Jam Bands

axlslash

I'm getting really into jam music lately. Stuff like The Grateful Dead and their spinoffs (Bob Wier & Rat Dog, Phil Lesh & Friends, etc), Moe., Umphrees McGee, The String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, etc. They just prove how boring molded shows are by comparison. It's all freeform expression - sort of the Picasso/abstract branch of music in a lot of ways. I really dig almost everything I've been listening to by those guys (mostly The Dead+spinoffs and Moe. lately), and just needed to voice my support of these guys after that other thread.

Any other hippies/Dead Heads out there?

I'm getting really into jam music lately. Stuff like The Grateful Dead and their spinoffs (Bob Wier & Rat Dog, Phil Lesh & Friends, etc), Moe., Umphrees McGee, The String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, etc. They just prove how boring molded shows are by comparison. It's all freeform expression - sort of the Picasso/abstract branch of music in a lot of ways. I really dig almost everything I've been listening to by those guys (mostly The Dead+spinoffs and Moe. lately), and just needed to voice my support of these guys after that other thread.

idk man, jam bands like the ones you mentioned just get so played out.......you know

you ought to go to instantlive.com and buy some Black Crowes shows from their summer '06 tour. they had some epic jams going on. Marc Ford was still in the band at that point. here's a link: http://instantlive.shop.musictoday.com/Dep...p=858_4575_9084

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
It's all freeform expression - sort of the Picasso/abstract branch of music in a lot of ways.

Uhhh, wouldn't that be Ornette Coleman too?

Read my thread for real. We listen to alot of the same shit. I love the Dead, call me a hippie and you won't be far off. But there's simply no such thing as "Jam" music. There's extended improvisation in all forms of music and there shouldn't be a term for it that only designates Rock bands. It's bullshit. I love the Black Crowes too. All of these bands are great, love em. I doubt they would like to be called "Jam Bands" though. Go to a Jazz club, it's the same shit. Hell, go to a Blues show. I'm sure there will be some pretty extended tunes. This is why the "Jam Band" term is bullshit.

It's all freeform expression - sort of the Picasso/abstract branch of music in a lot of ways.

Read my thread for real. We listen to alot of the same shit. I love the Dead, call me a hippie and you won't be far off. But there's simply no such thing as "Jam" music. There's extended improvisation in all forms of music and there shouldn't be a term for it that only designates Rock bands. It's bullshit. I love the Black Crowes too. All of these bands are great, love em. I doubt they would like to be called "Jam Bands" though. Go to a Jazz club, it's the same shit. Hell, go to a Blues show. I'm sure there will be some pretty extended tunes. This is why the "Jam Band" term is bullshit.

Thats true, its not like everything else follows strict terms, and most if not all rock songs ever written were composed in a jam session.

i agree that labels suck in general. but, you have to have some point of reference so that we know we're all talking about the same shit. i don't like the term "Hair-Metal" and i know the bands themselves hate that term, yet it does convey what you're specifically talking about. when axlslash used the term, "jam bands", i knew exactly what bands he was thinking of before i even clicked myself into the thread. so, while labels suck, they are useful. is there a better term for bands that commonly engage in this type of expression that you would prefer over "jam bands"? if so, let me know.

***edit***

btw, i just read my own post and i thought i might be coming across as an asshole. please know that was not the intent.

Edited by artfromtex

True though that is, there is no denying that "jam" is somewhat of its own genre. Take out the fact that jamming happens in all genres. What does "jazz" mean? What do "rocks" have to do with heavy drums and lots of guitars? Do all "blues" guitarists play blue guitars? Or is the Blue Man Group a "blues" band? The words in the lable don't explicitly exclude all forms of music from overlapping into it, its just one overreaching way to group similar bands together. I'm not saying that Ornette Coleman isn't amazing at free-form jazz, I'm not saying that blues music doesn't have extended soloing. Believe me, I go to enough blues shows to know that a good blues show doesn't even have to have distinguishable songs! When I say "jam," I mean bands in the jam genre, such as the Dead, Phish, String Cheese, Umphrees, Widespread Panic, Moe., and that type of music.