CD - the first single. **From 06 .. I knew it would be LOL

gnfnr2006

No, this song must never be released as a single, this is a song that´s way to dark (see: metal) for a band as GN´R

And these kind of songs will never be huge hits nowadays even if it´s from GN´R

I don't know, those kinds of songs worked pretty well for the likes of Staind and Nickelback, so imagine how well a genuinely good song could do ;)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, the song itself improved since 2002.

Mostly, because of Pitman and the intro.

But as a single, or radio edit, the intro wouldn't work.

The song wouldn't be the same.

Chinese Democracy is a rock song.

Just because it's rock, doesn't mean it rocks.

Chinese Democracy doesn't rock, it's a weak track.

When introducing the song live, at HOB I think, he said he wrote the song after watching Kundun. The lyrics are not controversial, they don't even have much of a reason. Pointless.

I would be quite disappointed if they chose it as a single. It's below average at best.

He did say that at HOB, and he seemed very saddened by a scene where the dali lama has a vision looking back at china... never said that they don't mean anything, though.... I think the track is GREAT.

Since I haven't heard the "newest" leaks, I can't really comment on the improved quality of each individual song. However, GNR needs the song that is the most accessible to the public to be their #1 single. Now, I don't know if that will be CD, Better, TWAT, or Maddy, but they should follow their past blueprints. Hard-hitting, aggressive, loud, defiant first song followed by one of the ballads... classic blueprint for metal albums since the early 80's. Never-failed.

Muscially its a great song...But besides that, Axls vocals/melody isnt very catchy at all...

In fact, Axl should save the music and rewrite a new melody...Such a waste of a song for such a catchy riff and intro.

They really like CD. It really has the most "original GNR" sound to it. Not that thats what I prefer, cause I really, really love the new stuff !!

I think alot of people are wrongly judging (be it in a positive way or not) "Chinese Democracy" on the live versions that they/we have heard, i don't beleive there will be the same intro on the studio version as on the live one as a kick off.

We have to look at the evidence - all we have in terms of a near-studio sound of "Chinese Democracy" is the 2002 Promo(s).

Now if the finished version of "Chinese Democracy" is anything like it is on the 2002 Promo, it will sound quite different from it's live counterpart.

Axl's voice on the promo sounded distorted and the song (allbeit judging it based on a few seconds of it) had a very industrial arrangement about it.

I think the finished version (if anything like the promo clip) will pleasantly surprise alot of people on these boards as a decent kick-ass track, i feel it has alot of potential and i'm sure it will raise a few eyebrows.

Are you fucking serious? Have you NOT been paying attention? Did you not see that a NEAR STUDIO(if not studio quality) version of CHIENSE DEMOCRACY was leaked only days ago?

Edited by Sabbra_Cadabra

From a markerting poitn of view and it makes perfect sense. The CD is called CD what better way to promote it? Also think about the lyrics will give people a stir and make it controversial just like One in a Million.

But in a sense of quaility Better or TWAT is the best choice IMO.

Can you PLEASE EXPLAIN how the lyrics are contraversial.

Fish

It could be, but I think Better is more mainstream than Chinese Democracy. I'd like to see it as a second single, though. I think it could work as a single, but not as first single., they need a mainstream song.

From a markerting poitn of view and it makes perfect sense. The CD is called CD what better way to promote it? Also think about the lyrics will give people a stir and make it controversial just like One in a Million.

But in a sense of quaility Better or TWAT is the best choice IMO.

Can you PLEASE EXPLAIN how the lyrics are contraversial.

Fish

Or better yet, explain the lyrics fullstop. :P

i really like this song but it wont be a great first single for the new rockers out there

i think TWAT is a great first single and i really hope they dont use better its one of the worst new songs out there

Chinese democracy isn't a song i'd recommend to non&new GNR fans....it doesnt have a huge mainstream appeal and wouldn't stay in the charts that long i'm afraid. As a title track of an album thats been coming since almost the millenium i'm dreading to think it would be released then vanish without a trace after 3 weeks because of Beyonce or Justin Timberlake or some other shit.

#1 vote goes for Better, Its excellent song without a doubt and in my opinion it would get the best airplay and stick in peoples heads long enough to make them buy the album - and thats what counts. Its a similar position to when Dont Cry was put back to let YCBM be a punchier first single

Who knows?, if GNR PR/mangement doesn't turn out to be a dead horse, theres a good video maybe with a NEW new song coupled together with a little Axl ego then i may be wrong

Chinese democracy isn't a song i'd recommend to non&new GNR fans....it doesnt have a huge mainstream appeal and wouldn't stay in the charts that long i'm afraid. As a title track of an album thats been coming since almost the millenium i'm dreading to think it would be released then vanish without a trace after 3 weeks because of Beyonce or Justin Timberlake or some other shit.

#1 vote goes for Better, Its excellent song without a doubt and in my opinion it would get the best airplay and stick in peoples heads long enough to make them buy the album - and thats what counts. Its a similar position to when Dont Cry was put back to let YCBM be a punchier first single

Who knows?, if GNR PR/mangement doesn't turn out to be a dead horse, theres a good video maybe with a NEW new song coupled together with a little Axl ego then i may be wrong

But Chinese Democracy, being probably the closest to what the original band of all songs, could possibly serve as an alert that Guns N' Roses can still do what made them famous in the first place.

