Most important bands for punk?

Wando

Guest Jack_the_ripper

The Clash, they may not have been the first on the punk music scene, but they'er roots are very different from the other punk scenes, influenced alot by what they were seeing kids rap on the streets and such. They defined and perfected the musical genre, and made it a viable musical genre, something the pistols never were able to achieve.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what everyone seems to be missing here is that the people who were orignally labelled punk, none of these motherfuckers sounded at all alike, patti smith, television, talking heads, the ramones, the voidoids, the dictators, the dead boys, the stooges, the dolls, it was about FREEDOM...the spirit of invention y'know? people seem to have missed this and think its about bands like the misfits and black flag whom, i agree, are amazing bands but...they fit the uniform aspect more which wasnt what punk orignally was. if you start looking into who all the aforementioned bands went onto influence, it is THEN that you start seeing what the orignal point was. look into bands like Alan Vegas Suicide, Public Image Limited, The Slits, these are the people that, to my mind seemed to be getting the point a little more than the sneering three chords lets get wrecked and act pissed off merchants.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

The Who and their whole mod movement was huge, just try and find anything similar to, and before, "My Generation". I see the Ramones as the major inventors of Punk however. Love me some Ramones, that may surprise some.

The Who and their whole mod movement was huge, just try and find anything similar to, and before, "My Generation". I see the Ramones as the major inventors of Punk however. Love me some Ramones, that may surprise some.

right! the standells, question mark and the mysterions, count five, all these immitations british invasion bands outta america who were the orignal garage bands and were the rough and ready alternative to the british leaders stood as somethin akin to the origins of punk too.

right! the standells, question mark and the mysterions, count five, all these immitations british invasion bands outta america who were the orignal garage bands and were the rough and ready alternative to the british leaders stood as somethin akin to the origins of punk too.

Yes, the Nuggets compilation.... The Beatles and The Stones reaching USA, that's how the "punk movement" began. :D

Edited by Axingn'r

Tracing the origins of Punk is very interesting to me, although I don't particularly enjoy it. It goes real far back. A good deal of it was already established with Chuck, Jerry Lee and co.

Tracing the origins of Punk is very interesting to me, although I don't particularly enjoy it. It goes real far back. A good deal of it was already established with Chuck, Jerry Lee and co.

its like i was sayin before. just basically rock n roll reminding itself what it was about again.

its like i was sayin before. just basically rock n roll reminding itself what it was about again.

You could also say that it was the re-embrace of most things separating Rock N' Roll from Blues. In this way I don't see the New York Dolls as a Punk band, the Blues influence was too heavy.

You could also say that it was the re-embrace of most things separating Rock N' Roll from Blues. In this way I don't see the New York Dolls as a Punk band, the Blues influence was too heavy.

never looked at it that way but you're fucking right! thinkin about it, even the stooges owe the blues immensely. i've always thought the blues should be called the balls. it always was the balls of rock n roll.

never looked at it that way but you're fucking right! thinkin about it, even the stooges owe the blues immensely. i've always thought the blues should be called the balls. it always was the balls of rock n roll.

I should start using that one! :lol:

The New York Dolls aren't considered as a punk-rock band, but they paved the way for other bands (Ramones, etc.). The Velvet Underground don't really sound as the Sex Pistols, but it's difficult to understand the punk movement if the VU isn't taken into consideration.

When Thunders left the New York Dolls he founded The Heartbreakers. That was a punk-rock band. And one of the best.

The New York Dolls aren't considered as a punk-rock band, but they paved the way for other bands (Ramones, etc.). The Velvet Underground don't really sound as the Sex Pistols, but it's difficult to understand the punk movement if the VU isn't taken into consideration.

When Thunders left the New York Dolls he founded The Heartbreakers. That was a punk-rock band. And one of the best.

i really think its one of those indefinable things the spirit is what matters and getting hung up on the semantic aspect tends to detract from that.

The Misfits

The Clash

The Ramones

Jesus titty fuckin christ, finally somebody around here who knows something about punk music.... I think even if you asked punk bands that were around then, and punk bands around now, they'd agree that the misfits and the band Henry Rollins was in? I'm stoned right now... cant think of it.. and the ramones and maybe a hand full of othe rbands are the sole reason punk's still around.. which I find funny because most will say the misfits led by Glenn Danzig was the forefront, and still to this day he acts as tho he despises that whole era in time... until recently reuniting with Doyle and I think one othe rmember.. again, stoned, cant remember...

The Misfits

The Clash

The Ramones

Jesus titty fuckin christ, finally somebody around here who knows something about punk music.... I think even if you asked punk bands that were around then, and punk bands around now, they'd agree that the misfits and the band Henry Rollins was in? I'm stoned right now... cant think of it.. and the ramones and maybe a hand full of othe rbands are the sole reason punk's still around.. which I find funny because most will say the misfits led by Glenn Danzig was the forefront, and still to this day he acts as tho he despises that whole era in time... until recently reuniting with Doyle and I think one othe rmember.. again, stoned, cant remember...

black flag?

The Misfits

The Clash

The Ramones

black flag?

