Super Bowl??

Bailey15

You're smoking crack, right? Maybe not too familiar with McCartney?

McCartney's performance two years ago was the best Super Bowl performance, EVER.

In my opinion.

matt, normally i'm with you, but regardless of mccartney's catalogue, his performance that year was really weak. i'm not saying prince was better, but mccartney's was obviously lip synched and lacked any real emotion. he just did his standard 'i'm the cute one' routine, which was a response to the show a year ealier where ms. jackson (if you're nasty) decided to bust out her tit.

last year's stones performance was a fucking travesty.

all that being said, prince was alright, but i expected more.

in regards to the game, i'm glad peyton got it done. might not have been the best game of his career, but you can't say the sole reason for the colts winning was the bear's sucking. this was a long time coming and shoulda happened last year, i think tony dungy's personal life was what derailed them, not manning's choking. i bet peyton plays a whole lot different from here on out, now he's got that monkey off his back.

Maybe I'm all alone here... but that McCartney performance was simply fantastic. I don't know about lip-syncing... I saw the performance again recently on the NFL network (they had a show just of halftime performances... pretty cool) and he was in no way lip-syncing. I've seen him live a couple times, no different there. It's the only performance I've ever seen at the Super Bowl that gave me goose bumps... well, hats off to U2 after 9/11... think that one did too.

Perhaps I have a greater appreciation for the Beatles too and what they mean/meant to the music industry, across the board. I personally couldn't think of a bigger act, in the sense of timeless, generation bridging artist that reaches out to a broad array of music lovers. The music appeals to just about everybody. For example, the Super Bowl is a huge family event for me (hosted it this year at my new place). Anyway, most of the time some artist is up there that doesn't appeal to everyone in the room... whether it be my grandmother, parents, or me or my brothers and our better halves. When Prince came on, I think I was the only one semi-intersted in the performance. Everyone else went to the can, had a smoke, whatever. You can say that just about any performer up there year-in and year-out.

When McCartney came on though, it was AMAZING to see my grandparents, parents, brothers and sisters all captivated by it... and my parents telling my nephew who that was up there reminicing about 'Beatle Mania' back in the 60's. My dad was so taken back by it, he insisted he go to a concert with me to see him. He hadn't been to a concert in 25 years.

So, that was my point... I think McCartney may be the only artist out there that can have that kind of a captivating impact on a large audience, age wise... from younger folks to older folks.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhodes should have been the SB MVP. Congrats Peyton, now people can shut up about you choking.

'cause he did it once? I mean, Manning's the best ever, but he's still a choker to me. He beat a tired defense that was having a bad day anyway, and the Bears offense scored what, 3 points in the last 50:00? Manning deserved it, and he's fantastic, but tonight's game was decided by the Bears. If Manning was choking, who'd notice? He didn't have anyone to beat!

Saying Manning was the best ever is ridiculous. No offense. When he retires and we can look at his numbers and his accomplishments, then it can be discussed. But there's a few names that come to mind before Manning is even an afterthought:

Unitas, Montana, Elway, Marino, Farve, Moon, Bradshaw, Young.

If you want to base it on numbers and accomplishments... Montana, Unitas and Farve are in a class of their own. Manning who? Don't get me wrong, I love Peyton... great football player. Genious offensive mind... but he needs to accomplish more to be listed with some of those names above.

If you're going to start naming names, then at least get it right. It's Favre, not "Farve." And for the record, Manning is on pace to break pretty much every record in the book. Marino and Moon never won a Super Bowl, so I would ALREADY put Manning ahead of them. Their "greatness" is only based on their career numbers. Manning will blow their numbers away and now that he's finally beaten the Patriots in the playoffs as well as winning a Super Bowl, I would think he will have at least a couple more Super Bowl rings before he's done. He's got a ways to go to be up there with Montana, Favre, and Elway though.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Rhodes should have been the SB MVP. Congrats Peyton, now people can shut up about you choking.

'cause he did it once? I mean, Manning's the best ever, but he's still a choker to me. He beat a tired defense that was having a bad day anyway, and the Bears offense scored what, 3 points in the last 50:00? Manning deserved it, and he's fantastic, but tonight's game was decided by the Bears. If Manning was choking, who'd notice? He didn't have anyone to beat!

Saying Manning was the best ever is ridiculous. No offense. When he retires and we can look at his numbers and his accomplishments, then it can be discussed. But there's a few names that come to mind before Manning is even an afterthought:

If you want to base it on numbers and accomplishments... Montana, Unitas and Farve are in a class of their own. Manning who? Don't get me wrong, I love Peyton... great football player. Genious offensive mind... but he needs to accomplish more to be listed with some of those names above.

If you're going to start naming names, then at least get it right. It's Favre, not "Farve." And for the record, Manning is on pace to break pretty much every record in the book. Marino and Moon never won a Super Bowl, so I would ALREADY put Manning ahead of them. Their "greatness" is only based on their career numbers. Manning will blow their numbers away and now that he's finally beaten the Patriots in the playoffs as well as winning a Super Bowl, I would think he will have at least a couple more Super Bowl rings before he's done. He's got a ways to go to be up there with Montana, Favre, and Elway though.

Thanks for the correction. It's good to know pot heads nowadays can spell some. Did it ever occur to you it was a typo? You know how mnay tmeis one can srcbamle a few lteetrs and not even raleize it? Dumbass.

