• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aerosmith

Fall Out Boy

Hinder

How can you hate Aerosmith?

I hate Aerosmith because not one time have I heard a song by them and been blown away musically. Then after thinking about the lyrics, I have come to the conclusion that Steven Tyler might just be the most overrated musician ever and should probably never do anything musically again for the rest of his life.

I hate Aerosmith because none of their songs in my opinion are better than average musically and are pathetic lyrically, yet they are considered to be one of th greatest rock bands ever. Steven Tyler alone is an overrated piece of musical crap; Aerosmith as a whole is an overrated piece of musical dog shit.

I hate Aerosmith because none of their songs in my opinion are better than average musically and are pathetic lyrically, yet they are considered to be one of th greatest rock bands ever. Steven Tyler alone is an overrated piece of musical crap; Aerosmith as a whole is an overrated piece of musical dog shit.

I agree whole heartedly on the lyrics. But you gotta admit, Steven Tyler's vocal range is phenomenal

Nirvana

Soundgarden (Wanna talk over rated front men? Chris fucking Cornell, the talentless prick)

Jet

Edited by pain cake

Aerosmith

Fall Out Boy

Hinder

I hate Aerosmith because not one time have I heard a song by them and been blown away musically. Then after thinking about the lyrics, I have come to the conclusion that Steven Tyler might just be the most overrated musician ever and should probably never do anything musically again for the rest of his life.

i cant believe what im reading. i'm goin out and get some air :lol:

velvet revolver

rolling stones

worthless bands

:o....fuck you :confused:

rolling stones worthless?!?!?! this gets worse. am i hallucinating??? if the rolling stones are worthless that throws rock n roll on its head...i mean i can understand them NOT being to ur taste but worthless?? as in of no value in music, thats just factually incorrect.

Aerosmith

Fall Out Boy

Hinder

It's an opinion buddy; learn to respect it.

And for argument's sake, since you probaly disagree with everything in my post, give me an example of some Steven Tyler lyrics that you think are phenominal. Since my taste does not appeal to songs talking about guys who look like girls(which might just be about himself), I will most likely consider whatever lyrics you believe to be phenominal as nothing more than white trash.

Aerosmith

Fall Out Boy

Hinder

It's an opinion buddy; learn to respect it.

And for argument's sake, since you probaly disagree with everything in my post, give me an example of some Steven Tyler lyrics that you think are phenominal. Since my taste does not appeal to songs talking about guys who look like girls(which might just be about himself), I will most likely consider whatever lyrics you believe to be phenominal as nothing more than white trash.

i didnt disrespect ur opinion, i jus differed dude. ok, for example, Janies Got A Gun has some WONDERFUL moments lyrically...its really bleak and theres a foreboding tone to it, its very subtle too in that it lets you know that the guy was fucked up to her but not...any real detail. it gives u little images, very stark notions/images (found him underneath the train, the man was such a sleaze *see thats suggestive yet blunt but not explicit*, and the whole dum dum dum honey what have you done? thing, its...haunting, vaguely) , to piece together and thats like...the best kinda music cuz it makes ur mind work too.

rock n roll lyrics, orignally were not like...im just not sure what you expect lyrically? orignal rock n roll, as it began was about cars, girls, and having fun and looking cool and thats what a lotta aerosmiths lyrics are about i mean rock n roll music, johnny be goode, rocket 88, good golly miss molly, long tall sally, dizzy miss lizzie, rock around the clock, 20 flight rock and all these orignal american rock n roll classics, they werent these big deep life changing philosophical musings, they were about fun basically, as are aerosmith.

he also has a GREAT talent for taking like...almost cliched things to say, cool things and pieces them together, kinda like kurt cobain said he did with the song Dive and makes these cool songs (hot tramp, daddys little cutey, never see ya leavin by the backdoor man). he has a great grasp on americana and this is reflected really well in his music (Axl has this too at times). his delivery is great, inimitable even, he can deliver a ballad like no one else, has a decent vocal range. he's kickin' on the harmonica has a good grasp of the blues which is basically the heart n soul of all american music. he's got this...quality to his delivery that makes the whole thing come across as REALLY protean, kinda the dolemite movies where Dolemite gathers people in the street and does those little raps, its americana, its wonderful! he's got an inimitable stamp to his vocal quality that i could recognise in a 1,000 man choir. and i dunno how the term white trash is at all relevant...whats race got to do with it?!?! its music.

and to the guy who says the beatles n stones suck well...if they suck then that means the very foundations of post war western music sucks because without em...a lotta motherfuckers wouldnt be around. i'd go so far as to say the world'd be a very different place without em. n not just musically.

