Bumblefoot the musician ..

LA_0013

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really liked him.

Hes a nice guy and he interacts with the fans wich is awsome, but he doesnt belong in this band. Finck and Fortus can handle themselves just fine, besides, shredding and Guns N' Roses go together like water and oil, it just doesnt work.

I hope that guns4tea guy was for real and Im inclined to think he was, Bumblefoot needs the boot.

Shredding definitely doesn't fit with Appetite GnR but GnR in its current incarnation is a whole different animal. Virtuoso guitar playing is more than fitting in songs like Better and Chinese Democracy. Not that Bucket and Thal HAVE to shred... they're capable of more than just fretboard gymnastics. If there are any more mellow or acoustic songs on CD, Thal/Bucket will hold their own let me tell you.

Hes a nice guy and he interacts with the fans wich is awsome, but he doesnt belong in this band. Finck and Fortus can handle themselves just fine, besides, shredding and Guns N' Roses go together like water and oil, it just doesnt work.

I hope that guns4tea guy was for real and Im inclined to think he was, Bumblefoot needs the boot.

agreed.

slash had his own brand of "shredding" but it was more "moan/wail" than outright shred....maybe it was just the total badass attitude that slash played with that makes it different.....or maybe it's the fact bbf is expanding on/imitating slash's licks, whereas slash was just playin' his own licks, ya know?

either way the "shredder factor" in gnr is the biggest thing that's bringin' down the new band. it ain't neccesarily bbf or bhead's fault....it's the concept that their role in the band is somehow needed.....i've said it before: they seem like penis implants to compensate for the fact slash isn't there.

fortus/finck are a fine guitar team, IMO, and there's more than enough guitar bad-assery between just the two of them.

i think if this record does well with the kids, the finck/fortus team will be a god-damned respectable pair of guitar players for the new generation of gnr fans. whether or not you'd rather have slash/izzy, finck & fortus are fucking rock n roll guitar players.

bbf and bucket are not.

I hope he will be out soon. I have enough of him. I want the Finck/Fortus combo to show their full potencial.

The People (general public) will never embrace this 3 players whole saga, however they would embrace a great combo a great DUET of guitar players like Finck/Fortus

Enough of Bumblefoot, he is not required. End of story.

Completely agreed.

BBF is a cool guy,but i think the couple Finck and Fortus are great and the band does not need any other guitarist since Bucket is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0IDmPZ9-NA

they look fantastic and do a great job.this band does not need BBF.

I like Ron. He should Stay :)

As good as Finck and Fortus are as a combo, Ron just adds another dimension to it you know? I must admit I am a big fan of technical instrumental music ala Buckethead, Bumblefoot, etc. But even if you don't enjoy that type of guitar, if he ever gets to write anything with this band he is a good songwriter and the band will benefit from that, whilst we don't really know how good Finck and Fortus are at writing.

Ron has proven over and over this tour that he can't play Buckets material. That renders him useless in my opinion. Hire somebody who can play Buckets shit or let Richard and Robin rerecord it. Please leave Buckets solo on TWAT though as it's irreplaceable.

Edited by Randy Lahey

As much as i hate to say it, i really can't get behind Bumblefoot's solo's whenever he takes lead on any songs.

It's not that it's shredding, It's that the majority of the time when he does it, it just doesn't compliment any of the songs whatsoever, even when Buckethead did it on songs like Rocket Queen/It's So Easy which never really ever needed it, it at least complimented the song and was in tune, when Ron does it on something like Nightrain or You Could Be Mine which later have had it it REALLY just doesnt fit, it's like zero thoughts gone into it making it sound well and just all the thought into making it fast.

Nice guy an' all, but i'm not into the soloing.

As much as i hate to say it, i really can't get behind Bumblefoot's solo's whenever he takes lead on any songs.

It's not that it's shredding, It's that the majority of the time when he does it, it just doesn't compliment any of the songs whatsoever, even when Buckethead did it on songs like Rocket Queen/It's So Easy which never really ever needed it, it at least complimented the song and was in tune, when Ron does it on something like Nightrain or You Could Be Mine which later have had it it REALLY just doesnt fit, it's like zero thoughts gone into it making it sound well and just all the thought into making it fast.

My thoughts exactly

(I might get Thomase to email Ron asking him to put a solo in YCBM that actually fits the song...)

LA

Edited by LA_0013

I've waited to the end of the tour before casting my opinion, but Bumblefoot......I'm just not a fan. Don't get me wrong, I've tried, and I know the guy is an amazing musician - but nothing he has contributed to the band in a live setting has blown me away (with the exception of Don't Cry). His presence is total overkill.

