Most important bands for punk?

Wando

What bands or persons do you consider the most important in the development of punk? Is it Sex Pistols, one of the most succesful punkbands ever, and Sid Vicious who gave punk the label of aggression and more or less weird stagebehaviour? Or maybe New York Dolls or The Stooges who influenced Ramones, which in my opinion were the first real punk band.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you cant really accurately guage something like that. i'd hafta say the sex pistols but...y'know, its just such a different thing and a different time and place. i mean, the bands that i LOVE the most, the creators of this whole shit, never even really considered the term punk...they just set out to be rock n roll bands, the stooges, the dolls, the ramones the sex pistols. too much importance is placed in the term punk and all the ins and outs and order and who created it and the only real answer is that it was a whole buncha people gradually reaching the same conclusion, a conclusion that had previously already been reached in the 50s but distorted on the ass end of psychedelia, which was basically a passing phase like everything in rock n roll, just another link in the never ending chain of rock n rolls ageing but people tend to get stuck on shit and identify with it and drag it out too long. dont think you can answer a question like that properly. the earliest mention of punk goes like this, 4 main times

1) inside cover of a lenny kayes nuggets album i think?

2) an early review of the stooges first album sayin "these guys r obviously a buncha punks cruising for burgers, the lead singer obviously has a 25 word vocabulary

3) Punk Magazine by Legs McNeil and John Holstrom

4) British Journalist Caroline Coon in the music mag Melody Maker.

so the whole punk label was like an intellectual thing pinned on by people that didnt really have much to do with the music that was being made, they just kinda pointed out a similarity in the attitude.

Edited by frankwhite

Why are you all saying Sex Pistols?

The Stooges released their first album in 1967, and Sex Pistols released Nevermind The Bullocks in 1977?

Stooges are the godfathers of punk and by far the most important band.

Edited by Raw Power

blink 182

they really set the standard for todays punk bands and I think that without them we wouldnt have a punk scene these days

That joke is soo last year.

Im sorry :(

ok seriosuly

Social Distortion

at least for the punk bands I listen to

In terms of attaining the "punk sound" which is an extremely vague and really unaccurate term and I'm sorry for using it, The Sex Pistols and Ramones. The Roots would be of course the Stooges, MC5, Television and New York Dolls. Stretching the Punk belief to a wider demographic is The Clash as they made songs using pretty much every style and genre they could get their hands on. Those 7 bands are pretty much the core I believe.

Why are you all saying Sex Pistols?

The Stooges released their first album in 1967, and Sex Pistols released Nevermind The Bullocks in 1977?

Stooges are the godfathers of punk and by far the most important band.

No. That was the Velvet Underground. The Stooges relesed their first album in 1969.

The most important bands for punk?!?! The Stooges and the Velvet Underground.

Anyone who says the Sex Pistols is an idiot.

MC5, Velvet, Stooges, New York Dolls, Ramones. The Sex Pistols and The Clash came later, but they were very important too because they made punk-rock popular which wasn't the case before.

I also love this band a lot : The Only Ones and their song Another Girl, Another Planet,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P3vd6lL_uec

Pete Perrett rules

Ramones. The Sex Pistols and The Clash came later, but they were very important too because they made punk-rock popular which wasn't the case before.

The Clash brought their debut out in the same year as the Pistols, and both were only 1 year after the Ramones

Ramones. The Sex Pistols and The Clash came later, but they were very important too because they made punk-rock popular which wasn't the case before.

The Clash brought their debut out in the same year as the Pistols, and both were only 1 year after the Ramones

1 year is a lot in this case. Their influence on british punk is considerable : their performance in London in July 1976 encouraged the members of The Clash, The Damned or the Pistols to go into it.

Edited by Axingn'r

blink 182

they really set the standard for todays punk bands and I think that without them we wouldnt have a punk scene these days

You can say that, but Blink 182 would never have made that kind of music if it wasn't for Ramones, Sex Pistols, Stooges or whoever.

Personally I think Sex Pistols were the most important band for punk rock.