Edited by frankwhite

Does it have to be a band? If not I'd have to say any three rap groups.. I hate them all equally.. just as much as the next one... if it ha sto be aband..

Nickleback

Hinder

Evanessence

Not really in that order, because I would rather peel my face off and tear my ears out and eat them before dying everytime I have to listen to evenessence.. but Nickleback does the same thing... and I just dont like hinder.. this isn't fair asshole, I hate so many and you make me pick three. goddamn you.. you and the man you work for...

Does it have to be a band? If not I'd have to say any three rap groups.. I hate them all equally.. just as much as the next one... if it ha sto be aband..

Nickleback

Hinder

Evanessence

Not really in that order, because I would rather peel my face off and tear my ears out and eat them before dying everytime I have to listen to evenessence.. but Nickleback does the same thing... and I just dont like hinder.. this isn't fair asshole, I hate so many and you make me pick three. goddamn you.. you and the man you work for...

dont front oog's, u know ur a closet hip hop head really :lol:

ok, for example, Janies Got A Gun has some WONDERFUL moments lyrically...its really bleak and theres a foreboding tone to it, its very subtle too in that it lets you know that the guy was fucked up to her but not...any real detail. it gives u little images, very stark notions/images (found him underneath the train, the man was such a sleaze *see thats suggestive yet blunt but not explicit*, and the whole dum dum dum honey what have you done? thing, its...haunting, vaguely) , to piece together and thats like...the best kinda music cuz it makes ur mind work too.

I asked you for an example and I got a good one. Thankyou. I actually do not mind Janie's got a gun. It's actually one of the few Aerosmith songs I enjoy. It seems different than their other songs.

he also has a GREAT talent for taking like...almost cliched things to say, cool things and pieces them together, kinda like kurt cobain said he did with the song Dive and makes these cool songs (hot tramp, daddys little cutey, never see ya leavin by the backdoor man). he has a great grasp on americana and this is reflected really well in his music (Axl has this too at times).
All the songs you mentioned have the same underlying "theme" about them. But obviously as you stated they were an original rock band and made music about having fun and girls. But their never seems to be any difference in their music other than "Dream On" and "Janie's Got a Gun".

his delivery is great, inimitable even, he can deliver a ballad like no one else, has a decent vocal range.

I disagree with this part, especially what I placed in bold...If you consider "dream On" to be a ballad then in my opinion he has one good ballad. they didn't even write "I don't wanna miss a thing", correct?

he's kickin' on the harmonica has a good grasp of the blues which is basically the heart n soul of all american music. he's got this...quality to his delivery that makes the whole thing come across as REALLY protean, kinda the dolemite movies where Dolemite gathers people in the street and does those little raps, its americana, its wonderful! he's got an inimitable stamp to his vocal quality that i could recognise in a 1,000 man choir.

I've never seen these movies. Sorry. Unfortunately I pay attention much more to the lyrics than the delivery, voice, pitch, or musical ability on other instruments. Those are good skills to have, after the lyrics are solid.

and i dunno how the term white trash is at all relevant...whats race got to do with it?!?! its music.

I was out of place to say that. Once again, sorry.

Here's my main problem with Aerosmith's music, I don't necessarily enjoy the sex, drugs, and rocknroll idea. I don't enjoy listening to songs based off of sex, drugs, and rocknroll. I honestly do not enjoy Appetite other than Sweet Child of Mine and Paradise City. Paradise City is of course the exception. Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, etc. do not appeal to me musically. I have numerous times on this forum stated that in my opinion I think "Welcome to the Jungle" is the most overrated song in the history of music. It just does not appeal to me.

I love Guns N' Roses because of "Patience", "Yesterdays", "Estranged", "November Rain", "Knocking on Heavens Door", "Dead Horse", "Breakdown" and others. The ROlling Stones have many songs that fall into the category of sex, drugs, and rocknroll; but songs like "Angie", "Sympathy for the Devil", and others make me appreciate what they were capable of from my musical taste.

AC/DC is a band that I consider to be overrated. To me, it seems every song has the same hard rock sex and rocknroll mentality. I respect it and I realize that without these bands GNR probably would not exist, but I still consider AC/DC along with Aerosmith to be overrated because they do not appeal to my musical tastes. Maybe I shouldn't judge on my musical taste because of bias. But the fact that Aerosmith and AC/DC rarely stray away from the normal "rocknroll theme", and when they do I do not think very much of the songs, I don't necessarily enjoy the bands.

