Whats the deal with all the Izzy talk…again?

damnesiac

I thought everyone had moved past this a long time ago. Now, seemingly because of a post dreamed up by a bored fan, people are starting this up all over again.

Some people seem to wish it was 1988 again so much it’s distracting them from fully enjoying what is happening right now.

It’s NEVER going to be the way it was again, EVER. That time has past, get over it. Even if the ‘classic’ lineup (whatever you consider that to be) were reformed, they are not the same people they were back then. The music wouldn’t be the same, it SHOULDN’T be the same. How much have YOU changed during the last 20 years? I admit there is something nice, something comforting, in seeing a band you grew up with all standing on the same stage again, it just ‘looks’ right. Like a kids’ divorced parents suddenly getting back together again, but the bottom line is even if it looks the same it can never be the way it was, too many years have gone by, too many new differences in ideas, in basic musical tastes.

Take Pink Floyd, for any fan out there that saw them together again at G8 it was akin to seeing God but as much as everyone wanted it to be like the old days it just wasn’t the same. Besides the obvious silver hair and sagging skin there was still this underlying tension, you could see it in David Gilmour’s face and in his body language. Roger Waters seemed genuinely thrilled to be there but it was painfully obvious that even though these guys were all standing together there was still a rift between them; a ‘Wall’. If you were there you’ll always have the self-satisfaction of knowing you saw something that hadn’t been seen in a very long time but that’s really about all there is. They sounded really good but not ‘amazing’, it wasn’t the best performance of their lives. Hell, it wasn’t even in the top-twenty. That’s a really hard thing for me to admit because I am, and have always been, a huge fan, but it’s the truth.

Every great band hits their creative peak together at some point. After it happens they can spend the rest of their lives trying to recapture it but the odds are stacked against them, especially for a rock band. Look at 90% of the bands from the 80s that are still around. Take V*nce Ne*l, this guy is a joke. He’s trying to keep the hard-partying image alive but is starting to come off more like your creepy and annoying alcoholic neighbor that doesn’t know when he’s overstayed his welcome.

The kind of raw music that put the old GNR on the map is the kind of music you can really only get away with writing when you’re a certain age. UYI wasn’t the same as AFD; it was more refined, more evolved. That’s natural, that’s REAL. That’s what SHOULD happen when you’re writing from the heart and not from the wallet. The fact is the old band grew apart, tastes and outlooks changed too much for some and not enough for others. That’s not a knock on anyone, it happens, that’s reality. You don’t have to choose sides; the only person you’re limiting is yourself, Axl isn’t going to get upset if you want Slash to pick you up for ice-cream on the weekends. In fact, if you really want to broaden your tastes you should listen to everything you can get your hands on; don’t stick to certain people or a certain style. If you like the old GNR that’s great, if you’re more partial to the new stuff, well I couldn’t be happier, and if you like what the ex-members are doing today that’s fine too. Would you rather have all the same people together if their hearts aren’t in it? Maybe an ex-member or two will make a guest appearance every now and then, maybe they’ll even show up on an album track or two, I guess we’ll have to wait and see but no matter what happens I wouldn’t count on an AFD 2 any more than I’d count on your folks getting back together.

Yesterday was great but yesterday is gone, you’ve gotta give today a chance if you ever want to be able to fully enjoy tomorrow and this band is TOMORROW.

Edited by damnesiac

I thought everyone had moved past this a long time ago. Now, seemingly because of a post dreamed up by a bored fan, people are starting this up all over again.

Some people seem to wish it was 1988 again so much it’s distracting them from fully enjoying what is happening right now.

It’s NEVER going to be the way it was again, EVER. That time has past, get over it. Even if the ‘classic’ lineup (whatever you consider that to be) were reformed, they are not the same people they were back then. The music wouldn’t be the same, it SHOULDN’T be the same. How much have YOU changed during the last 20 years? I admit there is something nice, something comforting, in seeing a band you grew up with all standing on the same stage again, it just ‘looks’ right. Like a kids’ divorced parents suddenly getting back together again, but the bottom line is even if it looks the same it can never be the way it was, too many years have gone by, too many new differences in ideas, in basic musical tastes.

Take Pink Floyd, for any fan out there that saw them together again at G8 it was akin to seeing God but as much as everyone wanted it to be like the old days it just wasn’t the same. Besides the obvious silver hair and sagging skin there was still this underlying tension, you could see it in David Gilmour’s face and in his body language. Roger Waters seemed genuinely thrilled to be there but it was painfully obvious that even though these guys were all standing together there was still a rift between them; a ‘Wall’. If you were there you’ll always have the self-satisfaction of knowing you saw something that hadn’t been seen in a very long time but that’s really about all there is. They sounded really good but not ‘amazing’, it wasn’t the best performance of their lives. Hell, it wasn’t even in the top-twenty. That’s a really hard thing for me to admit because I am, and have always been, a huge fan, but it’s the truth.

