The band is more Rock-Bluesy now (it's better!)

rockstar81

I think the band sounds more bluesy and are more a Rock band than what they were in 2002. Now, they make guitar covers from Jimmy Hendrix (little wing), some blues jam etc... while in 2002 they sounded (and looked) more "Metal" wich sucked.

- Buckethead + Goth Finck gave a "metal" aspect to the band. It was not Guns N' Roses. Richard Fortus was the only Rock n' Roll guy on guitar.

- Robin has completely changed, he sounds more bluesy and he is more confortable. He is more him than what he was in 2002. Richard Fortus is still the same Rock n' Roll guy.

- Bumblefoot, although a shredder, is more of a Rock shredder than a Metal/Fusion/weirdo one like Buckethead. He is not scary and isn't a freak. Sometimes he can also sounds bluesy when he wants. He is good when he doesn't shred like a pig. He is better when he slows down, he sounds much better.

- Axl is 10 times better now. He is Axl the Rockstar again. The good old Axl. He is him again.

I have the feeling they are more "Rock" now.

Edited by rockstar81

I think the band sounds more bluesy and are more a Rock band than what they were in 2002. Now, they make guitar covers from Jimmy Hendrix (little wing), some blues jam etc... while in 2002 they sounded (and looked) more "Metal" wich sucked.

- Buckethead + Goth Finck gave a "metal" aspect to the band. It was not Guns N' Roses. Richard Fortus was the only Rock n' Roll guy on guitar.

- Robin has completely changed, he sounds more bluesy and he is more confortable. He is more him than what he was in 2002. Richard Fortus is still the same Rock n' Roll guy.

- Bumblefoot, although a shredder, is more of a Rock shredder than a Mattal/weirdo one like Buckethead. He is not scary and isn't a freak. Sometimes he can also sounds bluesy when he wants. He is good when he doesn't shred like a pig. He is better when he slows down, he sounds much better.

- Axl is 10 times better now. He is Axl the Rockstar again. The good old Axl. He is him again.

what is all this "he is him" crap? how many years was finck in nine inch nails? he was one crazy asshole in that band, and he dressed that way because well. that's how he dressed. not because "he wasn't him".

are you scared of buckethead? and how does putting a kfc bucket on your head make you "more metal"? let alone being goth?

sorry but your whole post is idiotic. i am too annoyed to criticise anymore of it.

Edited by bucketfan27

- Bumblefoot, although a shredder, is more of a Rock shredder than a Mattal/weirdo one like Buckethead. He is not scary and isn't a freak. Sometimes he can also sounds bluesy when he wants. He is good when he doesn't shred like a pig. He is better when he slows down, he sounds much better.

what is all this "he is him" crap? how many years was finck in nine inch nails? he was one crazy asshole in that band, and he dressed that way because well. that's how he dressed. not because "he wasn't him".

are you scared of buckethead? and how does putting a kfc bucket on your head make you "more metal"? let alone being goth?

sorry but your whole post is idiotic. i am too annoyed to criticise anymore of it.

Like your reply to it.

they were kinda shitty in 2002 but i didn't see them as metal they were like industrial but now they completely kick ass rock1 rock1

did you see them perform in 2002? so when you saw buckethead, axl dressed in sports jerseys, tommy in plaid suits, brain in flannel and finck in a spaceman outfit, you thought "boy, like, this is industrial"?

did you see them perform in 2002? so when you saw buckethead, axl dressed in sports jerseys, tommy in plaid suits, brain in flannel and finck in a spaceman outfit, you thought "boy, like, this is industrial"?
i was meaning the songs like silkworms and rhiad and the bedouins you can't tell me those weren't industrial

they were kinda shitty in 2002 but i didn't see them as metal they were like industrial but now they completely kick ass rock1 rock1

i thought "boy, this looks like a circus band". They are much better in 2006

Edited by RnFR

i was meaning the songs like silkworms and rhiad and the bedouins you can't tell me those weren't industrial

silkworms was created by Chris Pittman and Dizzy Reed who (shock!) are still in the band. they already said the song was scrapped and ironically, they still have the option of playing Rhiad (according to the Del James set list), so quite frankly, your argument is worthless. Dizzy Reed and Chris Pittman were the industrial influence. you rag on them then, you rag on them now.

he looked like a fag in 2002, it's simple, trying way to hard for attention goths!, give up the ghost, i can relate to robin these days, which is a good thing, i think the gnr fans have taken to robin in 06! i think he's more him self these days too!. he only knows for sure.

and i pray that axl and the band have taken a more rockNroll direction then metal, bukethead was the biggest mistake in gnr history!, well thats my opinion!, gnr was a running joke because of it, they were not bad or cool!.

gnr is alot better in 06, and everyone knows it.