It's just not my type of music, not my type of lyrics. The music behind the lyrics isn't so great that it can stick out more than the unappealing lyrics. But the lyrics are only unappealing to my taste.

And when I say "hate" I do't hate them because they did something to me. I really don't have a choice. My musical taste almost forces me to hate listening to them on the radio. If we could include four or five bands that we hate, I would have put AC/dc in the list.

Edited by 3rd Wheel

3rd wheel, youve made very good points, and like Sandman said on the 1st page, Its all down to opinion.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and thats what makes us all different.

Opinions are what forums are for, so you can discuss them, but not to a point where it becomes personal.

ok, for example, Janies Got A Gun has some WONDERFUL moments lyrically...its really bleak and theres a foreboding tone to it, its very subtle too in that it lets you know that the guy was fucked up to her but not...any real detail. it gives u little images, very stark notions/images (found him underneath the train, the man was such a sleaze *see thats suggestive yet blunt but not explicit*, and the whole dum dum dum honey what have you done? thing, its...haunting, vaguely) , to piece together and thats like...the best kinda music cuz it makes ur mind work too.

I asked you for an example and I got a good one. Thankyou. I actually do not mind Janie's got a gun. It's actually one of the few Aerosmith songs I enjoy. It seems different than their other songs.

he also has a GREAT talent for taking like...almost cliched things to say, cool things and pieces them together, kinda like kurt cobain said he did with the song Dive and makes these cool songs (hot tramp, daddys little cutey, never see ya leavin by the backdoor man). he has a great grasp on americana and this is reflected really well in his music (Axl has this too at times).
All the songs you mentioned have the same underlying "theme" about them. But obviously as you stated they were an original rock band and made music about having fun and girls. But their never seems to be any difference in their music other than "Dream On" and "Janie's Got a Gun".

his delivery is great, inimitable even, he can deliver a ballad like no one else, has a decent vocal range.

I disagree with this part, especially what I placed in bold...If you consider "dream On" to be a ballad then in my opinion he has one good ballad. they didn't even write "I don't wanna miss a thing", correct?

he's kickin' on the harmonica has a good grasp of the blues which is basically the heart n soul of all american music. he's got this...quality to his delivery that makes the whole thing come across as REALLY protean, kinda the dolemite movies where Dolemite gathers people in the street and does those little raps, its americana, its wonderful! he's got an inimitable stamp to his vocal quality that i could recognise in a 1,000 man choir.

I've never seen these movies. Sorry. Unfortunately I pay attention much more to the lyrics than the delivery, voice, pitch, or musical ability on other instruments. Those are good skills to have, after the lyrics are solid.

and i dunno how the term white trash is at all relevant...whats race got to do with it?!?! its music.
I was out of place to say that. Once again, sorry.

Here's my main problem with Aerosmith's music, I don't necessarily enjoy the sex, drugs, and rocknroll idea. I don't enjoy listening to songs based off of sex, drugs, and rocknroll. I honestly do not enjoy Appetite other than Sweet Child of Mine and Paradise City. Paradise City is of course the exception. Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, etc. do not appeal to me musically. I have numerous times on this forum stated that in my opinion I think "Welcome to the Jungle" is the most overrated song in the history of music. It just does not appeal to me.

I love Guns N' Roses because of "Patience", "Yesterdays", "Estranged", "November Rain", "Knocking on Heavens Door", "Dead Horse", "Breakdown" and others. The ROlling Stones have many songs that fall into the category of sex, drugs, and rocknroll; but songs like "Angie", "Sympathy for the Devil", and others make me appreciate what they were capable of from my musical taste.

AC/DC is a band that I consider to be overrated. To me, it seems every song has the same hard rock sex and rocknroll mentality. I respect it and I realize that without these bands GNR probably would not exist, but I still consider AC/DC along with Aerosmith to be overrated because they do not appeal to my musical tastes. Maybe I shouldn't judge on my musical taste because of bias. But the fact that Aerosmith and AC/DC rarely stray away from the normal "rocknroll theme", and when they do I do not think very much of the songs, I don't necessarily enjoy the bands.

It's just not my type of music, not my type of lyrics. The music behind the lyrics isn't so great that it can stick out more than the unappealing lyrics. But the lyrics are only unappealing to my taste.