Totally disagreed! I loved the way he just owns the stage on the NR closing solo. I love the way he plays don't cry. And I love his parts on the new songs. I think that aside from his playing (which I like a lot) he's also one of the friendliest and most approachable characters GnR has ever seen plus he's great to his fans. I can't even begin to describe how much of an immense improvement to Buckethead he is imo. And by that I don't mean technicaly or in terms of guitar skills. But just the overall feel and picture.

One thing this tour has certianly cemented is just how good the combo of Finck and Forus are, amazing team and super stage presence (my opinion of Finck has shot straight up after hearing him live, the 'sloppy' criticism's are seriously unwarranted when you hear the guy in front of you - he brings something pretty unique to GNR). But Bumble, ....I dunno..... hopefully he will make me eat my words when the album comes out

Totally agreed! They seem now like this amazign guitar-tandem with a hell of a lot of chemistry in between them.

It's not even the fact there are 3 guitarists, it's just sometimes his playing really blows..... His playing sounds imprecise, rushed, and really OTT (at least he's good for a showboat - we've all seen his cabaret 'right hand up the neck' trick. Oh, and at least he's a nice guy). I'm not against virtuoso guitarists, far from it, but at least Bucket hit us with some memorable solos and was remotely melodic. Bumblefoot's style (so far) is just pure guitar wank........he should put less emphasis on speed and technicalities and hit us with a bloody decent tune...!!

I disagree about Ron Thal and I disagree about Chickenman's solo's even more. Thought they were absolute rubbish. To each their own I suppose my friend.

I already said I disagree with LA, so needless to say I disagree with this too. But what you said however is completely how I once felt about Finck. Ron's been playing these songs since a few months. So maybe, much like Robin and Richard he'll also start feeling them more and plossibly adding to them more as time progresses.

Nice post Username.

I see we disagree on certain things! Funny, I never started this thread to diss anyone, just stating that (thus far) I've not been too impressed with Mr Bumblefoot. But hey, like any true GNR fan I'm in this with my eyes (and ears) open.

Hopefully when the album comes out I see more to Ron than guitar gymnastics on all the old songs!.....

LA

Edited by LA_0013

I disagree - strongly.

I think Axl's decision to bring Ron onboard was the smartest move he's made in years - both musically and from a PR perspective. I think Ron is talented and versatile as a guitarist, has good stage presence (which he didn't have when he first joined the band), and offers a great connection between the band and fans from a PR perspective. jmo.

Agreed. Ron was the right guitar player at the right moment. I love his solo's,his stage presence and how he simply interact with the audience. But at this moment i'm still not sure about the complete band. This probably will change the moment i take a listen to C.D. All we heard from the band at this moment are a couple new songs and a lot of old songs wich they have "covered".

Totally disagreed! I loved the way he just owns the stage on the NR closing solo. I love the way he plays don't cry. And I love his parts on the new songs. I think that aside from his playing (which I like a lot) he's also one of the friendliest and most approachable characters GnR has ever seen plus he's great to his fans. I can't even begin to describe how much of an immense improvement to Buckethead he is imo. And by that I don't mean technicaly or in terms of guitar skills. But just the overall feel and picture. ......and I disagree about Chickenman's solo's even more. Thought they were absolute rubbish. To each their own I suppose my friend.,,

Absolutely.

I totally agree. Well said! :)

Regarding the three guitarist debate- I was listening to Welcome to the Jungle from that 1991 or 92 Chicago concert the other day and compared it to live performances of WTTJ in 2006. It is much better live now than with the original line up in my opinion. Comparing these performances, to me, prove that this new band is more technically sound and the song seems more put together. I think its been said that Appetite was recorded with 3 guitar parts anyway and that Slash played over his self in many of the songs. It's cool that this can be done the way it was meant to be played on stage with 3 guitarists. I don't see much importance for Dizzy's bongos though.

Regarding the topic- I like Ron, I've met him 3 different times and there is no question that he is a nice guy. When I watch the band live, I sometimes have a difficult time noticing if Ron's playing is standing out or not unless they give him a solo.

It sounds better and "fuller" because of the technology (we have a better technology in 2006 than in 1992), not because of the 3 players thing. If there were 2 guitar players (Finck and Fortus) the band would sound as good as now, especially with 2 keyboards.

For exemple, Oasis sound loud and full, they have a "wall of sound" live and they have 2 guitar players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVgz-zEoSrI

Do you hear how loud they sound with 2 guitars (especially at the end)?

THE BAND MUST RETURN WITH 2 GUITAR PLAYERS IN 2007, THIS IS MUCH BETTER FOR THE CHEMISTRY

JUST FORTUS AND FINCK

THAT'S WHAT EVERYBODY WANTS

Edited by rockstar81