Hey my honkey, thats it.. now that i'm sober it makes more sence than it did last night... funny how them things happen...

The Misfits

The Clash

The Ramones

I think even if you asked punk bands that were around then, and punk bands around now, they'd agree that the misfits and Black Flag and the ramones and maybe a hand full of other bands are the sole reason punk's still around.

Misfits were not important in the formation of punk.I don't know one single person who got involved in the scene as a direct influence of the Misfits.

They brought the Alice Cooper image into the fold moreso than others...and wrote some great songs in the process,not much else.

By the way,this leads to (coicindentally) the answer I've been meaning to post in this thread...EVERY single person who was involved in the punk scene in the 70's (that I ever met) was a huge Alice Cooper fan.I'm talking about the original Alice Cooper Band.

It didn't get much more antisocial in '73 (on a mainstream level) than Alice Cooper.It seems mild now but they were over the top outrageous back then,and everyone (that I ever met) who later formed the early punk scenes in their respective cities acknowledged they were fans.

John Lydon auditioned for the Sex Pistols singing along to I'm Eighteen on a jukebox...(I would have LOVED to be a fly on the wall to witness THAT!!).

Lydon is a HUGE Cooper fan,in fact...he contributes to the liner notes with a cool article in the Alice Cooper box set.

a few quotes..

"I've referred to the Sex Pistols as "musical vaudeville" and "evil burlesque" and,for me,there was definitely Alice influence there.And I'm very proud to say so,because,without that,I don't think I would have had that extra kick when I was young - and you do need that when you're younger,to mold you in the correct direction."

"Killer is the best rock record ever made,which,of course,followed the masterpiece Love It To Death..These two albums,put together,were just too much for an angst-ridden teenager such as myself to handle.I realized I never really wanted to make rock music because I thought those two records were the best it could be!And that's why I made sure the Pistols had a different approach.I didn't want to imitate a genre that I thought was so excellent.You can be influenced by people who excel,but you should never copy."

"I've never made it a secret how much I admire Alice Cooper.Some people may think it goes against the grain for me to say I'm an Alice Cooper fan.Good,it's supposed to."

I know exactly what he's talking about,a neighbour of mine introduced me to the Killer album in '71 and it blew my wee little mind!(I immediately went out and bought a copy of Hit Parader with Alice on the cover...and yes,I still have it!).My neighbour was so amused at my intense attraction to the album and the band that she gave me the album (CALENDAR AND ALL!!)..(yes,I still have the calendar!).

I can't explain to you in words why I became such a huge fan at such a young age (he's my all time rock god!).Looking back I tend to think that perhaps I viewed him as something that was mine (so to speak)...what I mean is,everyone around me thought he was a freak,in my neighbourhood Stones/Zep people roundly viewed him/them as a joke.

That was fine with me...so the cretins don't get it....their loss!

Plus I was completely captivated with the antisocial extreme dangerous (at that time) image.

A bunch of guys in a band with a chick's name ignited a huge social/religious/moral explosion.

I wasn't aware of all that at the time...nor did I care....it was cool as fuck and I totally got it (on a certain level,I didn't read more into until I was older).

That completely coincides with how I got into punk.It was a gig at a hall (the bands had to rent a hall,the bars were still too scared to let the bands play).The singer of the headlining band (the Demics) lived in my neighbourhood and he hung out with my older sisters.I'd been hearing a buzz about this band and was curious to see them.Myself and a few friends snuck in the side door.And the whole scene...the bands,the people on the floor smashing into each other,everything...had this insane intense electricity to it.It was an energy level and a rush I had not experienced since...well...the day my neighbour played Killer for me.

I connected with it,dove in head first...and was just as thrilled to find out that the punk scene was equally villified as Alice was (by the masses).Once again,I had managed to tap into a musical force that was dangerous,electrifying,chock full of brilliant songs (Bodies and Under My Wheels are two of my all time fav tunes),frowned upon by the "stiffs",and most impotantly...knocking the rock world on its collective ear!

And as I became entrenched in the punk scene,I was amazed to find out that everyone seemed to be of the same opinion about Alice Cooper...I never ever met a punk who slagged the original Alice Cooper band.

Their influence on punk is massive,and largely...unaccounted for.

The Misfits

The Clash

The Ramones

I think even if you asked punk bands that were around then, and punk bands around now, they'd agree that the misfits and Black Flag and the ramones and maybe a hand full of other bands are the sole reason punk's still around.

Misfits were not important in the formation of punk.I don't know one single person who got involved in the scene as a direct influence of the Misfits.

They brought the Alice Cooper image into the fold moreso than others...and wrote some great songs in the process,not much else.

By the way,this leads to (coicindentally) the answer I've been meaning to post in this thread...EVERY single person who was involved in the punk scene in the 70's (that I ever met) was a huge Alice Cooper fan.I'm talking about the original Alice Cooper Band.

It didn't get much more antisocial in '73 (on a mainstream level) than Alice Cooper.It seems mild now but they were over the top outrageous back then,and everyone (that I ever met) who later formed the early punk scenes in their respective cities acknowledged they were fans.

