Richard Fortus - the musician ..

quadlaser

He does not impress me at all as a guitar player. I think Axl recruited him for his stage presense.

Even YOU must understand that Axl wouldent hire just an average guiatarplayer to Guns N' Roses.Eventough he doesent impress you doesent mean a shit

Robin Finck

Fortus is a great player. My fav in the band right now.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He does not impress me at all as a guitar player. I think Axl recruited him for his stage presense.

Even YOU must understand that Axl wouldent hire just an average guiatarplayer to Guns N' Roses.Eventough he doesent impress you doesent mean a shit

Robin Finck

saying Robin Finck is an avergae guitarplayer tells how little you know of guitarplaying

Robin Finck

saying Robin Finck is an avergae guitarplayer tells how little you know of guitarplaying

:lol: to the contrary.

anyways, i'm quite aware of the "solos" in madagascar and the blues, IMO they're just extra layers, hardly worth being called solos.

seems like it's a fashion show here. i, for one, won't be giving a fuck about his stage presence while i'm listening to CD.

I'm sort of on board with you quad. I think people love Fortus because of the way he looks on stage, how cool he looks playing guitar (personally I think that whole slamming the strings thing looks stupid), and the fact that he plays the old solos well.

I've said it before and been largely ignored: Fortus is the most expendable player in the band right now. You can't get rid of Thal because you need someone to play the fast shit - if Bucket is gone then Thal is the next best option. Plus, possibly the highlight of each show is his amazing rendition of DC. Finck, from what we know, is a key writer in the band, and as such may be the most important member next to Axl. Yeah, sounds crazy, but writing is more important than playing, at least in GN'R, a band that has always made good music. I will take Robin's Better and The Blues solos over Fortus' version of insert Slash solo here. Why? Because this is about the new stuff. Lots of people can cover Slash's material.

My opinion may change whenever it becomes clear just what role Richard has in the creative process.

Robin Finck

Do you know ANYTHING about guitar playing?!

I'm with KBear. Finck is a great guitarplayer by most standards; easily good enough for any GnR rhythm stuff, and Ron is both incredibly technically gifted and a great writer (once he gets the chance to contribute). I don't think Richard is particularly distinctive, and and technical ability he may have is largely unecessarry.

Fortus has the best stage presence out of all the guitar players I think. Plus the mother fucker rips shit up.

I cannot agree more, every band need an Angus Young, while fortus may not be that great of a guitarist (I have no idea, seems fine to me) he brings an energy and vibe that the others dont, it is all part of the chemistry. He is unique to the band, and he just looks fucking cool punching that damn guitar. Rock n Roll is a show too, not just perfectly reproduced studio songs.

P.S. Slash has never played a solo the same way twice, GNR of old was a loose band, as opposed to a Metallica type band that sounded EXACTLY like their albums. I liked that loose style shit, and Fortus does that too. So criticizing cause he doesnt play solos technically correct is silly to me. If I wanna hear a studio version I will pop in my CD.

Robin Finck

actually calling him anything more then average shows how little YOU know about guitar playing

I have been playing for over ten years and I can tell you right now after 1 year I could do a better take on this solo than Stinck

Robin Finck

actually calling him anything more then average shows how little YOU know about guitar playing

I have been playing for over ten years and I can tell you right now after 1 year I could do a better take on this solo than Stinck

Id PAY to see that

there is soooooo much fucking 4tus fanboyism here, why? what has he done? LSL sucks ass, but it ain't like most of you have even tried listening to them. we haven't even had a fortus solo in a new song yet! all he does is play (barely any of) slash's old solos mostly not for note. sure he doesn't fuck up, but it sure isn't worth all the praise he gets. his solo spots leave a bit to be desired as well.

why the fanboyism? well, have you ever heard the addage 'if you want to seem smart, talk as little as possible so you have less of a chance to say something stupid'?

it's fucking true, unfortunately, and richard's making a killing off of it, by playing his guitar as little as possible...

Idiot.

Pot...

Kettle...

Black...

Finck is a good guitar player, Fortus is a great guitar player. Together, they form a great combo and a great duet. Finck/Fortus are great.

FINCK/FORTUS ARE THE REAL NEWGNR GUITAR PLAYERS.

The problem is Bumblefoot. He is useless. He is "just" the 3rd player. He is not required, he is not needed and he shouldn't be in this band.

End of story.

Edited by rockstar81

Finck is a good guitar player, Fortus is a great guitar player. Together, they form a great combo and a great duet. Finck/Fortus are great.

FINCK/FORTUS ARE THE REAL NEWGNR GUITAR PLAYERS.

The problem is Bumblefoot. He is useless. He is "just" the 3rd player. He is not required, he is not needed and he shouldn't be in this band.

End of story.

Have you seen the band? Really have you? I saw them for the second time in Oakland on the 15th and bumble was incredible, he had the solo from WTTJ and never looked back. He was easily the crowd favorite that night. So you are obviously speaking w/out being there. I am sure someone else will back me.

Maybe you saw them early in the tour, cause when I saw them in sept Bumble was not as prolific. But now he is. He was on fire man. I am actually wasting my time :sleeper:

Edited by Gunzen