What is rock n' roll to you?

FunkyMonk

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
^This coming from a Rock fan as well, don't forget that.
I am a Blues musician, do you think most people I play for really understand where the music is coming from?

...of COURSE not!

I hate to say it, but most of the enthusiasm with which rock fans enjoy Led Zeppelin's blues material is the product of ignorance. Especially on the first two albums, their attempts at blues are simply embarrassing. Faked southern accents and shoddy harmonica playing is not good when compared with the real thing.
well us simple rock folk wouldn't know anything about that...hyuk hyuk
You can really fuck off with all that purist shit.

yeah I'll stand here steadfast if it's ok with you

I don't know if it's even worth responding to these replies. I will address one thing though.

Most (most!) people familiar with Led Zeppelin, are not familiar with real Blues music. That is not to say that all "rock folk" are ignorant in that way, but it is the tendency of the majority. I don't feel like Led Zeppelin's straight ahead Blues material is very special, and I do feel that if most listeners were familiar with the originals, they would agree with me. Now, of course, that's an opinion of mine.

Please, don't accuse me of being a purist who is out to insult all fans of Rock music. I am a very big fan of Rock music myself, so that wouldn't make much sense would it? I've brought up Guns N' Roses with Jazz players I know, I'm not ashamed, it's all the same team in my mind.

Now, now, if we can set aside my ideas about Led Zeppelin and the Blues for a moment, which are really irrelevant here:

Rock and Roll, early on, was a beautiful fusion of some of the country and blues sounds going on in America at the time. It was also informed by a sense of youth and rebellion that was new to the mainstream. These ideals fueled everything from Chuck Berry's tales of cars to the Beatles pacifism to the anger of Punk in the late 1970s and the darkness of Heavy Metal throughout the last three decades or so. In the process, Rock has become the music of white America. And, at least where I'm from, white America includes a whole lot of racist idiots. I've been told "Fuck rap, listen to metal, you're white" both literally, and in other words, many times. This kind of attitude is far too prevalent amongst Rock listeners. And it's a shame, especially because Rock music was largely created by black performers. This kind of ignorance, I feel, is in a league of it's own. You could point to the legions of aspiring Gangsters spawned from Rap, but the sheer amount of ignorant Rock fans of this kind outweigh them. What we have now is many people listening to Rock music, and taking in the general aggressiveness of it, and seeing it as another confirmation of their machismo. System of a Down is played at high school football games, and pro-war friends of mine rave about "B.Y.O.B.", there is a level of confusion in Rock music that isn't seen elsewhere.

I love the music, and all I am meaning to say is that it's unfortunate that so much of it is misunderstood and taken the wrong way.

I hope I was able to explain myself pretty clearly, honestly I don't understand why so many of you have become offended. Maybe you live in a different kind of area than I do.

ooh, so the majority of white people are ignorant, especially if they dont like rap music? Thats alittle, fuckin ignorant dont you think? So what? They dont like black people.. the over-whelming majority of them are loud and obnouxios, and I know black people, who will look at these kinda people and say "man I cant fuckin stand black folk, they're so goddamn ignorant".. does that make them ignorant too? No, of course not.. theyre well educated respectiable black people, but you let me, or any other white dude say I cant stand black people, all the sudden we're ignorant.. did you ever stop to think, that maybe, you're the ignorant one? I mean, hell.. anybody can go to school and learn some shit, but common goddamn sence and deciancy is something you have to teach yourself, something alot of people are lacking in... but really, just fuckin stop, and look at yourself, and maybe, see that maybe, you're the ignorant one, for not atleast getting to know the person.. so what he dont like black people.. if you bring a well dressed black person to their house, and he shows recpect to the person, he will get respect back... thats so fuckin typical of a fuckin wigger to call somebody ignorant, because they're white and dont listen to rap, and the biggest reason most people give is, because they said the N word, or they dont like black people, yeah, well fuck you.. I don;t have a problem with black people, I have a problem with everybody, I just happen to hate white and black people who act all gangsta and are loud and annoying, more than other's.. does that make me ignorant? Doe sit make anybody ignorant.. if so, then you're just as fuckin ignorant..