Edited by aussie_axl

silkworms was created by Chris Pittman and Dizzy Reed who (shock!) are still in the band. they already said the song was scrapped and ironically, they still have the option of playing Rhiad (according to the Del James set list), so quite frankly, your argument is worthless. Dizzy Reed and Chris Pittman were the industrial influence. you rag on them then, you rag on them now.

shame on me i feel so bad right now :no::(

I don't post here often, but I scan through almost daily. Thought I'd weigh in on '06 vs. '02:

I too saw them on both tours ('02 at the Fleet Center in Boston, and '06 at the Warfield in San Francisco). I liked what I heard both years, but to me the main difference has less to do with what any individual member was playing and more to do with how the band members have been interacting with each other. Granted, Buckethead's schtick was a bit of a distraction, and his playing was 'avant garde' compared to other GNR guitarists, but I think he did the best he could to make his style fit with what the band was playing. I got the distinct impression in '06, which I didn't get so strongly in '02, that the guys in the band now are really comfortable with each other and genuinely enjoy playing together. It showed in the way they would sometimes lean against each other, or smile, or just the in-between-song noodling that was going on. The noodling itself was tight! Maybe that comfort level is coming through as a 'bluesier' rock sound because, since these guys know each other better now than they did in '02, this is allowing the band to sound more like Guns N' Roses (which has always been a heavy, bluesy kind of rock). I was just knocked out at how together the band is now, much moreso than Axl's vocals. I think I was hearing Axl much better at the '02 show in Boston. But the band... I'm totally sold on 'em.

I don't post here often, but I scan through almost daily. Thought I'd weigh in on '06 vs. '02:

I too saw them on both tours ('02 at the Fleet Center in Boston, and '06 at the Warfield in San Francisco). I liked what I heard both years, but to me the main difference has less to do with what any individual member was playing and more to do with how the band members have been interacting with each other. Granted, Buckethead's schtick was a bit of a distraction, and his playing was 'avant garde' compared to other GNR guitarists, but I think he did the best he could to make his style fit with what the band was playing. I got the distinct impression in '06, which I didn't get so strongly in '02, that the guys in the band now are really comfortable with each other and genuinely enjoy playing together. It showed in the way they would sometimes lean against each other, or smile, or just the in-between-song noodling that was going on. The noodling itself was tight! Maybe that comfort level is coming through as a 'bluesier' rock sound because, since these guys know each other better now than they did in '02, this is allowing the band to sound more like Guns N' Roses (which has always been a heavy, bluesy kind of rock). I was just knocked out at how together the band is now, much moreso than Axl's vocals. I think I was hearing Axl much better at the '02 show in Boston. But the band... I'm totally sold on 'em.

i may not totally agree with you. but i really respect your opinion, since you are about the only other person in this thread who has seen both versions of this band. thanks for the post. :-)

he looked like a fag in 2002, it's simple, trying way to hard for attention goths!, give up the ghost, i can relate to robin these days, which is a good thing, i think the gnr fans have taken to robin in 06! i think he's more him self these days too!. he only knows for sure.

and i pray that axl and the band have taken a more rockNroll direction then metal, bukethead was the biggest mistake in gnr history!, well thats my opinion!, gnr was a running joke because of it, they were not bad or cool!.

gnr is alot better in 06, and everyone knows it.

word, well put, bucket, while talented, is a cartoon character, they are a real band now.

I saw both versions. Once in Vegas for their warm up before Rio and last night at Universal. I liked this band. I'm not sold on Fortus. I just don't like his stage mannerisms. I don't know if they need that many guitarists all walking around the stage doing their "Rock Star" poses (especially Fortus). But I was struck when they just started jamming during the piano set up. They were doing this bluesy, rock, groove, music and they seemed to just put all that posing on hold and just play TOGETHER. It really struck me that they were intuned with one another in those jamming moments. It felt like I snuck into rehearsals and they were just exploring a groove and even Axl joined in with the maracas.

