who would've elevated many bands and shined. These guys are born ROCK STARS...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

How can this Merck person say that Axl's Band kicks the shit out of GNR?

:rofl-lol:

Is he on drugs????

Bob Marley

go dig a hole and burry your self in it. :)

EDIT:

called him a noob..but he was here longer than me

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Edited by GNRfan001

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Is he on drugs????

Bob Marley

go dig a hole and burry your self in it. N00B

Technically he's not, because well, if you look at the rate he registered, he's been here 2 years before you so..

Is he on drugs????

Bob Marley

yeah man, it's imposable to do so! :lol:

I don't know about if the Chinese Democracy will be better than AFD (am waiting tell I hear it first)..but one thing is for sure...

NEW GNR IS BETTER AT LIVE SHOWS! ...it kicks the crap out of old GNR! rock4

Is he on drugs????

Bob Marley

yeah man, it's imposable to do so! :lol:

I don't know about if the Chinese Democracy will be better than AFD (am waiting tell I hear it first)..but one thing is for sure...

NEW GNR IS BETTER AT LIVE SHOWS! ...it kicks the crap out of old GNR! rock4

I agree.

And since Merck obviously have heard the almoust finished stuff he have the right to say that they are better than the old drunken heroin addicted guys rock3

Is he on drugs????

Bob Marley

go dig a hole and burry your self in it. N00B

Technically he's not, because well, if you look at the rate he registered, he's been here 2 years before you so..

i will edit it for you :)

Axl's GnR are far better individual musicians, of that there is no doubt. Whether they're a better band collectively is a whole different discussion and one none of us can give an opinion on since we haven't heard CD. If Merck has and thinks it's better than old GnR then he's entitled to his opinion.

Edited by PurpleHaze

Opinions are like assholes, everyone’s got one. Even Merck got one (perhaps two), but that's not the point. It'S just disrespectful to the old band and what they have achieved. Merck should have known that, he's a professional manager, but that wasn't very professional.

I'm also hoping VR improves with thier next album.

I think everyone is..

not really i think VR are pretty good.

so....you don't want the next record to be better?

*cough*modbeingofftopic*cough*

*cough*mightwanttocheckyourtrackrecordforrulebreaking*cough*