I don;t think a single person doesnt know that black people are the one's who created rock music, and the blues and jazz... I don;t think anybody said any different, the thing people are crawling your ass about is being fuckin racist towards white people, you say it's white america's music, and atleats in your part white america contains abunch of ignorant motherfucker's.. thats what's pissing people off, and thats some racist fuckin shit I ever heard it.. judging people's intellegence based soley on their music, and basing your ideal's on a musical genre just because you think everybody is stupid that listens to it, or oh, i'm sorry, just the majority of us.. thats alittle fucked up aint it? Jo, not to you...

And you do not wanna compare intellegence in rock/metal and rap/hip-hop.. because hip-hop and rap have only been big for so long, and it's producing stupid people in record fuckin number's there leroy,. so wont you go sit down somewhere and be stupid away from me..

Asfar as the music goes, I think that the people who listen to true, rock and true metal, are alot fuckin smarter than u give us credit for, there's a difference between my chemical romance and Pink Floyd, there's a whole world of differnce between takin back sunday and The Marshall tucker band or say, a real heavy metal band like dimmu borgir or arch enemy, even slipknot... "I havent the slightest, why i'm teaching your brightest".. isn't just a line, read the fuckin report on there smartass, more smart people are listening to heavy metal and hard rock, than Jazz or Blue's and classical..lmao.. and Rap.. well, Rap's number's were so low they didnt make it into teh report... so you may wanna rethink your previous ignorant fuckin statement.. now, go somewhere else and be stupid

You made your short statments pretty long :P

Sometimes you just have more to say than what u thought..

Sometimes you have -_-

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I am a Blues musician, do you think most people I play for really understand where the music is coming from?

...of COURSE not!

I hate to say it, but most of the enthusiasm with which rock fans enjoy Led Zeppelin's blues material is the product of ignorance. Especially on the first two albums, their attempts at blues are simply embarrassing. Faked southern accents and shoddy harmonica playing is not good when compared with the real thing.

I don't know if it's even worth responding to these replies. I will address one thing though.

Most (most!) people familiar with Led Zeppelin, are not familiar with real Blues music. That is not to say that all "rock folk" are ignorant in that way, but it is the tendency of the majority. I don't feel like Led Zeppelin's straight ahead Blues material is very special, and I do feel that if most listeners were familiar with the originals, they would agree with me. Now, of course, that's an opinion of mine.

Please, don't accuse me of being a purist who is out to insult all fans of Rock music. I am a very big fan of Rock music myself, so that wouldn't make much sense would it? I've brought up Guns N' Roses with Jazz players I know, I'm not ashamed, it's all the same team in my mind.

Now, now, if we can set aside my ideas about Led Zeppelin and the Blues for a moment, which are really irrelevant here:

Rock and Roll, early on, was a beautiful fusion of some of the country and blues sounds going on in America at the time. It was also informed by a sense of youth and rebellion that was new to the mainstream. These ideals fueled everything from Chuck Berry's tales of cars to the Beatles pacifism to the anger of Punk in the late 1970s and the darkness of Heavy Metal throughout the last three decades or so. In the process, Rock has become the music of white America. And, at least where I'm from, white America includes a whole lot of racist idiots. I've been told "Fuck rap, listen to metal, you're white" both literally, and in other words, many times. This kind of attitude is far too prevalent amongst Rock listeners. And it's a shame, especially because Rock music was largely created by black performers. This kind of ignorance, I feel, is in a league of it's own. You could point to the legions of aspiring Gangsters spawned from Rap, but the sheer amount of ignorant Rock fans of this kind outweigh them. What we have now is many people listening to Rock music, and taking in the general aggressiveness of it, and seeing it as another confirmation of their machismo. System of a Down is played at high school football games, and pro-war friends of mine rave about "B.Y.O.B.", there is a level of confusion in Rock music that isn't seen elsewhere.