John Lydon auditioned for the Sex Pistols singing along to I'm Eighteen on a jukebox...(I would have LOVED to be a fly on the wall to witness THAT!!).

Lydon is a HUGE Cooper fan,in fact...he contributes to the liner notes with a cool article in the Alice Cooper box set.

a few quotes..

"I've referred to the Sex Pistols as "musical vaudeville" and "evil burlesque" and,for me,there was definitely Alice influence there.And I'm very proud to say so,because,without that,I don't think I would have had that extra kick when I was young - and you do need that when you're younger,to mold you in the correct direction."

"Killer is the best rock record ever made,which,of course,followed the masterpiece Love It To Death..These two albums,put together,were just too much for an angst-ridden teenager such as myself to handle.I realized I never really wanted to make rock music because I thought those two records were the best it could be!And that's why I made sure the Pistols had a different approach.I didn't want to imitate a genre that I thought was so excellent.You can be influenced by people who excel,but you should never copy."

"I've never made it a secret how much I admire Alice Cooper.Some people may think it goes against the grain for me to say I'm an Alice Cooper fan.Good,it's supposed to."

I know exactly what he's talking about,a neighbour of mine introduced me to the Killer album in '71 and it blew my wee little mind!(I immediately went out and bought a copy of Hit Parader with Alice on the cover...and yes,I still have it!).My neighbour was so amused at my intense attraction to the album and the band that she gave me the album (CALENDAR AND ALL!!)..(yes,I still have the calendar!).

I can't explain to you in words why I became such a huge fan at such a young age (he's my all time rock god!).Looking back I tend to think that perhaps I viewed him as something that was mine (so to speak)...what I mean is,everyone around me thought he was a freak,in my neighbourhood Stones/Zep people roundly viewed him/them as a joke.

Plus I was completely captivated with the antisocial extreme dangerous (at that time) image.

A bunch of guys in a band with a chick's name ignited a huge social/religious/moral explosion.

I wasn't aware of all that at the time...nor did I care....it was cool as fuck and I totally got it (on a certain level,I didn't read more into until I was older).

That completely coincides with how I got into punk.It was a gig at a hall (the bands had to rent a hall,the bars were still too scared to let the bands play).The singer of the headlining band (the Demics) lived in my neighbourhood and he hung out with my older sisters.I'd been hearing a buzz about this band and was curious to see them.Myself and a few friends snuck in the side door.And the whole scene...the bands,the people on the floor smashing into each other,everything...had this insane intense electricity to it.It was an energy level and a rush I had not experienced since...well...the day my neighbour played Killer for me.

I connected with it,dove in head first...and was just as thrilled to find out that the punk scene was equally villified as Alice was (by the masses).Once again,I had managed to tap into a musical force that was dangerous,electrifying,chock full of brilliant songs (Bodies and Under My Wheels are two of my all time fav tunes),frowned upon by the "stiffs",and most impotantly...knocking the rock world on its collective ear!

And as I became entrenched in the punk scene,I was amazed to find out that everyone seemed to be of the same opinion about Alice Cooper...I never ever met a punk who slagged the original Alice Cooper band.

Holy shit :o

I made this thread to get ideas/difrent opinions for a school project (with the same topic as this) where I'm supposed to use some article as my source. I think I just found my article :xmasssanta:

The Misfits

The Clash

The Ramones

a few quotes..

Holy shit :o

I made this thread to get ideas/difrent opinions for a school project (with the same topic as this) where I'm supposed to use some article as my source. I think I just found my article :xmasssanta:

DAMNED valid point zint :):):) he was really quite an influence on Jello Biafra too.he was necessary part of the evolution. in on the whole 60s thing (jimbo morrisons drinkin partner?) and kinda like...glam owes the guy and punk owes glam but as far as i can remember Alice was the first big one to give the make uppey thing a kind of a dark slant (as slants go, it was fuckin vertical really). i think john lydon even hosted a radio bio of ALice.

Jello Biafra was influenced by Alice??...I didn't know that!...cool!!

I'm a huge Jello/DK fan...so that makes perfect sense to me.

Many of Jello's lyrics are intended mockeries and a piss take,while shining a spotlight on serious and debatable topics.

Alice did the same thing with songs like Dead Babies..

Jello Biafra was influenced by Alice??...I didn't know that!...cool!!

I'm a huge Jello/DK fan...so that makes perfect sense to me.

Many of Jello's lyrics are intended mockeries and a piss take,while shining a spotlight on serious and debatable topics.

Alice did the same thing with songs like Dead Babies..

i usta know a coupla places where i could quote it but the main one i remember now is in punk attitude he says something along the lines of we took the horror of alice cooper but made it about real stuffs, instead of vampires n shit it was police brutality etc

• 2 weeks later...

In 1977, there was also some punk rock in Belgium. This guy is called Plastic Bertrand. He sings in French and this song was a huge hit ! I just wanted to let you know... :xmasssanta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulVH5peat0

This version is even better : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXDvLc2Eoko

Edited by Axingn'r