cleaning up my computer.

Gnfnrhead

My computer is jam packed atm and im running out of memory fast. i have loads on my computer and i want to know if their is anything better i should have in place of it, if someone wouldent mind helping me out.

Security: Norton. Im using it for 2007 since i paid for it, but after that, should i stick or change?

P2P: I have bearshare pro and limewire pro. anything better?

Browser: Maxthon and IE. i hate firefox, xo any other recomendations?

Torrents: I have BitLord but it doesnt work on dime so i also have utorrent. but BitLord is faster imo. is their a mixture?

A few doubles:

WinAVI video converter

or

ConvertXToDVD

or

Other

DVD Decrypter

or

DVDFab Decrypter

or

DVD43

or

Other

Cheetah DVD Burner

or

Roxio

or

Nero

or

Other

Any help would be appriciated.

Get rid of Limewire etc. Download DC++. More reliable, less viruses and better search results. You just gotta learn how to use it, but it's pretty easy. (PM me if you need help.)

Security - Norton sucks and totally hogs up your system memory. Get AVG Anti-Virus instead. Uses a lot less memory and is better.

DVD tools - all you need is DVD Decrypter and Xilisoft Video Converter. After you're done ripping .VOB files to your hard drive, use DVDx to convert them to MPEG files. (DVDx is a free tool available by searching for it on Google.) After you convert them, remember to delete the VOB files because they can take up to 10 GB on your hard drive before conversion.

Use your computer's "clean-up" utilities to free space. Delete any music/video/programs you rarely use. Go to add/remove programs under the control panel and view by least used. Whichever programs come up that aren't vital to you/your PC and are rarely (or never) used, delete them.

Then defragment your hard drive.

Edited by Estranged Reality

ok ive download all the security recomended except NOD 32. ive come to the conclusion that norton is a load of shit. i had 207 virus' etc, but norton said i was clean.

ive downloaded bitcommet and its working great.

ive downloaded xilisoft video converter but not DVDx yet. i will tho.

ive also downloaded DC++ and havent figured it out yet. ill give it another go before i ask for help. i kept limewire just in case.

ive cleared up over 3GB from just applications, i have loads of music etc that i havent burned yet so that'll give me more.

tanx for your help guys.

w*rez boards > p2p networks ;)

Amen to that! :xmasssanta: - torrents too (although that is a different type of p2p network to one your referring to)

Yes, Norton is shit. NOD32 is great (edit: as JDRM said, I can help you out with that).

If it's in such a mess and if you can, I'd reformat and install from scratch.

I'd use Windows Defender to get rid of spyware (I think there's a better application out there but I can't remember what it's caused). Download CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) to clean junk of your system and repair registry issues.

Use Firefox or Opera instead of IE too.

Edited by LCG

w*rez boards > p2p networks ;)

Amen to that! :xmasssanta: - torrents too (although that is a different type of p2p network to one your referring to)

Yes, Norton is shit. NOD32 is great (edit: as JDRM said, I can help you out with that).

If it's in such a mess and if you can, I'd reformat and install from scratch.

I'd use Windows Defender to get rid of spyware (I think there's a better application out there but I can't remember what it's caused). Download CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) to clean junk of your system and repair registry issues.

Use Firefox or Opera instead of IE too.

i used the CCleaner and my internet stoped working, i had to delete and restore to two days ago.

im going to give Opera a go next and what w*rez boards. i googled and got nothing.

Okay, tools you need to use, and the only tools you need to use:

CCleaner

Tuneup Utilities 2007

NOD32 (forget anything else)

DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

PowerDVD.

Diskeeper 2007.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy.

P2P...forget Bearshare. I use Limewire and thats decent. You're a bit silly if you download a virus from that. Also use IRC on occasion for big stuff as well as ABC Bitorrent Client for torrents.

Get rid of any firewall software on your PC, the Windows one will seriously do you fine, unless you have a router with NAT, in which case turn all software firewalls off since the router does it for you.

If you run that lot, you are sorted for performance. Trust me.

Okay, tools you need to use, and the only tools you need to use:

CCleaner

Tuneup Utilities 2007

NOD32 (forget anything else)

DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

PowerDVD.

Diskeeper 2007.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy.

P2P...forget Bearshare. I use Limewire and thats decent. You're a bit silly if you download a virus from that. Also use IRC on occasion for big stuff as well as ABC Bitorrent Client for torrents.

Get rid of any firewall software on your PC, the Windows one will seriously do you fine, unless you have a router with NAT, in which case turn all software firewalls off since the router does it for you.

If you run that lot, you are sorted for performance. Trust me.

some good programs there, i got a few of them and can already see the difference on my laptop