Runrig

Graeme

Hey, got into these guys a couple of years back when I heard Once in a Lifetime - Live. An album which i think is one of the greatest live albums ever recorded. Basically these guys are about trying to save dying highland and gaelic (Pronounced galic) culture.

Their weapon of choice is rock music and they've been playing for over 30 years. They were huge in scotland back in the nineties when they played massive gigs at Loch Lomond and all throughout europe.

Bumblefoot is a fan as well :P

They're massive in Germany as well so some of the Germans on this board may have heard of them.

Their new lead singer is canadian, and i believe has quite a successful career over there, he's from cape breton island, Nova Scotia. His name is Bruce Guthro.

They're not everybody's cup of tea (especially the trendy music press who tend to attempt to raze them to the ground) but that's never stopped them and they do make some fantastic music.

anyways, here's a couple of videos of their live stuff to show you what I mean.

Loch lomond This is them performing the traditional scots song Loch lomond with their old singer.

Protect and Survive from the 30th anniversary gig with their new singer.

Skyeeven if you ignore the rest watch this one!

Siol Ghoraidh good example of how gaelic can be put into rock music.

Post your thoughts.... hopefully you like them, if not then, your choice, but at least give a listen :)

G

I really should listen to more Runrig.

No Scottish party is complete without Runrig's Loch Lomond being played.

Borders in glasgow have some of their albums, for the earlier ones you'd need to look further afield.... I found one on skye :P

If you want to look into it then get Once in a lifetime.... that's where the recording of loch lomond everyone uses is from. The album version is shit in comparison.

EDIT: Dude, you live in Balloch don't you? you could have gone to the loch lomond gig.... it was in the park on that massive hill. As it happens i'll be in Balloch tomorrow...

Edited by Graeme

Borders in glasgow have some of their albums, for the earlier ones you'd need to look further afield.... I found one on skye :P

If you want to look into it then get Once in a lifetime.... that's where the recording of loch lomond everyone uses is from. The album version is shit in comparison.

EDIT: Dude, you live in Balloch don't you? you could have gone to the loch lomond gig.... it was in the park on that massive hill. As it happens i'll be in Balloch tomorrow...

Yeah, theres only been 3 gigs in Loch Lomond is the past 15 or so years, don't know exactly. Runrig, Oasis and R.E.M.

My brothers really into Runrig, I might borrow a few albums.

Yeah, theres only been 3 gigs in Loch Lomond is the past 15 or so years, don't know exactly. Runrig, Oasis and R.E.M.

My brothers really into Runrig, I might borrow a few albums.

I remember hearing the Oasis one from my aunt's back garden and a lot of my family went to the REM one. It's a great venue. If GnR played there i'd actually kill for tickets.

but yeah, check RR out :)

Edited by Graeme

• 4 years later...

Right, so I listening to ACDC's 1992 live album. There's a realy beautiful short track on it called Bonny, an intro to Highway To Hell. The public hears it, goes wild and sings along.

So I asked the internet about it. It told me that it's a traditional Scottish song called Loch Lomond. I inquired further and came across this. I honestly have no words to describe it other than 'wow...' A critic apparently described it "as a rendition of "Loch Lomond" that has to be heard to be believed" and I wholeheartedly agree.

Right, so I listening to ACDC's 1992 live album. There's a realy beautiful short track on it called Bonny, an intro to Highway To Hell. The public hears it, goes wild and sings along.

So I asked the internet about it. It told me that it's a traditional Scottish song called Loch Lomond. I inquired further and came across this. I honestly have no words to describe it other than 'wow...' A critic apparently described it "as a rendition of "Loch Lomond" that has to be heard to be believed" and I wholeheartedly agree.

Ho mo leannan bhoidheach :wub:

Holy shit, this was a blast from the past, :lol: at 16 year old me genuinely trying to get everyone to care. I still mention Runrig wherever and whenever I can on here because I genuinely think they deserve it.

GTF, The album that version of Loch Lomond is on is called "Once In A Lifetime" and is my favourite album of all time. Period. I'd suggest checking out a few of the other songs on it, cause imo Loch Lomond isn't even the best one.

Try these two:

As an aside, I've heard the AC/DC version live too :), they play it when they come to Scotland but I'd say I prefer Runrig's.

GTF, The album that version of Loch Lomond is on is called "Once In A Lifetime" and is my favourite album of all time. Period. I'd suggest checking out a few of the other songs on it, cause imo Loch Lomond isn't even the best one.

I know, I've been trying to get it, but I can't find any seeds anywhere. I'll check those two songs you posted.

As an aside, I've heard the AC/DC version live too :), they play it when they come to Scotland but I'd say I prefer Runrig's.

Of course. What I mentioned was a short version, an excerpt, just a guitar version of the chorus melody. I don't know if they've ever played the full song.

• 5 months later...

I know, I've been trying to get it, but I can't find any seeds anywhere. I'll check those two songs you posted.

I finally got around to listening to the whole album and it's wow!... It's just... wow...

I think I'm actually gonna have to seriously look into this band.