Anyway, he does have a way to go. You can start talking about putting him ahead of guys like Marino now... but still, Dan holds quite a few records. If Peyton can keep up his performance, which has slacked the past couple of years since his career year three years ago, and win a few more bowls... you can start to talk about greatness. He may have cracked the top-10 of all time with a SB win on some SI, ESPN or NFLN poll, but he still has a lot of work to do to be mentioned with Montana, Elway, Unitas or Favre.

I forgot to mention Jim Kelly, too. He was the last guy to call his own plays exclusively... at least until Manning.

Thanks for the correction. It's good to know pot heads nowadays can spell some. Did it ever occur to you it was a typo? You know how mnay tmeis one can srcbamle a few lteetrs and not even raleize it? Dumbass.

Anyway, he does have a way to go. You can start talking about putting him ahead of guys like Marino now... but still, Dan holds quite a few records. If Peyton can keep up his performance, which has slacked the past couple of years since his career year three years ago, and win a few more bowls... you can start to talk about greatness. He may have cracked the top-10 of all time with a SB win on some SI, ESPN or NFLN poll, but he still has a lot of work to do to be mentioned with Montana, Elway, Unitas or Favre.

I forgot to mention Jim Kelly, too. He was the last guy to call his own plays exclusively... at least until Manning.

Me a pothead? Never done drugs in my life, dumbass. And no, I don't think it was a typo. You spelled his name the way it's pronounced. It comes across as ignorance in my opinion that you would mention him as one of the "greatest" ever but not even realize that he has a weird ass spelling of his name (which has only been pointed out a million times by the media).

I'll take Tom Brady over Unitas and Favre, and I'll take Montana and Elway over anyone else including Manning and Brady. Manning and Brady, however, have the potential to end up being the two greatest ever by the time they're done.

Maybe I'm all alone here... but that McCartney performance was simply fantastic. I don't know about lip-syncing... I saw the performance again recently on the NFL network (they had a show just of halftime performances... pretty cool) and he was in no way lip-syncing. I've seen him live a couple times, no different there. It's the only performance I've ever seen at the Super Bowl that gave me goose bumps... well, hats off to U2 after 9/11... think that one did too.

Perhaps I have a greater appreciation for the Beatles too and what they mean/meant to the music industry, across the board. I personally couldn't think of a bigger act, in the sense of timeless, generation bridging artist that reaches out to a broad array of music lovers. The music appeals to just about everybody. For example, the Super Bowl is a huge family event for me (hosted it this year at my new place). Anyway, most of the time some artist is up there that doesn't appeal to everyone in the room... whether it be my grandmother, parents, or me or my brothers and our better halves. When Prince came on, I think I was the only one semi-intersted in the performance. Everyone else went to the can, had a smoke, whatever. You can say that just about any performer up there year-in and year-out.

When McCartney came on though, it was AMAZING to see my grandparents, parents, brothers and sisters all captivated by it... and my parents telling my nephew who that was up there reminicing about 'Beatle Mania' back in the 60's. My dad was so taken back by it, he insisted he go to a concert with me to see him. He hadn't been to a concert in 25 years.

So, that was my point... I think McCartney may be the only artist out there that can have that kind of a captivating impact on a large audience, age wise... from younger folks to older folks.

that's a very good point.

edit: typo

Edited by bass71player

that's a very good point.

edit: typo

Agreed

Prince was the best half time show I've ever seen. He was awesome. I watched McCartney's but I'm not really interested in him so it didn't make much impression. I can't stand U2 either so that knocks them out for me. Aerosmith is excellent and would have been great if not for N Sync and Britney Spears and whoever else they had up with them.

There's no doubt that Prince is one hell of a guitar player next year the Super Bowl is in Arizona I wonder how long we have to wait before someone says GNR should play.

But I have to agree the U2 Performance was awsome.

The halftime show was ok, I guess that fruitcake can put on a decent show, but gnr would be much better and draw a bigger crowd then prince. p.s. If you love prince so much, join a forum that is related to him.

I remember when Ashlee Simpson did the SuperBowl..that was..perfect.

The boos of course!

she didn't sing at the super bowl, it was the tostito's fiesta bowl for the college football championship.

The halftime show was ok, I guess that fruitcake can put on a decent show, but gnr would be much better and draw a bigger crowd then prince. p.s. If you love prince so much, join a forum that is related to him.

Based on what exactly? Prince is far more likely to draw a bigger crowd as his music appeals to people who listen to rock, pop, r&b, etc etc. He has huge cross-over appeal.

New GNR doesn't have that crossover appeal. The original band however probably would.

And that "fruitcake" has proven time and time again that he is a musical genius.

There's no doubt that Prince is one hell of a guitar player next year the Super Bowl is in Arizona I wonder how long we have to wait before someone says GNR should play.

But I have to agree the U2 Performance was awsome.

That "fruitcake" has banged more beautiful chicks than you can only dream about and on top of THAT, is an amazing talent as a singer, songwriter, guitar player. As far as drawing a bigger crowd, when did they ever have a problem selling Super Bowl tickets? And finally, I really hope you are not that one-dimensional that you think someone can't be a fan of more than just one artist. "join a forum related to him" is not very clever.