Why do people turn on the old members like Bucket and Brain?

someguyintheelevator

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fan friendly or a dork? Seriously, was Slash ever fan friendly? The man was a drunk and we loved it. When bucket shows up somewhere, he has presence to say the least (albeit because of a chicken bucket on his head)...but Ron and the rest of them have no such presence...which is why they are always re-inventing their looks...

Slash was weird and strange, so was bucket

Ron is a nice guy, but who cares...I don't want a GNR lead guitarsit to email me back his vacation photos, I want a GNR lead guitarist to do this...

This is one of my favourite posts ever lol i agree with what you said and the link at the end just put the icing on the cake :)

Comparing Ron and Bucket

1. Both rip it up on guitar

2. neither add much to the visual aspect of the show, though Buckets nunchucks were pretty cool

3. Ron is more accessible to the fans.

So, I'd call it a draw... I'd choose Bucket if I had to, because I've heard some stuff that he wrote with the band, but Ron may have a part or two on the album, so we'll see.

Ever since Brain hasn't performed this whole band seemed to have lost a lot of meaning to it. This guy Frank Ferrer is alright, but let's face it the guy is nothing special and his skills are limited as well as the fact that his style does not suit this band...he 's just another average old school style drummer. Brain has something, he has a groovy style of his own, he has skills that reach out very far, his capabilities really go far, and his style is the perfect and the only reasonable drumming sound and style for this band.

Edited by Son Of A Gun

Ever since Brain hasn't performed this whole band seemed to have lost a lot of meaning to it. This guy Frank Ferrer is alright, but let's face it the guy is nothing special and his skills are limited as well as the fact that his style does not suit this band...he 's just another average old school style drummer. Brain has something, he has a groovy style of his own, he has skills that reach out very far, his capabilities really go far, and his style is the perfect and the only reasonable drumming sound and style for this band.

I saw them friday, they were great, I dont have any idea what you are saying right now. Sure, Brain was a tad better than Ferrer, but you are spitting hairs here. For the love of god, just enjoy the band and stop looking for SOMETHING to pick on.

Just breathe....its okay....you can relax.

Lets just make fun of some other band now. Kthanx!

p.s. what is next, the curtains are not fresh enough?

Edited by Gunzen

Is Brain officially out of the band? I just thought he wanted to sit out the "We need your Money to Finish Chinese Democracy Tour" so he could spend time with his family. Frank is just another downgrade to this band like Ron. I just hope Axl doesn't erase Brains and Buckets work on Chinese Democracy.

Is Brain officially out of the band? I just thought he wanted to sit out the "We need your Money to Finish Chinese Democracy Tour" so he could spend time with his family. Frank is just another downgrade to this band like Ron. I just hope Axl doesn't erase Brains and Buckets work on Chinese Democracy.

No, Brain isn't officially out of the band

But I reluctantly agree with the rest of what you said

I just hope you take a long walk on a short pier. Band is fine, Ron kicks ass I was there, I saw it, the crowd ate him up, he had the best solo of the three in NR, and he had the hammer in WTTJ, stop the shit. He has a solid place in this band, Izzy is a nice change of pace and cool story, but Ron is here to stay, confront it, and live with it.

Or just keep writing little bitch post -it notes on the forum. <--more likely. ;)

Edited by Gunzen

I just hope you take a long walk on a short pier. Band is fine, Ron kicks ass I was there, I saw it, the crowd ate him up, he had the best solo of the three in NR, and he had the hammer in WTTJ, stop the shit. He has a solid place in this band, Izzy is a nice change of pace and cool story, but Ron is here to stay, confront it, and live with it.

Or just keep writing little bitch post -it notes on the forum. <--more likely. ;)

I agree with most of this Gunzem, however I have a strong feeling that Bumblefoot will not be in the band next Summer. I do hope this feeling is nothing more than just that.

I hated when Bucket was in the band - just a travelling circus act is all it made GNR into. Robin's old look was idiotic as well, and his new look is much more fitting. Now, I also have to admit that it is scarey when a guy can change his look that much - obviously he is/was a little confused somewhere along the line - your average person would never guess that was the same guy. As mentioned Bucket can play well, but he is a complete moron and looks even worse. I think I could even handle the bucket on his head, but wearing a damn facemask on stage all the time - get real, the guy was out to lunch trying to create a legendary image for himself. Ya, the bucket thing is sooooo cool, gimmie a break - who can take that seriously. The only reason someone would do that kind of crap is for attention - a real musician will just play and let that do the talking. Bumblfoot - I could care less if he comes or goes, just another filler like most of the band. However, the band is more of a band then they have ever been and have gelled quite well. Bumble is really the only one who doesn't "fit" IMO. Slash is slash - I don't think for a second he is/was weird - he has always been who he is and has never changed.