Then again, probably Axl would prefer to release Better first, because that is "his vision of GN'R".

But Chinese Democracy, being probably the closest to what the original band of all songs, could possibly serve as an alert that Guns N' Roses can still do what made them famous in the first place.

CD doesn't work as a single for 2 reasons. The first is that the radio edit of the song would chop off the intro and build-up the way it will be on the album, and those are the parts that make it the coolest. The second reason is that as said earlier it may just be a little too industrial/metal sounding for a first single and could be shocking to the general public considering what the expectation of how GNR is supposed to sound. The first single should be some sort of old GNR sounding song just to ween the public onto the new sound. Shocking them up front with a totally new sound is risking the success of the entire album if it doesn't go over as well as I am sure everyone around here would like. If the other 10-12 songs are the greatest ever written it won't matter if the first single doesn't end up being a big hit, as people will write off new GNR before they are even given a second chance.

It's funny that people say Chinese Democracy might be "too metal". I mean, what the hell was Appetite For Destruction? To this day, songs like Welcome To The Jungle and Paradise City still get top spots in all-time Metal songs lists. How would Chinese Democracy be a departure?

It's funny that people say Chinese Democracy might be "too metal". I mean, what the hell was Appetite For Destruction? To this day, songs like Welcome To The Jungle and Paradise City still get top spots in all-time Metal songs lists. How would Chinese Democracy be a departure?

Yeah, but there's a gaping chasm between what's called "metal" and lumps in groups like GNR, Motley, Faster Pussycat et al, and the aggressive, driving stuff, which I would really call metal, like Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The complaints about Chinese Democracy sounding too metal probably has more to do with the latter possibility, where the aggressiveness in Axl's voice and the pumelling riff gives off a harsh vibe that isn't usually associated with the group.

I agree with what's been said thus far about the likely radio edit. It's a great opening track and needs to be taken as such. Singles have to fit in wherever and this song deserves it's rightful place, thus disqualifying it to possibly sit beside a Nickelback song. I'm sure GNR have something up their sleeve. There's a chance we haven't heard the first single yet...although there seems to be something about these tracks that keeps leaking out to us, and maybe that's more telling than not.

CD doesn't work as a single for 2 reasons. The first is that the radio edit of the song would chop off the intro and build-up the way it will be on the album, and those are the parts that make it the coolest. The second reason is that as said earlier it may just be a little too industrial/metal sounding for a first single and could be shocking to the general public considering what the expectation of how GNR is supposed to sound. The first single should be some sort of old GNR sounding song just to ween the public onto the new sound. Shocking them up front with a totally new sound is risking the success of the entire album if it doesn't go over as well as I am sure everyone around here would like. If the other 10-12 songs are the greatest ever written it won't matter if the first single doesn't end up being a big hit, as people will write off new GNR before they are even given a second chance.

I dont think it really has a metal sound sound. I think that when it is finalized on the album the voice will not sound like Rob Zombie. Thats what Axl sounds like in this version of CD, and its not how he sounds live. There is a bit of that voice even in the most recent live performance, but nothing like the demo. Its a shame the 06 clips of CD came down off of youtube so quickly....

Edited by gnfnr2006

I dont think it really has a metal sound sound. I think that when it is finalized on the album the voice will not sound like Rob Zombie. Thats what Axl sounds like in this version of CD, and its not how he sounds live. There is a bit of that voice even in the most recent live performance, but nothing like the demo. Its a shame the 06 clips of CD came down off of youtube so quickly....

I think aside from the vocals, it is the tone of the guitars that gives it that very metal/industrial feel. Not that its a bad thing, but it certainly doesn't have that classic GNR sounding tone people associate with the band, which is why they have to be cautious in walking the line in terms of releasing a single that reflects the bands new sound but also sounds like the GNR people are expecting.

I think aside from the vocals, it is the tone of the guitars that gives it that very metal/industrial feel. Not that its a bad thing, but it certainly doesn't have that classic GNR sounding tone people associate with the band, which is why they have to be cautious in walking the line in terms of releasing a single that reflects the bands new sound but also sounds like the GNR people are expecting.

agreed

• 1 year later...

I think these could be the singles for CD

We know Cd is already released, again i' am basing this off the Best Buy convention screening, where they played these 3 songs. I know a lot of times when bands do this, most of the time they are all the singles for the up-comming release.

I remember when we first heard the promos, I said that Chinese democracy would be the first single just based on that, but I think we will see it follow up by the other 2.

Chinese Democracy

If the World

Maybe - Better or Madagascar

End with There was a Time

What do you guys think?

I think these could be the singles for CD

We know Cd is already released, again i' am basing this off the Best Buy convention screening, where they played these 3 songs. I know a lot of times when bands do this, most of the time they are all the singles for the up-comming release.

I remember when we first heard the promos, I said that Chinese democracy would be the first single just based on that, but I think we will see it follow up by the other 2.

Chinese Democracy

If the World

Maybe - Better or Madagascar

End with There was a Time

What do you guys think?

Not really a good reason to support this theory.

1. Chinese Democracy was shown because it'd already been chosen as the first single most likely.

2. If the World was shown because it was on Body Of Lies.

3. TWAT was shown because it's one of Axl's favorites, and if word/leaks went out outside that convention there wouldn't be too much damage done(TWAT has been out since '06 and was also played live), compared to if a new track had been played.