Pearl Jam pay tribute to The Who

axlslash

http://fuelfriendsblog.com/listenup/Love%2...ver,%20KISW.mp3

Absolutely spellbinding. Pearl Jam have put their own spin on a song so uniquely Who that I thought this kind of cover could never happen for it. Eddie Vedder belts it at least as well as The Who's Daltrey, and McCready is simply a better guitarist than Townshend. Pete is great, but McCready......just exceptional.

Absolutely spellbinding. Pearl Jam have put their own spin on a song so uniquely Who that I thought this kind of cover could never happen for it. Eddie Vedder belts it at least as well as The Who's Daltrey, and McCready is simply a better guitarist than Townshend. Pete is great, but McCready......just exceptional.

No one belts this song like Daltrey.. Better guitarist than Pete? Please..

I love Pete, don't get me wrong. I just prefer McCready's technique to his. I've seen em both (Pete twice, PJ once), and though Pete is a far superior performer as far as stage presence, McCready hands Pete his ass on a plate when it comes to pure musicianship. I love em both, and have nothing against Pete. I think Pete's an amazing guitar player, I just think McCready's extended solos own Pete's.

As for the singing, clearly Daltrey is better, but Vedder is on par with him on this one. Very, very well done.

Edited by axlslash

I love Pete, don't get me wrong. I just prefer McCready's technique to his. I've seen em both (Pete twice, PJ once), and though Pete is a far superior performer as far as stage presence, McCready hands Pete his ass on a plate when it comes to pure musicianship. I love em both, and have nothing against Pete. I think Pete's an amazing guitar player, I just think McCready's extended solos own Pete's.

As for the singing, clearly Daltrey is better

I disagree about Daltrey being a better singer, his vocal range is minimal at best, where as Vedder's is amazing.

And Both McCready and Gossard are better guitarists than townshend.

I disagree about Daltrey being a better singer, his vocal range is minimal at best, where as Vedder's is amazing.

Off the top of my head, Daltrey probably has a better range than Vedder does TBH. Not that singing is all about range anyway (see Mick Jagger).

More to the point, PJ have been covering other Who songs (like Baba O Reily) for years now. Not really something new or out there. ;)

I know they've done Baba for years, but they don't a) do studio versions of their covers (they also do Rockin in the Free World and Masters of War regularly, but haven't hit the studio with either of those; they also tag other songs onto the end of their own - i.e. doing a verse of Save It For Later durring the jam on Betterman), and B) they haven't done this one before. The only Who covers I've heard Ed do before are Baba and Behind Blue Eyes (which he did with Pete Townshend, so it aint quite a cover).

The Who hand Pearl Jam's ass to them on a plate through the songs they write...like Love Reign O'er Me.

You're kidding right? Pearl Jam's lyrics are the best out there.

I said songs...

You also said write. But I guess its respectable to say you prefer the Who as they are really a quintessential rock band.

Edited by pain cake

Mike McCready=Generic Hendrix

HAHAHAHA! :rofl-lol: Hendrix's style is dripping with an LSD sound and blues influence. McCready's, even though rooted in blues is totally void of it in the sound and a has a much more dirty tone.

Ever listened to Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter? It sounds exactly like Jimi's Little Wing except McCready admitted that there was absolutely no influence from that song into his dominating guitar part, it's the closest McCready ever came to listening like Hendrix.

Edited by pain cake

The Who hand Pearl Jam's ass to them on a plate through the songs they write...like Love Reign O'er Me.

I said songs...

You also said write. But I guess its respectable to say you prefer the Who as they are really a quintessential rock band.

That's what bands do...write songs.

I have no beef with Pearl Jam,they don't touch the Who though.

And I bet if you were to ask Eddie Vedder,I think he'd be the first to agree.

I said songs...

That's what bands do...write songs.

I have no beef with Pearl Jam,they don't touch the Who though.

And I bet if you were to ask Eddie Vedder,I think he'd be the first to agree.

I was just saying, Pearl jam write better lyrics (and songs) than the Who

Of course he'd agree, he wouldn't risk sounding royally up himself

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Mike McCready=Generic Hendrix

HAHAHAHA! :rofl-lol: Hendrix's style is dripping with an LSD sound and blues influence. McCready's, even though rooted in blues is totally void of it in the sound and a has a much more dirty tone.

Ever listened to Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter? It sounds exactly like Jimi's Little Wing except McCready admitted that there was absolutely no influence from that song into his dominating guitar part, it's the closest McCready ever came to listening like Hendrix.

Of course I've heard "Yellow Ledbetter", and if it's not "influenced" by Hendrix, well...

And who's talking about tone? What does tone mean here? Listen to McCready's lines, he plays in Hendrix's style.

If I'm not mistaken, Yellow Ledbetter is actually a tribute to Hendrix. I know I read an interview with McCready where he said that.

McCready, to me, is far too complex to be a mere ripoff of Hendrix. He takes bits and pieces from Hendrix, yeah, but he also does a lot of stuff that sounds like other people (grungy Neil Young, the occasional Clapton), but also does a lot that's his own. McCready really is a tremendous guitar player. He has his influences, and he has his own additions, and overall I wouldn't say he's unoriginal at all. Listen to him play accoustic. He really does do his own stuff.

I'm not knockin' on Pete, though. I love the guy.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I just find him to be unspectacular.

Have you heard any recent live Pearl Jam? He's like most bands I like: unspectacular in the studio, but put him in front of a packed stadium and he will blow your ass off.

I haven't.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gwAetDZ6988

This was probably the hilight of the show I was at back in May. McCready gets like 4 n a half minutes to rock out. It was a really impressive solo. It's not Clapton, and I've certainly heard better solos, but this one was damn good and pretty well blew the doors offa Chicago's United Center (which was to be expected - Eddie always puts on great shows when he comes home rock3 )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R0ux_BfHvRQ

Another fun tune from the 5-17-2006 show. Notice that Eddie jumps back when the vox come in 'cause the Chicago crowd was DEAFFENING. It was so loud that on Betterman, he just gave up and let the crowd sing the first verse and chorus. It was a the first verse ann amazing show to say the least.