Nine Inch Nails... Are they any good?

december pain

They are pretty damn good. My favourite album is Pretty Hate Machine.

Depends what you want out of them....Downward Spiral is their best album IMO, just don't start with the Fragile, it's pretty boring in most parts.

Pretty Hate Machine is a good start I think (it was my first).

I think they are a very good band indeed. the most popular song by them, Id say is "Hurt"....now for me - i cant stand that fucking song. drives me crazy.I cant even liston to it anymore .it's erm i dont know, im not saying there shit, but that song isant for me, you may like it on the other hand. as do ALOT!!! of people. my fave songs by them are as follows

Were in this togerther now

Every day is exactly the same

All the love in the world

Hand that feeds

Only

A very different sounding band. defo worth getting into IMO :)

Edited by Spark the determination

IMO, just don't start with the Fragile, it's pretty boring in most parts.

I have to disagree, as the Fragile was what really got me into NIN.

Now their one of my favorite bands ^_^

Well, each album has a different sound to it, so it really comes down to personal preference. Which is why I like to suggest the live album, as it gives you a little taste of each album. Except With Teeth and Year Zero. :huh::lol:

I really dig Trent's lyrics. March of the Pigs is one of the most chilling social commentaries that I've read in a long time. I don't dig the sound as much as many people. I like the more musical stuff - Hurt, Head Like a Hole, Hand That Feeds, etc - but a lot of the pure industrial comes off as noise to me. I do have a disc or two of theirs on my iPod and I'll listen to em from time to time, but overall I don't listen to em much. Definetly worth checking out, though.

"They," by which I mean Trent, are awesome. ;)

Seriously though, Trent's a very talented guy. I'd recommend starting with either Pretty Hate Machine or With Teeth, as both are pretty much instantly accessible and full of well-written pop industrial songs.

If you like those, then it's on to his masterpiece - The Downward Spiral. It's a grim, stark, and intense journey of a record, but it's easily one of my favorites of all time.

Finally, if you're feeling really ambitious, finish off with The Fragile. It's probably the most dense, plodding, and difficult album I've ever listened to, but don't pass it up - I think everyone has a unique reaction to this one, and even a few years after I've purchased it, I still don't quite know where I stand on it. Disc 2 is full of the most forgettable stuff Trent's ever written, but Disc 1... Wow. It's worth a purchase for that first side.

Edited by EccoTides

Yes.

You might want to start with the live album. :unsure:

definately, they're incredible live. i watched the all that could have been dvd for the first time in ages a few weeks ago and i cant belive how good they were. considering trent was at his most fucked up then, he never ceases to impress (though yah some of the tour was awful like the japan bootlegs are terrible). i think part of his appeal onstage was how fucked he was, it was like watching his breakdown onstage and his passion and anger was mesmorising.

i still think he has it, the new band are obv good musicians but lack that amazing energy they had during the fragile.

the fragile is their best album IMO. i love the instrumentals like la mer and complication.

trent truly is a genious, in the same way frank zappa was, his ability to construct songs was flawless, taking random noises and placing them in a song which made it beautiful and make sense of chaos.

anyways...i have standing tickets for brixton in march, cant frickin wait :heart:

I was never really able to get into NIN... Does anyone else get the impression that Trent goes and writes a good song, then tries to fit too many things in and ruins it? A perfect example would be Hurt. The Johnny Cash version, stripped of all the excess, is about a hundred times better than the original.

I was never really able to get into NIN... Does anyone else get the impression that Trent goes and writes a good song, then tries to fit too many things in and ruins it? A perfect example would be Hurt. The Johnny Cash version, stripped of all the excess, is about a hundred times better than the original.

how can you say Hurt has excess in it... its one of the most stripped down and simple NIN songs there is...

how can you say Hurt has excess in it... its one of the most stripped down and simple NIN songs there is...

exactly. it's so simple, johnny cash's version was more excessive.

and yes i think he fit a lot of "things" into his music, but that's genre specific. he formulated structure and beauty out of industrial chaos. the man is a beautiful song writer and person.