I'm interested in start playing guitar

Is it good to start with an acoustic first? They are cheaper :P

I like Les Pauls. The design mostly, but they seem nice to play on too. Is Epiphone Les Paul any good? Or aren't they good newbie guitars?

Can anyone give me more tips how to get started?

get an acoustic guitar...play on it 2 years and if you're any good, buy an electric guitar...that way you will 'earn' the

electric and it always a good start with acoustic...

p.s.

les pauls is amazing, epiphone is shit. (in my opinion.)

Edited by Rovim

Hm, two years with an acoustic? There goes my fast-learning-wish away! ;)

Why is Epiphone's version shitty?

LCG: Okay :) Well I've been interested for a little while now, and I think It'd be fun to start. On the last music lesson I was bored, so I grabbed an acousitc guitar and took out the notes for KOHD intro. It wasn't very hard, but I did it quite simple ;)

buy an acoustic guitar...start learning the basics...then learn some songs.

If you are still interested, buy a electric guitar. Cuz most of the people that start playing guitar, quit very quickly cuz "they arent that good" or "they cant play songs" or "their fingers hurts".

I'd agree with the previous post about starting acoustic.

They're cheaper for a start... 'cause let's face it... you might give up in anguish after three months when you realise you'll PROBABLY never be as good as Jimi Hendrix.

I learnt to play on a horrible old family heirloom acoustic with gnarly steel strings that I think had been on it for 15 years (cause no one else had dared play it). It sounded dreadful.

The action on it was horrendous, about a centimetre off the neck and my fingertips feel like that little hard lump on the side of your big toe to this day. It also went out of tune within about 10 minutes of my hard "shredding!"

It was torture but, ultimately, it was probably worth it.

When I finally bought myself an electric it became really easy overnight - though I'll never be Jimi Hendrix!

My recommendation is to buy the best steel strung acoustic you can afford. It's not as "sexy" as your "best mate's Les Paul copy", but when you go round his house for a shot, you'll piss all over him and make him look like a twatend.

Incidentally - I'd love a fucking Banjo too.

The microphone on my Mac picks up my acoustic. I feed it through Logic and add loads of effects and Hey! Presto! it's a dirty old Angus Young electric that picks up all my mistakes just lovely. I'd love to hear what a Banjo would do through it! - or a Mandolin (being my other future purchase)

Good luck whatever you choose to do!

EDIT: STEEL STRINGS DON'T NEED AN AMP. STEEL STRUNG GUITARS ARE A TAD MORE EXPENSIVE THOUGH. Don't waste your time with the nylons - they sound crap, unless you're a flamenco wizard.

Edited by murray_TH

Thanks for the advices! :)

Yes I know steel stringed sound a lot better. I'll think about it ;)

Hm, one thing (a very basic question, bare with me): When I played around with the acoustic, picking out the KOHD intro, the tunes I played were very near the beginning of the neck (close to the... body?). Later, I tried my new proud work on the electric quitar, and then the same tunes were on a very different position of the neck (nearer the middle of it). Oh well, it's probably because the electric has more "things" on the neck? I don't know what I wanted to ask here :P

Hm, one thing (a very basic question, bare with me): When I played around with the acoustic, picking out the KOHD intro, the tunes I played were very near the beginning of the neck (close to the... body?). Later, I tried my new proud work on the electric quitar, and then the same tunes were on a very different position of the neck (nearer the middle of it). Oh well, it's probably because the electric has more "things" on the neck? I don't know what I wanted to ask here :P

KOHD is tuned down a half step from EADGBE as far as I remember, mind. I think it's just G D C in the major from recollection... at the head end of the neck!!

KOHD is tuned down a half step from EADGBE as far as I remember, mind. I think it's just G D C in the major from recollection... at the head end of the neck!!

Hmm, okay. But I played my own version, no chords, just simple tones. Hm, nevermind! ;)

Found a very cheap steel stringed now, with many things included :D It seems good

Edited by DV_007

Hmm, okay. But I played my own version, no chords, just simple tones. Hm, nevermind! ;)

Found a very cheap steel stringed now, with many things included :D It seems good

That's cool. Let us know how you get on...

