Tommy Hilfiger Tells "new" Version Of Axl Fistfight

madison

DATE: April 1, 2007

SOURCE: Sunday Times Gloss Magazine

An article, entitled "Talking Tommy," appeared in the April 1 edition of the Sunday Times' Gloss Magazine, where it profiles fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger. In the article, the reporter asked Hilfiger about his fistfight with Axl Rose at a NYC nightclub last year, and he responded with a new version of what happened that night. Here's an excerpt from the article:

.....So does he ever worry what a "very chic client" might think about him beating up certain red haired rock stars? Hilfiger smiles.

"You wanna know what really happened?" He leans forward. "I'll tell you. I was sitting in a club with my brother Andy and Lenny Kravitz and a very beautiful woman. Axl came in and became belligerent."

Rose, he says, tried to squeeze in and push past him in order to get the woman's attention. Hilfiger claims that when he became "protective", Rose took the woman's drink and slammed it on the table. "I said Excuse me, that was really rude ," says Hilfiger. "And he said F**k you ." Hilfiger grins. "And I said Well, f**k you ." Then Axl said, "I'm gonna show you who I am". "He pulled his fist back, and he had this big ring on," says Hilfiger. "And I thought If this guy hits me, I'm gonna lose my teeth. So I lunged out of my seat and I went BOOM!"

Hilfiger jumps out of his seat and punches the air. "And I hit him in the eye, and then," Hilfiger laughs, "he got crazy! He totally lost control, and my bodyguard stepped in and his bodyguard stepped in, and the bodyguards got into a fight. Finally, my bodyguard said We're getting out of here, and he picked me up and carried me out of the club."

Rose's version is that Hilfiger hit him after he moved the woman's drink so as not to spill it as he sat down. Either way, Rose became another in a series of people who've made the grave mistake of underestimating him. "I think he thought This faggy designer is not gonna give me any trouble ," says Hilfiger. "So, you know," he smiles and shrugs. "Now he knows otherwise."

Related forum discussion:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=92675