Tom Petty vs. John Mellencamp vs. Bob Seger

adnan

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

John Mellencamp- A good artist with plenty of swagger and ability to carry him through a long, winding career. What really discredits him is two stretches of mediocre record-making, one was his phase as the lovable, laughable, and pitifully untalented Bruce Springsteen clone "Johnny Cougar". While American Fool showed strong signs of progress, it was Uh-Huh that began a series of three great albums which was followed by another slump of just average records and then he produced another great album in Human Wheels, after which he hasn't produced anything notable at all.

Tom Petty- Not much needs to be said about Petty; he is a clearly distinctive, important songwriter, great musician, and has not produced a single below average album other than 02's The Last DJ, all while producing at least six truly great albums.

Bob Seger- Seger's early career is very inconsistent, a couple of monumental albums, and a few average albums. But starting in 1973, Bob produced a series of unbelievable albums that only ended in '82, after which he hasn't released anything truly notable, except for his excellent 2006 album Face the Promise.

Out of them, I choose Petty. Although Seger is about even with him in terms of good or great albums, Petty developed such a beautiful songwriting style, and to me remains a better musician and songwriter than Seger. Mellencamp is okay, but doesn't enter the equation for me.

To those wondering why I didn't include Springsteen; he would've won by a landslide.

John Mellencamp- A good artist with plenty of swagger and ability to carry him through a long, winding career. What really discredits him is two stretches of mediocre record-making, one was his phase as the lovable, laughable, and pitifully untalented Bruce Springsteen clone "Johnny Cougar". While American Fool showed strong signs of progress, it was Uh-Huh that began a series of three great albums which was followed by another slump of just average records and then he produced another great album in Human Wheels, after which he hasn't produced anything notable at all.

Tom Petty- Not much needs to be said about Petty; he is a clearly distinctive, important songwriter, great musician, and has not produced a single below average album other than 02's The Last DJ, all while producing at least six truly great albums.

Bob Seger- Seger's early career is very inconsistent, a couple of monumental albums, and a few average albums. But starting in 1973, Bob produced a series of unbelievable albums that only ended in '82, after which he hasn't released anything truly notable, except for his excellent 2006 album Face the Promise.

Out of them, I choose Petty. Although Seger is about even with him in terms of good or great albums, Petty developed such a beautiful songwriting style, and to me remains a better musician and songwriter than Seger. Mellencamp is okay, but doesn't enter the equation for me.

To those wondering why I didn't include Springsteen; he would've won by a landslide.

I'd say Bob Seger and Tom Petty, I can't pick between the two of them. John Mellencamp is good as well but I don't think he's as good...

I actually prefer all 3 to Springsteen, I'm just not getting the obsession people have with him :unsure:

I actually prefer all 3 to Springsteen, I'm just not getting the obsession people have with him :unsure:
And no offence, but I never saw what the big deal was/is with Springsteen.

Maybe you never listened closely to albums like Born To Run or The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. Or maybe you fail to see the appeal of some of the best lyrics and music ever written, played by some of the best musicians ever.

Petty. Just barely.

I really like Bob Seger though Adnan is right his stuff can be hit or miss. If this were "Who of these 3 wrote did better ballads, Seger would win.

He'll be forever associate with a Chevy pickup for me

John Mellencamp I like to a lesser extent, partly since I've heard less. Scarecrow is a good album though

Tom Petty is just an iconic figure. Simple driving riffs, and lyrics that run like a soundtrack of life via his unique voice. Go listen to American Girl or Free Fallin' to see what I mean.

Guest Jack_the_ripper
Petty. Just barely.

I really like Bob Seger though Adnan is right his stuff can be hit or miss. If this were "Who of these 3 wrote did better ballads, Seger would win.

He'll be forever associate with a Chevy pickup for me

John Mellencamp I like to a lesser extent, partly since I've heard less. Scarecrow is a good album though

Tom Petty is just an iconic figure. Simple driving riffs, and lyrics that run like a soundtrack of life via his unique voice. Go listen to American Girl or Free Fallin' to see what I mean.

I was listenin to his anthology... and if there were any body of work that ever characterised love, life, death, it's Tom Petty's that does it.

I'd also like to add these petty song suggestions:

learning to fly

It'll all work out

Yer So Bad

I won't back down

Into The Great Wide Open

Mary Jane's Last Dance

The list could go on.

i like the last DJ...

petty by a landslide. just classic stuff. mellencamp always got under my skin, until a very recent and random listening of jack and diane, but that's besides the point that petty wipes the floor with the other two for no other reason than consistent greatness.

i picked Petty, but i also love Mellencamp. "Scarecrow" is a classic album with some fuckin' great songs. i could listen to Mellencamp all day long. good songwriter, good voice, good band. he's also a very good live performer. Seger's early stuff was cool, but i haven't liked anything since the early 80's.

"Scarecrow" is a classic album with some fuckin' great songs. i could listen to Mellencamp all day long.

Yeah, but comparing his overall output to the other two reveals several flaws. Uh-Huh, Scarecrow, and The Lonesome Jubilee are classics, no doubt, and I agree, Mellencamp is very easy on the ear while also containing some substance, while Seger's voice can get tiresome after a while. But still, aside from those three albums, I don't think Mellencamp has produced anything to compare to Seger and especially not anything to compare to Petty's consistently fantastic output.

I've seen all 3 live (Petty and Mellencamp 80's...Seger 70's).

Seger and Mellencamp were fairly evenly matched for a good time rockin show...Petty's was a little dull.

(and I didn't appreciate Petty slagging the opening band....THE REPLACEMENTS!.

As far as records go,personally I think there's a couple of Mellencamp records that really shine,Seger was fun but not mindblowing.

Petty never really reached me...he was just okay for me.