Everyone always goes "start on acoustic" first like some sort of mantra, but honestly, if you want to play electric, I say start on electric. Whether you start on electric or acoustic, I personally feel, makes a minimal difference. Depends on how dedicated you feel you are going to be towards it. I just go from personal experience as when I started, I knew a guitar player whom had been playing classical guitar for 3 years and after a year I was (without sounding arrogant) more technically proficient than him because I just had a better dedication to the instrument. Likewise, I've known guitarists who have been playing for a smaller period of time than me and are far greater than I shall probably ever be.

I don't know. I've played guitar for a few years now. I think two pieces of advice I can give is that, I feel if you put the effort into it, you will reap the rewards. Another is not to be put off by the talents of others. I know I'm much better at lead work than rhythm work for example, so I'm always envious of a good rhythm guitarist but I've found in many situations when they have been envious of me. So often I've had it where I've been "wow, you're a much better guitarist than me" and they've been "what? I was thinking the same thing about you!" or vice versa.

Just have fun and make noise.

acoustic guitars are harder to play. after a while of playing the skin on the end of your fingers gets thick. though its better to learn on a guitar thats harder to play because then when you mabe play in a band and you get a really good guitar it will be way easy to play and isnt as hard.

Update: I've ordered an acoustic now. A nylon stringed. I asked one of the site/shop experts, he recommended one for me.

This means I'll soon start making noises! ;)

Thanks for the support everyone! I may have more questions to ask soon ;) Hehe

Edited by DV_007

good man. the best advice if you're interested in playing guitar is to do what you've done - just get out there and start playing. the sooner you get a guitar and start playing, the better you'll get in a quicker time.

i personally started with a steel stringed acoustic, and have a deep loathing of electric guitars which is actually just jelously im sure. I know i have to work a damn sight harder on my guitar to do a good bend though. Lazy bastards on electric....*mutter*......effects pedals *mutter*......

get yourself guitar pro 5 from the internet, that will teach you how to play, and dont listen to people that tell you epiphone les pauls are shite, they are almost as good as gibson if you buy the custom les paul and change the pickups, gibsons are for name snobs with too much money, slash didnt use a gibson les paul for afd he used a copy and it still sounded good

Edited by scottish nutter

Yes I will start with the basic chords and all that :)

The first song I'll try (when I feel I can ;)) will be My Michelle, the intro. Other songs I want to learn is KOHD & Patience. Will take som time though, I'm afraid :P

scottish: yes I think I downloaded guitar pro or something like that to see all chords. But they were named quite wierd, like #8, 5 etc. which means I didn't recognize them. Shouldn't they be named G, C, A, Am... ?

Edited by DV_007

get yourself guitar pro 5 from the internet, that will teach you how to play, and dont listen to people that tell you epiphone les pauls are shite, they are almost as good as gibson if you buy the custom les paul and change the pickups, gibsons are for name snobs with too much money, slash didnt use a gibson les paul for afd he used a copy and it still sounded good

He's right.

Yes I will start with the basic chords and all that :)

The first song I'll try (when I feel I can ;)) will be My Michelle, the intro. Other songs I want to learn is KOHD & Patience. Will take som time though, I'm afraid :P

scottish: yes I think I downloaded guitar pro or something like that to see all chords. But they were named quite wierd, like #8, 5 etc. which means I didn't recognize them. Shouldn't they be named G, C, A, Am... ?

what that means is, the numbers are the frets on the guitar , like 1 is fret 1 or 8 is fret 8, the lines are the guitar strings, the bottom line on guitar pro is the thickest string on your guitar and the top line on guitar pro is the thin string on the guitar, so if the bottom line has fret 5 that menas hit the thickest string on fret 5, these are the notes toplay a song, maybe have a look for the sweet child of mine tab for guitar pro, you wont be able to play it very well yet but if you try it you will be able to tell thats what your playing and it may help you understand how to read tabs and the good thing about guitar pro is you can slow down the speed it plays the song to a speed thats easy for you to keep up with

hope this helps you rock2

Edited by scottish nutter