As for reinventing the song - I don't care for it. I like a song to be recognizable at least, not just someone again trying to make a name for themself going off on a tangent during a classic tune, which was the only reason he joined the band in the first place. He was hoping to become a household name off of GNR - damn shame it didn't work and he had to crawl back in his hole. For those outside of GNR fans that ever even heard or saw him (MTV), they would probably just say "oh ya, that freak that was in GNR for a short time". Nobody really knew or cared what he was up to before, nor do they now. GNR is in good shape these days and much more fitting to the name - as close as they can be without the original lineup in place anyways.

do you have any fucking clue what you are talking about? axl begged bucket many times to join before he actually agreed--gnr just wasn't his kind of thing. axl then invited him to a christmas party, gave him a rare leatherface doll, bucket took this as a sign, and joined. that does not sound like someone who wants to make a household name for himself. the guy is the most modest, down to earth human being you could ever meet, and the guy is a genius when it comes to guitar. please do some research to figure out why he dons the bucket, but i know you are too much of an ignorant asshole to do that, so i'll tell you. he wants the music to speak for itself. he would rather have the liberty to walk down the street to pick up a quart of milk, without being hassled by anyone. in other words, to be normal. he created his bucket image to get out the music, while actually creating quite a few cool ideas for albums. and again, bucket had been around for nearly 10 years before he joined gnr. he didn't need to make a name for himself, he was already well respected in the guitar wielding community. i dont know what else to say. do some research before you speak from now on.

In response to Gunzen...with just one change of a drummer this band has totally changed so much that honestly I couldn't enjoy seeing them live. They sound horrible like some 80s fast paced glam metal band. With Brain it was something really new and groovy.

I have no idea what you are sying right now. :question:

I saw the band in 2002 with Bucket and they were way better. Axl's better now, but the band was better in 2002. I just saw the band last week in Everett and I thought Ron and Frank were a definite downgrade. I'm sure the album will be killer as I love the leaks, but I hate Bumblefoots playing on the leaks live. I can live with the live downgrade to GnR, but I don't have to pretend to like it.

I agree with most of this Gunzem, however I have a strong feeling that Bumblefoot will not be in the band next Summer. I do hope this feeling is nothing more than just that.

I like to try to base my posts on facts. And I was there friday, and I swear to you guys Bubble stole it. I know I am gonna get some "who gives a shit about your kid" posts, but my thirteen year old son was constantly point at bumble and saying "look, there goes bumble" etc. It was almost like when a footbal team tries to get a RB into the game and just starts out by ramming him down your throat. Bumble had the main solo in WWTJ and he nailed it, and it seemed from then on Axl kept going back to him time and time again.

You may be right, he may be gone, I wont pretend to know anything (as others often do), I am just basing it on my perception of the show, compared to the Sept 20 show in SF.

Maybe they are showcasing him for a trade, heh ;)

I saw the band in 2002 with Bucket and they were way better. Axl's better now, but the band was better in 2002. I just saw the band last week in Everett and I thought Ron and Frank were a definite downgrade. I'm sure the album will be killer as I love the leaks, but I hate Bumblefoots playing on the leaks live. I can live with the live downgrade to GnR, but I don't have to pretend to like it.

fair enough dude, that is your opinion. I dont see how Buckethead and nunchucks and lock dancing is better than Bumble, but that is just me. The locking was a joke.

"Theres no lock dancing in rock n roll" rock1

Dude if you saw the band in 2002 you would know that Bucket owns Bumblefoot. I hope to hell Bumblefoot has been replaced by the time the real Chinese Democracy Tour starts. I don't give a shit about Buckets dancing or Nunchucks display. It's all about the sound coming out of the guitar for me, and I hate the non melodic shredding and tapping that comes from Ron's guitar.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Dude if you saw the band in 2002 you would know that Bucket owns Bumblefoot. I hope to hell Bumblefoot has been replaced by the time the real Chinese Democracy Tour starts.

why did bucket learn to break dance and "rock the cradle" with his yo-yo too? :P

by the way, which show did you see them at on this tour?

I saw them opening night at The Hammerstein and last Sunday in Everett. 2002 I tried to see them in Vancouver and ended up seeing them the next night in Tacoma.

well, at least you got to see them. Bucket or Bumble, they are still a helluva show.

Frank is just another downgrade to this band like Ron.

i call BULLSHIT on both of you....(well, i agree that bbf is a serious downgrade, and i hope rumors of his exit are true. buckethead was also a downgrade to me though....)

frank ferrer is a total badass. i may or may not be the only person on this forum who knew who he was the second i saw his name on the roster.....

now, i'm a drummer, and that doesn't make my opinion any better than yours, but it is from this vantage point that i speak:

brain plays everything right on top of the beat (boringly, i might add), and does the same shit the same way no matter what rock band he is in. the man is a hip hop session GOD, but that means fuck all for gnr. he plays like he spent time in music school or something...he's got that "i'm in college" funk feel happening, and it's tacky......i've never really cared for his drumming. he's good, no doubt, but still......

frank ferrer is a fucking fatback rock n roll drummer. he's the best they've had since adler. brain would probably best him at soloing, but ferrer owns him on beat and feel, as well as stage presence, which is where it counts. ferrer got his wings playing in the NYC underground in the 80s, and that is a school of hard knocks few make it out of.....much different than being a session guy in LA like brain has......brain is more suited to something like primus or 311 than an actual rock band.