Every great band hits their creative peak together at some point. After it happens they can spend the rest of their lives trying to recapture it but the odds are stacked against them, especially for a rock band. Look at 90% of the bands from the 80s that are still around. Take V*nce Ne*l, this guy is a joke. He’s trying to keep the hard-partying image alive but is starting to come off more like your creepy and annoying alcoholic neighbor that doesn’t know when he’s overstayed his welcome.

The kind of raw music that put the old GNR on the map is the kind of music you can really only get away with writing when you’re a certain age. UYI wasn’t the same as AFD; it was more refined, more evolved. That’s natural, that’s REAL. That’s what SHOULD happen when you’re writing from the heart and not from the wallet. The fact is old band grew apart, tastes and outlooks changed too much for some and not enough for others. That’s not a knock on anyone, it happens, that’s reality. You don’t have to choose sides; the only person you’re limiting is yourself, Axl isn’t going to get upset if you want Slash to pick you up for ice-cream on the weekends. In fact, if you really want to broaden your tastes you should listen to everything you can get your hands on; don’t stick to certain people or a certain style. If you like the old GNR that’s great, if you’re more partial to the new stuff, well I couldn’t be happier, and if you like what the ex-members are doing today that’s fine too. Would you rather have all the same people together if their hearts aren’t in it? Maybe an ex-member or two will make a guest appearance every now and then, maybe they’ll even show up on an album track or two, I guess we’ll have to wait and see but no matter what happens I wouldn’t count on an AFD 2 any more than I’d count on your folks getting back together.

Yesterday was great but yesterday is gone, you’ve gotta give today a chance if you ever want to be able to fully enjoy tomorrow and this band is TOMORROW.

WTF? I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I think you're wrong about Pink Floyd. Given their age and the amount of time they'd been apart, that was the best live music I think I've ever heard. And I wasn't even there to see it (I'm merely talking about watching the Live 8 DVD). They were absolutely incredible, ESPECIALLY Gilmour. His guitar-playing was unbelievable (out of this world in my opinion) and his vocals still kick ass even being such an old guy. Particularly on "Comfortably Numb," Gilmour and co. kicked total ass. Best live song I've ever heard. He nailed the solos and the passion he displayed was incredible.

I thought the G8 Floyd reunion was stunning and all seemed in good spirit to me. But different strokes for different folks I guess ;-)

I do understand some of your points regarding Izzy and guns though. I would like to see him involved to the fullest amount possible without taking away from the current band. I think in the capacity of songwriter he might have a lot to offer and that seems a space he could be satisfied with and be a stable part of that process. Getting him back in the grind of touring or replacing any current member with him is going to be asking for trouble I think....but what do I know?

*Still, Pigs can fly!

SHINE ON!

Edited by mcalldp

I need more mod options for this board please..

thank you :shades:

:rofl-lol:

Yes grant this man some more options. Even if he is canadian.

dude don't you know that this board is Canadian made ;)

I thought people in Quebec didn't wanna be part of Canada?

And yes I did know that :blink:

Canadians are good at making beer and gnr boards! :D

I thought people in Quebec didn't wanna be part of Canada?

And yes I did know that :blink:

Canadians are good at making beer and gnr boards! :D

oh sorry then you're on a Quebec Made board then lol

and I've yet to EVER hear anyone say aboot! :tongue2:

Guest RonMexico82

Don't you just hate people that think they can predict the future? NOBODY HERE KNOWS WHAT THIS BAND IS CAPABLE OF DOING!!! By that I mean Slash, Izzy Duff & Axl in particular. The only certainty is their unpredictability. Everything else is speculative horseshit and remember money talks and shit walks.

It’s NEVER going to be the way it was again, EVER. That time has past, get over it.

Are you directing this at Axl? Sounds like it should be directed towards him instead of various members of this forum.

what really bothers me is that when I bring upp anyone of the old guys, people go: "omg, learn to like the new guys"

I mean, d'you know who I am fuckhead?

You're misunderstanding me Georgie, that's not what I'm saying at all. :)

All I am saying is it's hard to give this band a fair shake if you're always wishing they're something they're not. Don't get me wrong, I like Izzy lika brotha but how would anyone know if someone else in the current line-up can or can't bring those same types of skills to the table if they're discounted before they've even had a chance to prove themselves, know what I mean Boris?

I also think 'some' people like the *idea* of Izzy more than they really like him as an artist. They'd like to see him in the band for the wrong reasons, simply because he was part of that 'magic' line-up. Yes yes yes, I'm sure you're not one of *those* people, you've got a JuJu Hounds album and bla-d-be-bla but you know as well as I do that there are people that read this forum that haven't had as much musical exposure as you. Personally, I would rather listen to the new stuff and decide for myself how I feel about it before I start talking about changes.

If I'm to be completely honest with you the main reason I commented on this is because I'm a selfish SOB. I read this board purely for the entertainment factor and the same tired speculations get BOR-ING. Where is the creativity? Where's fun? You've gotta admit, things get stale around here.

Anyway, no disrespect intended homeboy. You're aces Alice.

Oh, and of COURSE I know who you are! You're 'Chis_Axl'...right? ;)

I'm humbled.

regards,

nobody special