I love the music, and all I am meaning to say is that it's unfortunate that so much of it is misunderstood and taken the wrong way.

I hope I was able to explain myself pretty clearly, honestly I don't understand why so many of you have become offended. Maybe you live in a different kind of area than I do.

ooh, so the majority of white people are ignorant, especially if they dont like rap music? Thats alittle, fuckin ignorant dont you think? So what? They dont like black people.. the over-whelming majority of them are loud and obnouxios, and I know black people, who will look at these kinda people and say "man I cant fuckin stand black folk, they're so goddamn ignorant".. does that make them ignorant too? No, of course not.. theyre well educated respectiable black people, but you let me, or any other white dude say I cant stand black people, all the sudden we're ignorant.. did you ever stop to think, that maybe, you're the ignorant one? I mean, hell.. anybody can go to school and learn some shit, but common goddamn sence and deciancy is something you have to teach yourself, something alot of people are lacking in... but really, just fuckin stop, and look at yourself, and maybe, see that maybe, you're the ignorant one, for not atleast getting to know the person.. so what he dont like black people.. if you bring a well dressed black person to their house, and he shows recpect to the person, he will get respect back... thats so fuckin typical of a fuckin wigger to call somebody ignorant, because they're white and dont listen to rap, and the biggest reason most people give is, because they said the N word, or they dont like black people, yeah, well fuck you.. I don;t have a problem with black people, I have a problem with everybody, I just happen to hate white and black people who act all gangsta and are loud and annoying, more than other's.. does that make me ignorant? Doe sit make anybody ignorant.. if so, then you're just as fuckin ignorant..

I don;t think a single person doesnt know that black people are the one's who created rock music, and the blues and jazz... I don;t think anybody said any different, the thing people are crawling your ass about is being fuckin racist towards white people, you say it's white america's music, and atleats in your part white america contains abunch of ignorant motherfucker's.. thats what's pissing people off, and thats some racist fuckin shit I ever heard it.. judging people's intellegence based soley on their music, and basing your ideal's on a musical genre just because you think everybody is stupid that listens to it, or oh, i'm sorry, just the majority of us.. thats alittle fucked up aint it? Jo, not to you...

And you do not wanna compare intellegence in rock/metal and rap/hip-hop.. because hip-hop and rap have only been big for so long, and it's producing stupid people in record fuckin number's there leroy,. so wont you go sit down somewhere and be stupid away from me..

Asfar as the music goes, I think that the people who listen to true, rock and true metal, are alot fuckin smarter than u give us credit for, there's a difference between my chemical romance and Pink Floyd, there's a whole world of differnce between takin back sunday and The Marshall tucker band or say, a real heavy metal band like dimmu borgir or arch enemy, even slipknot... "I havent the slightest, why i'm teaching your brightest".. isn't just a line, read the fuckin report on there smartass, more smart people are listening to heavy metal and hard rock, than Jazz or Blue's and classical..lmao.. and Rap.. well, Rap's number's were so low they didnt make it into teh report... so you may wanna rethink your previous ignorant fuckin statement.. now, go somewhere else and be stupid

Like too many people around here, you insist on portraying my ideas in the extreme.

Anyone who tells me what music I should listen to on the basis of my race, is ignorant. I don't think there's any way around that.

Most people see Rock and Roll as the music of the white man, I don't think you are right there at all. Most people don't know where different styles of music come from. I'm not basing my ideals on Rock and Roll around any of this, I'm just stating that it's unfortunate that the music is so often misinterpreted. The fact that blatant racists are very often Rock fans is disturbing to me. I don't think Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Bo Diddley like it either.

Sorry, but I think more people at least understand the kind of philosophies that are behind Rap. There are of course, many who get Rap wrong as well, but there are people who can relate to the lyrics, and then there are others who are attracted to the sense of pride and consciousness in much of it, and although we make fun of white Rap listeners a good deal, it's pretty noble of them to see value in these ideas beyond racial and social lines. Of course, you'll tell me how 50 Cent and Co. are all about the lifestyles of gun-toting misogynists, but you know there's a lot more to it than that.

