Bumblefoot the musician ..

LA_0013

Ok, short and sweet topic.

I've waited to the end of the tour before casting my opinion, but Bumblefoot......I'm just not a fan. Don't get me wrong, I've tried, and I know the guy is an amazing musician - but nothing he has contributed to the band in a live setting has blown me away (with the exception of Don't Cry). His presence is total overkill.

One thing this tour has certianly cemented is just how good the combo of Finck and Forus are, amazing team and super stage presence (my opinion of Finck has shot straight up after hearing him live, the 'sloppy' criticism's are seriously unwarranted when you hear the guy in front of you - he brings something pretty unique to GNR). But Bumble, ....I dunno..... hopefully he will make me eat my words when the album comes out

It's not even the fact there are 3 guitarists, it's just sometimes his playing really blows..... His playing sounds imprecise, rushed, and really OTT (at least he's good for a showboat - we've all seen his cabaret 'right hand up the neck' trick. Oh, and at least he's a nice guy). I'm not against virtuoso guitarists, far from it, but at least Bucket hit us with some memorable solos and was remotely melodic. Bumblefoot's style (so far) is just pure guitar wank........he should put less emphasis on speed and technicalities and hit us with a bloody decent tune...!!

JMO

LA

Edited by madison

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've waited to the end of the tour before casting my opinion, but Bumblefoot......I'm just not a fan. Don't get me wrong, I've tried, and I know the guy is an amazing musician - but nothing he has contributed has blown me away (with the exception of Don't Cry)and his presence on the live shows is total overkill.

One thing this tour has certianly cemented is just how good the combo of Finck and Forus are, amazing team and super stage presence (my opinion of Finck has shot straight up after hearing him live, the 'sloppy' criticism's are seriously unwarranted when you hear the guy in front of you - he brings something pretty unique to GNR). But Bumble, ....I dunno.....

Maybe Axl and Bumble will prove me wrong when the album comes out, but I doub't it.

It's not even the fact there are 3 guitarists, it's just sometimes his playing really blows..... His playing sounds imprecise, rushed, and really OTT (at least he's good for a showboat - we've all seen his cabaret 'right hand up the neck' trick. Oh, and at least he's a nice guy). I'm not against virtuoso guitarists, far from it, but at least Bucket hit us with some memorable solos and was remotely melodic. Bumble's style is just pure guitar wank........ JMO

LA

I disagree - strongly.

I think Axl's decision to bring Ron onboard was the smartest move he's made in years - both musically and from a PR perspective. I think Ron is talented and versatile as a guitarist, has good stage presence (which he didn't have when he first joined the band), and offers a great connection between the band and fans from a PR perspective. jmo.

I love Ron. Aside from being a damn amazing person, he's an awesome player (not as good as Buckethead, but still) and he's just deadly cool.

By far my favourite of the three guitarists. Axl made a wise move picking him. He's a big asset. I just wish he'd sing a bit, his solo records prove he's good at it. He already has the only entertaining solo (actually, y'know, playing GNR material during it). If he sang a bit it'd just be amazing.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

I think there's another guitarist in the band whose playing blows more. I'm glad Ron is in the band, I just think he's over-shadowed by the fact that there's two other guitarists, and he doesn't get much of an opportunity to stand out. BH stood out as much for his playing as for his gimmick, but even "remotely melodic" is not how I would describe him.

Ron came in, what 2/3 weeks before Hammerstein. He was literally thrown into the pit with guys who have already known each other and played together for several years. I think he's still trying to figure out how he fits into this whole thing, and he definitely has the talent to shine. I definitely think he has the potential.

Edited by Patience 4 Axl

I've waited to the end of the tour before casting my opinion, but Bumblefoot......I'm just not a fan. Don't get me wrong, I've tried, and I know the guy is an amazing musician - but nothing he has contributed has blown me away (with the exception of Don't Cry)and his presence on the live shows is total overkill.

One thing this tour has certianly cemented is just how good the combo of Finck and Forus are, amazing team and super stage presence (my opinion of Finck has shot straight up after hearing him live, the 'sloppy' criticism's are seriously unwarranted when you hear the guy in front of you - he brings something pretty unique to GNR). But Bumble, ....I dunno.....

Maybe Axl and Bumble will prove me wrong when the album comes out, but I doub't it.

It's not even the fact there are 3 guitarists, it's just sometimes his playing really blows..... His playing sounds imprecise, rushed, and really OTT (at least he's good for a showboat - we've all seen his cabaret 'right hand up the neck' trick. Oh, and at least he's a nice guy). I'm not against virtuoso guitarists, far from it, but at least Bucket hit us with some memorable solos and was remotely melodic. Bumble's style is just pure guitar wank........ JMO

LA

I disagree - strongly.

I think Axl's decision to bring Ron onboard was the smartest move he's made in years - both musically and from a PR perspective. I think Ron is talented and versatile as a guitarist, has good stage presence (which he didn't have when he first joined the band), and offers a great connection between the band and fans from a PR perspective. jmo.

im gonna agree 100% with you madison not because your the guy who can ban anyone but because i value that post

LA

I disagree - strongly.

Can't disagree with the PR argument - he appears to be pretty forthright with the fans which is refreshing, something we've not had in years, and I do mean years.....! But his playing, if he could just string a melody together and put less emphasis on guitar drivel for the sake of it. Take his rendition of Don't Cry - superb.

And whoever argued that Nightrain wouldn't be the same with out him... I'm sorry but on this particular song:

Buckethead '02>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bumblefoot '06

LA

My eyes & ears alone tell me that if he wasn't on stage with the band, it would hardly be noticed.

But , I do trust Axl and what he wants to do - and believe that his presence is necessary because of what is to eventually come from this album and the need for his spot to pull of some stuff live -

Who knows? Maybe he brought some amazing things to the contribution to this album or fits a certain type of mold that Axl's looking for?

Don't be so quick to judge. Remember, all he's had the chance to show anybody so far is his take on the existing released material. He can't stray too far from the beaten trail or he'll get blasted for it. Basically all he has been able to do on this tour is find a small niche to occupy and play along. The new (unheard) material is where he'll be able to really show his chops and prove what he can bring to the party. This guy may have the 'shredder' rep but in addition to being able to light-up the fretboard he's also got a real buttery and bluesy melodic vib. Exactly what this band was missing. Just wait...

LA

I disagree - strongly.

im gonna agree 100% with you madison not because your the guy who can ban anyone but because i value that post

:o

Bumble's cool, the guy rocked in Norway.

LA

I disagree - strongly.

I completly agree with Madison.

At first I wasn't a fan either. When I saw him in New York, he was new and he seems lost on stage.

Saw them 3 times after that, his stage presence his great. He has a attitude when he plays that I really like. He feels the music and you can see that his respect for the songs, the band and the fans is really important for him. It as a great move to get him in the band

Don't be so quick to judge. Remember, all he's had the chance to show anybody so far is his take on the existing released material. He can't stray too far from the beaten trail or he'll get blasted for it. Basically all he has been able to do on this tour is find a small niche to occupy and play along. The new (unheard) material is where he'll be able to really show his chops and prove what he can bring to the party. This guy may have the 'shredder' rep but in addition to being able to light-up the fretboard he's also got a real buttery and bluesy melodic vib. Exactly what this band was missing. Just wait...

Nice post. :)

LA

I disagree - strongly.

Ok... :drevil: