CD - the first single. **From 06 .. I knew it would be LOL

gnfnr2006

*** 2008 EDIT - Its interesting to see everyones comments about CD from 20 months ago.... ***

Out of all the new songs, CD gets the least mention among us. But the "average" GNR fan, or, the average person who knows GNR popular songs and likes them, probably only knows the words to the songs that were on the radio, tv, etc. I think even most people who bought UYI dont know many if the lyrics, other than the obvious ones. Its really a shame too, cause Axls words are just....so powerful, to say the least.

So what I am getting at here is:

I really think CD has a good chance of being the first or second single- becuse it sounds like the GNR poeple listening to the radio and wathching MTV will remember.

The really like CD. It really has the most "origianal GNR" sound to it. Not that thats what I prefer, cause I really, really love the new stuff !!

The music(guitars, drums and even Axls voice) is what has sold the vast majority of the records, rather than the EXCELLENT lyrics Axl has given us.

The new songs have some very deep lyrics, that inspire alot of though, but thats not what has sold all the albums.

So what do you think? Where does CD stand in terms of a single?

Edited by madison

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a markerting poitn of view and it makes perfect sense. The CD is called CD what better way to promote it? Also think about the lyrics will give people a stir and make it controversial just like One in a Million.

But in a sense of quaility Better or TWAT is the best choice IMO.

The lyrics aren't controversial. They were made after watching a movie about a dolly llama (sp?)

Axl said himself, that the lyrics don't mean anything, didn't he?

Pointless lyrics. That song shouldn't even be on the CD.

??? Enlighten this noob please Jackamo. I have never heard line one or two of your post.

And Im not saying the it the best song, or my favorite, cause I prefer TWAT...Im just wondering if/how the song will be used. As I said, the song ir really the ONLY one that SOUNDS like the GNR that 90% of the millions of people who bought GNR albums will remember.

First off, the song itself improved since 2002.

Mostly, because of Pitman and the intro.

But as a single, or radio edit, the intro wouldn't work.

The song wouldn't be the same.

Chinese Democracy is a rock song.

Just because it's rock, doesn't mean it rocks.

Chinese Democracy doesn't rock, it's a weak track.

When introducing the song live, at HOB I think, he said he wrote the song after watching Kundun. The lyrics are not controversial, they don't even have much of a reason. Pointless.

I would be quite disappointed if they chose it as a single. It's below average at best.

That's great and all but that's your opinion on the song..

We haven't even heard the studio version of the song... So yeah base the entire song off of live performances..

Hell, I can do that too I could say Estranged is a weak song after hearing Axl do it at Chicago in 92 because the solo's sound sloppy and Axl's voice is raspy.

Like I said in my first post Better or TWAT would be a better single.

I can't see how anyone can say this is closest to the appatite stuff. This is clearly more of a grunge rock song more than anything. I bet this was one of the first tracks written for the album since this was the direction Duff and Axl were heading towards in the mid 1990's.

Not an overly strong track imo, took a long long long time for me to really get into it at all.

A8R

"it's not an intellegent song .It dosent have the anser to anything, But it's the Title track of the album

*crowd screams* wich God willingly we Will! finish, *crowd screams*

and its not neceraly about China, Its just that rite now China symbolizes one of the strongest yet most impresive Countrys and Goverments in the world."

OkOk That is a short important bit he says in a long speech befor the song, and yes befor this he talks about that movie for a while.

I love the song , its grown on me over the years and now the last verse's hit me, its great song but Shouldent be used as a singel imho

:)

Out of all the new songs, CD gets the least mention among us. But the "average" GNR fan, or, the average person who knows GNR popular songs and likes them, probably only knows the words to the songs that were on the radio, tv, etc. I think even most people who bought UYI dont know many if the lyrics, other than the obvious ones. Its really a shame too, cause Axls words are just....so powerful, to say the least.

So what I am getting at here is:

I really think CD has a good chance of being the first or second single- becuse it sounds like the GNR poeple listening to the radio and wathching MTV will remember.

The really like CD. It really has the most "origianal GNR" sound to it. Not that thats what I prefer, cause I really, really love the new stuff !!

The music(guitars, drums and even Axls voice) is what has sold the vast majority of the records, rather than the EXCELLENT lyrics Axl has given us.

The new songs have some very deep lyrics, that inspire alot of though, but thats not what has sold all the albums.

So what do you think? Where does CD stand in terms of a single?

I think if the album is called 'Chinese Democracy' still, I think that song would most likely be a 3rd single, mostly because they dont play it all the time, and it isnt the best out of the new songs. I still think 'Better' will end up being the first single, followed by a more mellow ballady type song, maybe TWAT or another song we havent heard yet. If the album goes strong through that, then they will probably release 'Chinese Democracy' as the 3rd single.

Thats just my thoughts. But personally, I wouldnt use 'Chinese Democracy' as the lead single, because the lead single, mostly in this new GNR has to be their absolute best song and most commercially viable, and I think 'Better' fits that bill.

They really like CD. It really has the most "original GNR" sound to it. Not that thats what I prefer, cause I really, really love the new stuff !!

I think alot of people are wrongly judging (be it in a positive way or not) "Chinese Democracy" on the live versions that they/we have heard, i don't beleive there will be the same intro on the studio version as on the live one as a kick off.

We have to look at the evidence - all we have in terms of a near-studio sound of "Chinese Democracy" is the 2002 Promo(s).

Now if the finished version of "Chinese Democracy" is anything like it is on the 2002 Promo, it will sound quite different from it's live counterpart.

Axl's voice on the promo sounded distorted and the song (allbeit judging it based on a few seconds of it) had a very industrial arrangement about it.

I think the finished version (if anything like the promo clip) will pleasantly surprise alot of people on these boards as a decent kick-ass track, i feel it has alot of potential and i'm sure it will raise a few eyebrows.

From a markerting poitn of view and it makes perfect sense. The CD is called CD what better way to promote it? Also think about the lyrics will give people a stir and make it controversial just like One in a Million.

Everyone knows that GNR's next album is called Chinese Democracy, unless you have been living ina cave you will know its name, and if you dont, your not a rock fan...

B)-->

QUOTE(mr.b @ Dec 24 2006, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone knows that GNR's next album is called Chinese Democracy, unless you have been living ina cave you will know its name, and if you dont, your not a rock fan...

That's why when you go to a Gn'R concert only a select few know the lyrics to the new songs...

The last part is retarded.. seriously I'm not a huge fan of NIN does that not make me rock fan?