And when I say "hate" I do't hate them because they did something to me. I really don't have a choice. My musical taste almost forces me to hate listening to them on the radio. If we could include four or five bands that we hate, I would have put AC/dc in the list.

I think the main part of where we differ is that I don't really THAT much credit to the lyrics. OK, lemme rephrase that, I think lyrics take a backseat to music. Not just a backseat either, the 6 rows back seat. Think about when ur a kid, a baby (not like goo goo gah gah and droolin, a kid, u know what I mean) and ur like 3 or 4 listenin to music, u don't know what the motherfuckers sayin, it's the sound that makes you move, and THAT is basically what its based on. The basic thing that I think we differ on is that u don't dig that whole sex drugs and rock n roll thing which I think is fucking great, its existentialist, its living for the moment, the way I think life should be. Im not anti-the deep shit but I think the sex drugs n rock n roll bit is just as important. But not as much as the music. That's why its called “listening to music” otherwise motherfuckers woulda stuck to poetry. I've always thought anyway that 99.9% of lyrics in popular music, especially when they try and get deep just come across as really really REALLY 3rd rate poetry (except for certain genres like the blues which was basically by semi-literate people and it was just stark and honest and through that it rendered a kinda poetic quality because it seemed almost to be moulded to the music in a kind of call and response form, like the blues singers talkin to his guitar, playing it almost like percussively which I guess kinda makes sense that whole the blues came from africa and the drum being a communication tool thing but im straying waaaaay off the fuckin point here) when I want poetry I read rimbaud of baudeliere y'know, I don't put on a rock record. That said I dig the doors too, I dig love songs, I dig all kindsa songs. You can have the most musically fucking addictive song and the lyrics will suck dick and I bet'cha you'll find urself walking down the street humming urself thinking, goddamn I wish I could get that fucking shit out of my head and THAT is the power of music, music does that, not lyrics. AC/DC, in terms of the music, is FUCKING addictive to me, they REALLY are...riffs like whole lotta rosie, fuckin forget about it I can take that shit to my grave with me. And a lotta the time also, deep type lyrics can be fuckin preachy and kinda insulting, u know the greatest songs in the world with a message putting something across in a poetic sense aint tellin u shit u don't really already know and its like a rephrased version of the advice your parents gave u, or just plain whining...but im self indulgent like everyone else so I dig that shit too but here, lemme give u an example.

We all come in from the cold

We come down from the wire

An everybody warms themselves

to a different fire

When sometimes we get burned

You'd think sometime we'd learn

The one you love is the one

That should take you higher

You ain't got no one

You better go back out and find um

Just like children hidin' in a closet

Can't tell what's goin' on outside

Sometimes we're so far off the beaten track

We'll get taken for a ride

By a parlor trick or some words of wit

A hidden hand up a sleeve

To think the one you love

could hurt you now

Is a little hard to believe

But everybody darlin' sometimes

Bites the hand that feeds

When I look around

Everybody always brings me down

Well is it them or me

Well I just can't see

But there ain't no peace to found

But if someone really cared

Well they'd take the time to spare

A moment to try and understand

Another one's despair

Remember in this game we call life

That no one said it's fair

Im sure u recognise that now my question is, as rock n roll goes, this bit of this particular song aint riffin on the sex drugs n rock n roll aspect and what do u really gain out of it lyrically I mean tell us something we don't already know motherfucker (axl, not you). To be honest with you, the majority of communication done from guns n roses to me was thru Slash solo's as opposed to any lyrics (im really over-deflating the importance of lyrics here) cuz y'know, words u can't understand, they have a meaning, sure u can interpret different shit from em but to a point they're locked. Music on the other hand, its all urs and it can mean and make u feel a million different things a day, that's the beauty of it and it means something different to everybody everytime and THATS timeless, lyrics on the other hand have a meaning and theres only so many intepretations u can apply till they're exhausted.

Having said all that, the sex drugs and rock n roll thing, if ur gonna REALLY get it u should be living it and just taking it lyrically and listening to all this debauchery on the way to ur 9 to 5 every morning is kinda well limp. I do see ur point. Wow, ramble.

music to me comes first because sound and communicating to sound and not sound that has any kinda fixed explicit meaning either is something primal and...relates to the earliest communications of the human expierience...we werent born with a language we taught ourselves those. sound was the first form of communication and something in our evolution as beings still responds to sound that has no precise meaning in the way words do.

Edited by frankwhite