March 6th Release Date (Reality)

motownjunkie

This last tour was a cash grab and an embarrassment if you ask me.

umm...I paid for a product and got it. he did play 5 new songs as well. it was not a cash grab, irresponsible statement. I thought we were done with bullshit statements.

If you by a ticket to a show, and he gives a great performance, that is supply/demand/capitlism. It is what ths economy is based on. A good value at a good price. Cash grab implies irresoponsible business practice, instead you are the one being irresponsible. Lame.

Its semantics.

Of course it's a cash grab, they made good money.

On the other hand, he didn't do it 'just for money'. If it was 'just for money', he'd do a 85 minute greatest hits set and get the hell out of there (like say, I dunno, Velvet Revolver? Sorry couldn't resist...). He also chose to spend a good portion of his profits on curfew fines.

He says himself in the letter that management hyped the record to sell tickets. Merck said they did the tour because they needed the money to complete the record, which may or may not be true. That would be your 'irresponsible business practice' right there.

Either way, unless you're playing at a bar for free beer, all touring is a cash grab. Selling a T-shirt for $35 that cost $5 to make, although an industry standard, is just as much a cash grab. All bands do it, Axl's no exception, nor should he be. Axl gives folks their money's worth and then some when it comes to the cost of his shows. And realistically, $75 is dirt cheap for a show of that length with that much pyro. They still made good money, and good for them, they deserve it!

P.S. If you really don't think CD is gonna leak...wow...I'm here to say, welcome to the 21st Century. I won't be d/ling anymore leaks though, I want the full polished gala on my favorite stereo uninterrupted when it comes out. But it will leak. 100% certainty. It is the 9th law of physics. According to Cartman, the 8th law of physics is that anything fun costs at least $8. The 9th law would be that all albums in the 21st century leak at least a few days before its release.

Haha, that Cartman quote is pretty funny. I haven't heard that one before, I guess I missed that episode.

Anyways, I am like you in that I want to play the CD on my stereo system first, not listen to some crappy mp3. It'll be easy if it leaks a few days before release, but what happens if we get a leak with no release date in sight? That will be much harder.

My plan when the leaks came out earlier this year was to not listen to them. Needless to say I caved. I decided that there was a good chance the album was months if not years away, and that's simply too long to wait. I think I made the right call!!! I still listen to the songs, but not so often that they get worn out.

If a song(s) were to leak say in February, I'd simply d/l it and wait to hear the band's response. If they indicate the album is definitely coming in March then I'd probably hold off. But if that date slips and they don't give us another one, well I just wouldn't wait. Hell, I could get hit by a car while I waited. It's not worth it, you gotta do the things you want to do right away. In the end I will buy the album on both CD and vinyl, plus every single (again, CD and vinyl); so it really doesn't matter.

Bottom line: I need to know it's coming soon to prevent me from listening to a leak. Otherwise, I'm listening because there is no telling when this album is actually coming.

P.S. Basically what Karri said, just with a lot more words. :lol:

Edited by KBear

umm...I paid for a product and got it. he did play 5 new songs as well. it was not a cash grab, irresponsible statement. I thought we were done with bullshit statements.

If you by a ticket to a show, and he gives a great performance, that is supply/demand/capitlism. It is what ths economy is based on. A good value at a good price. Cash grab implies irresoponsible business practice, instead you are the one being irresponsible. Lame.

Well, maybe the band shouldn't have promised the album was coming in 2006. They held onto this date all the way up until Axl's statement in December! And maybe they shouldn't be calling it the Chinese Democracy tour. Maybe the band shouldn't have confirmed to us that more new songs would be added during the American leg of the tour. You don't think that is all just a little bit misleading? Cash grab? Merck pretty much confirmed that's why they had to do the tour, to get some more cash to fund the album. Cash grab may be an unfair label, but I don't see how you can just rule it out like that.

Having said that, the show I attended was fantastic. But that's not really the point.

actually that is the point, if he provides the good and services for your money then good deal. That is all I was asying. AND YOU ADMITTED CASH GRAB WAS UNFAIR. So we are in agreement. Look I want the album too, bt the shows were worth the money, and that is all I expect.

who here gives a shit about live shows until we have Chinese Democracy in hand?

Me.

I second that. I love the shows. They were some of the greatest times of my adult life, seriously, seeing my son see his first concert was incredible. The album will be salad dressing.

put it this way, if your fan, you wont download it. simple as that

I'm gonna download it so I'm not a fan :sleeper:

I'm a disgruntled fan....

Don't worry I'll buy it eventually just not in the first couple of months

actually, we have all heard the leaks that may or may not have been released on purpose. I dont care if it is right or wrong. I just dont wanna ruin it for myself anymore , I wil wait till I get the goods.

Well, maybe the band shouldn't have promised the album was coming in 2006. They held onto this date all the way up until Axl's statement in December! And maybe they shouldn't be calling it the Chinese Democracy tour. Maybe the band shouldn't have confirmed to us that more new songs would be added during the American leg of the tour. You don't think that is all just a little bit misleading? Cash grab? Merck pretty much confirmed that's why they had to do the tour, to get some more cash to fund the album. Cash grab may be an unfair label, but I don't see how you can just rule it out like that.

Having said that, the show I attended was fantastic. But that's not really the point.

actually that is the point, if he provides the good and services for your money then good deal. That is all I was asying. AND YOU ADMITTED CASH GRAB WAS UNFAIR. So we are in agreement.

Not really, I said 'cash grab' may be unfair. It's a pretty harsh term so I would hesitate just throwing it around. But at the same time, and here's my main point, they did mislead us to some degree whether intentional or not. The shows were awesome, and I would go again, but it was not what they labeled it as, that being the Chinese Democracy tour.

Look, I bought my tickets for the November 15th show maybe six or eight weeks prior. Based on GN'R's comments up till that point I had every right to believe that show was going to be more about the new album than it was. So I could easily argue that they didn't provide the services I paid for. I won't, but you know what? They have to start doing better. It is silly to have Chinese Democracy souvenirs and a Chinese Democracy backdrop behind the stage, then to have the band play only a handful of new songs with no mention about the album that is supposedly only weeks away.

Things have not gone perfectly this year, and it amazes me that a group of fans here try to spin things that way. Why? Let's just call a spade a spade, let's ask questions, let's expect the band to be more open. Not have the album delayed this March (hopefully not) and pretend things are fine, 2006 had a lot of great shows so we should all just sit back and be happy because we got our fill. No, I don't think so...that's just being delusional. I firmly believe the reason we got the communication we did this year is because fans were so vocal. Hopefully Axl now realizes this - he has promised to keep in touch if things go bad and IMO that's a great sign.

I will be downloading the/any leak, will tell my friends, make a few copies if they want to hear some (seeing as they're not registered on any GNR site, and wont have heard the leaks) but I won't listen myself until the real copy comes out.

oh God, i hope it doesn't leak... and if/when it does i dont know if i should download it or not... :(

put it this way, if your fan, you wont download it. simple as that

well said dude, why would you steal it from GNR? You guys want albums, and they need to be paid to put them out. Just wait a few more weeks, listen to the single (if there is one) and buy it. I wont even think about downloading it.

I am a huge fan. I will download it the day it leaks. I will also be in the store buying it the day it comes out. What's wrong with that? I have downloaded every album Mike Patton puts out that has leaked 4 - 6 weeks in advance. But if you check out my CD collection, I have every one of his albums. Purchased day of release. Does this make me less of a fan? Hell no. This makes me a fan eager to get the music and loyal enough to buy it. So the theory that fans don't download is BS.