I saw both versions. Once in Vegas for their warm up before Rio and last night at Universal. I liked this band. I'm not sold on Fortus. I just don't like his stage mannerisms. I don't know if they need that many guitarists all walking around the stage doing their "Rock Star" poses (especially Fortus). But I was struck when they just started jamming during the piano set up. They were doing this bluesy, rock, groove, music and they seemed to just put all that posing on hold and just play TOGETHER. It really struck me that they were intuned with one another in those jamming moments. It felt like I snuck into rehearsals and they were just exploring a groove and even Axl joined in with the maracas.

I think every band needs a guy like fortus, not necessarily at that instrument, but a guy with energy like that. I think people who dont like fortus are just in to Izzys stoic style. Gilby Clarks was also a bit calmer. But they could be cause then Axl was twice as active as he is now. The reason Axl looks good still is because Fortus takes some of the pressure off him. It is a different style, and the bottom like is to me they are like a pieces in a puzzle that seem to fit well.

I just think we should let this thing fly and see where it lands. I am not of the belief that we need any of the originals at this point. I saw them Friday night, and I want them to be just like that until this album pops and they tour. If it all goes to hell, then I am going down with them. Fortus is a necessary cog in this wheel that is gaining momentum, no broomhandles please. rock1

I think every band needs a guy like fortus, not necessarily at that instrument, but a guy with energy like that. I think people who dont like fortus are just in to Izzys stoic style. Gilby Clarks was also a bit calmer. But they could be cause then Axl was twice as active as he is now. The reason Axl looks good still is because Fortus takes some of the pressure off him. It is a different style, and the bottom like is to me they are like a pieces in a puzzle that seem to fit well.

I just think we should let this thing fly and see where it lands. I am not of the belief that we need any of the originals at this point. I saw them Friday night, and I want them to be just like that until this album pops and they tour. If it all goes to hell, then I am going down with them. Fortus is a necessary cog in this wheel that is gaining momentum, no broomhandles please. rock1

i've always liked Fortus, even in 2002 i was a fan, it was only because of him and axe man i liked the band at that point! oh and dizzy!, 2006 just has the right feel to it, well should i say march 2007, don't fuck it up boys lol.

Guns N' Roses are not blues. BB King is blues, Albert King is blues, SRV is blues... Robin Finck is NOT a blues guitar player. Slash isn't even a blues player, he's a hard rock player with a smattering of blues.

Do you people even know what proper blues music is?

Come back to the real world please and stop trying to project your fantasies onto the band. The musicians in GnR are a fusion of many styles and they create their own unique style. This is good people, this is what music is all about... creating something new and expressing yourself, not living up to some boring old stereotype.

Guns N' Roses are not blues. BB King is blues, Albert King is blues, SRV is blues... Robin Finck is NOT a blues guitar player. Slash isn't even a blues player, he's a hard rock player with a smattering of blues.

Come back to the real world please and stop trying to project your fantasies onto the band. The musicians in GnR are a fusion of many styles and they create their own unique style. This is good people, this is what music is all about... creating something new and expressing yourself, not living up to some boring old stereotype.

Jesus Christ, Noone ever said GnR was a blues band? They said that the guitar work as a blues influence and it comes through in the music, and if you honostly can't hear that in either of the illusions albums, well then i dunno what to tell you...listen again.

Edited by drtydane

Jesus Christ, Noone ever said GnR was a blues band? They said that the guitar work as a blues influence and it comes through in the music, and if you honostly can't hear that in either of the illusions albums, well then i dunno what to tell you...listen again.

Of course Slash and old GnR have a blues influence, that's why I said Slash has a "smattering of blues" but people make out he's like some world leading blues player. This is not true, he's a much metal as he is blues but a his core he's hard rock. Same for Finck, JUST BECAUSE HE DOESN'T SHRED, DOESN'T MEAN HE'S "bluesy"! Hell, Bucket plays blues MILES better than Finck, and by that I mean proper blues.

See what I'm getting at now?

Edited by PurpleHaze

You are right on some aspects. They had the industrial fuckup look, in mix with emo indie crap a period in 2002. Now the have a little more respectable look and image. Finck is much better, even though I am not very fond of him. Axl looks better, Fortus i dunno, Stinson still looks like a weirdo, Frank looks fine, Ron i ok, Brain was ok, Reed looks like he allways has. Pitman i dunno, kick him out of the band, he is not needed as I see it.