pearl jam appreciation thread

vulgar

i never given them a shot (heard Ten, REALLY liked it) but i will. just find it funny how some people can give Pearl Jam their dues without mentioning Nirvana in the same breath. like Pearl Jams standing in relation to Nirvana has got something to do with their talent as a band.

Why should Nirvana be mentioned in the same breath (and I love them too)? They broke within a few months of each other, and while being part of the same general scene probably sped up the process for them, they don't owe their success to it.

They were a classic American rock band with a marketable sound and a photogenic singer. And they were that fairly rare combination of commercial and respectable. With or without the success of Nevermind, they would have done just fine.

im not saying they should i just find they regularly are. i actually misspelt my original post, what i mean was...theres one response here and i find this quite regularly that people, in commending Pearl Jam feel this need to do so at the expense of Nirvana, as in "they're much better than Nirvana" and i was just wondering why that was and if in fact they are better than Nirvana (which i cant say cuz i've only heard the one Pearl Jam album) whats with this weird thing that Pearl Jam fans have that they need to comment/mention Pearl Jam in relation to their standing to Nirvana? i understand, there was this almost-rivalry thing going on insofar as they were both bands that broke really big at roughly the same time but...that time was quite a while ago, surely (and i dont know) Pearl Jam released enough matierial this many years later for people to be able to commend them on the basis of their output alone which many do but im refering to the few who dont, instead opting to use a pearl jam appreciation thread or conversation or whatever as an appropriate channel to convey their disgust at Nirvana. i never said anything vaguely close to them owing anything to nirvana, if you read back my first post in the first sentence where i say can, exchange that for a cant :)

Edited by ffrankwhite

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i never given them a shot (heard Ten, REALLY liked it) but i will. just find it funny how some people can give Pearl Jam their dues without mentioning Nirvana in the same breath. like Pearl Jams standing in relation to Nirvana has got something to do with their talent as a band.

Why should Nirvana be mentioned in the same breath (and I love them too)? They broke within a few months of each other, and while being part of the same general scene probably sped up the process for them, they don't owe their success to it.

They were a classic American rock band with a marketable sound and a photogenic singer. And they were that fairly rare combination of commercial and respectable. With or without the success of Nevermind, they would have done just fine.

im not saying they should i just find they regularly are. i actually misspelt my original post, what i mean was...theres one response here and i find this quite regularly that people, in commending Pearl Jam feel this need to do so at the expense of Nirvana, as in "they're much better than Nirvana" and i was just wondering why that was and if in fact they are better than Nirvana (which i cant say cuz i've only heard the one Pearl Jam album) whats with this weird thing that Pearl Jam fans have that they need to comment/mention Pearl Jam in relation to their standing to Nirvana?

Oh, okay. There was no real rivalry, Kurt just didn't like them and lashed out a couple of times. I think that's still a source of bitterness with some people (even though they made up).

When Nirvana were active, they were, IMO by far the better band. However, PJ's mid-nineties run (Vitalogy, No Code and Yield) puts them on pretty even ground (again, IMO).

• 4 weeks later...

my problem with pearl jam is me not them. i listen to alive and jeremy TONS (i have Ten) but never seem to manage to venture any further, its such a pig-ignorance of mine, i duuuuunnnnnoooooo) thats it, i just promised myself, i will tommorow.

Just to let anyone know who deosnt allready, Eddie Vedder is releasing a Solo album this year, the first single is kicking about the internet.

Sorry I have no link.

Check out intothewild.com and click on the media player in the right corner.

It's a sound track for the movie "Into the wild".

I so can't wait for this.

Edited by Spoon87