dirty pretty things

westcoast struttin'

i really love dirty pretty things. i think babyshambles is absolute shite.

i liked the libertines as well, but i think i like waterloo to anywhere better or as much as up the bracket although the latter is a tough act to follow....

anyhow, i'm wondering about something:

the brittish press seems to hate DPT and love babyshambles. my guess is it's b/c pete is the outspoken caricature of a rock dude: loads of drugs, super model girlfriend, gets arrested, talks shit about other atrists while he makes bad music, etc....

what do the fans think? are dirty pretty things really big, or are they struggling? i have no frame of reference for this as i live in america......

I think both bands pale in comparison to the original Libertines, whom I never had the pleasure of seeing live.

The Dirty Pretty Things are more of a straight ahead rock band. Nothing too creative or particularly interesting but fun enough to nod you head along to or put on if you were at a party. Babyshambles I think are a lot more interesting and from my experiences of seeing both of them live, a far better live band.

The British press don't hate DPT and love Shambles at all. It's much more the other way round. Doherty is completely hated in this country by the media. I think the DPT album had better reviews also.

I think both bands pale in comparison to the original Libertines, whom I never had the pleasure of seeing live.

The Dirty Pretty Things are more of a straight ahead rock band. Nothing too creative or particularly interesting but fun enough to nod you head along to or put on if you were at a party. Babyshambles I think are a lot more interesting and from my experiences of seeing both of them live, a far better live band.

The British press don't hate DPT and love Shambles at all. It's much more the other way round. Doherty is completely hated in this country by the media. I think the DPT album had better reviews also.

hmmm...

maybe you just hear more about doherty b/c of the "tabloid-esque" life he leads as opposed to hearing about his music.

i'm judging babyshambles based on the tune "fuck forever" and a few others i've heard that i thought were just complete shit.

i like every song on the DTP record, but i can see what you're saying about them being a "staight ahead" rock band....i do really like the way their guitars sound as well as the sort inter-weaving aspect as opposed to a straight forward "rhythm/lead" scenario. i also really like carl barat's lyrics. babyshambles just sounds like mediocre tunes with a bunch of weirdness over them to distract you from their mediocrity....

i saw the libertines years ago and really liked it, but havent seen babyshambles or DTP yet. the footage of babyshambles seems like they'd be interesting, whereas the DTP footage i've seen seems like i would leave after 4 songs.

hmmm...

maybe you just hear more about doherty b/c of the "tabloid-esque" life he leads as opposed to hearing about his music.

i'm judging babyshambles based on the tune "fuck forever" and a few others i've heard that i thought were just complete shit.

i like every song on the DTP record, but i can see what you're saying about them being a "staight ahead" rock band....i do really like the way their guitars sound as well as the sort inter-weaving aspect as opposed to a straight forward "rhythm/lead" scenario. i also really like carl barat's lyrics. babyshambles just sounds like mediocre tunes with a bunch of weirdness over them to distract you from their mediocrity....

i saw the libertines years ago and really liked it, but havent seen babyshambles or DTP yet. the footage of babyshambles seems like they'd be interesting, whereas the DTP footage i've seen seems like i would leave after 4 songs.

Just different opinions really, I kind of like the sound of Down in Albion where it sounds rough and as if it could fall apart at any moment, find the lyrics more personal and heartfelt and Pete is much more of a natural frontman and performer than Carl is.

I definately agree that you hear more about Babyshambles and Doherty because of his tabloid-esque lifestyle. He's the guy they love to hate. Wish that guy could wean himself off his addictions.

There's something about Doherty near everyday in the press but rarely about his music.

Dirty Pretty Things you'd hear next to nothing about unless you buy NME.

It's a good album but I wouldn't say it's as good as Up The Bracket and live, they don't have anywhere near the same energy as Babyshambles.

They are good live like, but nothing special. Pretty standard even. Great tunes still.

Babyshambles was one of the best live performances spectacles I've seen. Next to GNR.

Pete knows how to connect with crowd like no-one else I've seen, whereas Carl was almost...boring.

You should check out Albion Arks, you can get a load of bootlegs etc.. there.