...of COURSE not!

Like too many people around here, you insist on portraying my ideas in the extreme.

Anyone who tells me what music I should listen to on the basis of my race, is ignorant. I don't think there's any way around that.

Most people see Rock and Roll as the music of the white man, I don't think you are right there at all. Most people don't know where different styles of music come from. I'm not basing my ideals on Rock and Roll around any of this, I'm just stating that it's unfortunate that the music is so often misinterpreted. The fact that blatant racists are very often Rock fans is disturbing to me. I don't think Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Bo Diddley like it either.

Sorry, but I think more people at least understand the kind of philosophies that are behind Rap. There are of course, many who get Rap wrong as well, but there are people who can relate to the lyrics, and then there are others who are attracted to the sense of pride and consciousness in much of it, and although we make fun of white Rap listeners a good deal, it's pretty noble of them to see value in these ideas beyond racial and social lines. Of course, you'll tell me how 50 Cent and Co. are all about the lifestyles of gun-toting misogynists, but you know there's a lot more to it than that.

Thats where you have to look at the other spectrum, they's alot of racist ass black folks out there too.. and the philosophy of rap is pretty basic... it's either A, sling dope fuck bitch, or B, keep ya head up, stay off welfare and help rise up... am I right? Just varies depending on the rapper... and for the one's who dont know where Rock came from, well thats their ignorance, and I'm pretty sure chuck berry and little richard, don't care wo buy's the album and what happens once they buy it, aslong as they get paid..lol.. great they are, but human they are aswell... and you dont stay around as little richard has just cause it's fun.. hell you can have fun in the bathroom man, but it just dont pay like being a rockstar does...

There are just as many people who relate to the lyrics in rock, so are you goin somewhere with this, or twat? I see rock, and most people I like to think see it, as just music man.. I don;t care if Leroy the white hatin black dude down the street likes rock.. it aint about ya color.. thats all i'm saying.. black white brown or red dude.. music isn't suppose dto have a color, and when you start grouping it that way you're making the divide between black's and white's even deeper

...of COURSE not!

Thats where you have to look at the other spectrum, they's alot of racist ass black folks out there too.. and the philosophy of rap is pretty basic... it's either A, sling dope fuck bitch, or B, keep ya head up, stay off welfare and help rise up... am I right? Just varies depending on the rapper... and for the one's who dont know where Rock came from, well thats their ignorance, and I'm pretty sure chuck berry and little richard, don't care wo buy's the album and what happens once they buy it, aslong as they get paid..lol.. great they are, but human they are aswell... and you dont stay around as little richard has just cause it's fun.. hell you can have fun in the bathroom man, but it just dont pay like being a rockstar does...

There are just as many people who relate to the lyrics in rock, so are you goin somewhere with this, or twat? I see rock, and most people I like to think see it, as just music man.. I don;t care if Leroy the white hatin black dude down the street likes rock.. it aint about ya color.. thats all i'm saying.. black white brown or red dude.. music isn't suppose dto have a color, and when you start grouping it that way you're making the divide between black's and white's even deeper

I don't particularly disagree with anything you are saying, race should certainly be meaningless in music. I just feel that it's unfortunate how the history and meaning of a lot of Rock music is misunderstood, that's all.

...of COURSE not!

I don't particularly disagree with anything you are saying, race should certainly be meaningless in music. I just feel that it's unfortunate how the history and meaning of a lot of Rock music is misunderstood, that's all.

agreed, but I think it's even more sad, that the fans of genre are missunderstood.. while I agree there are alot of ignorant rock fans who do stupid shit and say stupid shit.. but it goes both ways and it equales it's self out into nobodies favor... I know what ya mean about the vast majority of the people you live around.. I face the same shit all the time... but you have to know there's alot of fuckin smart people out there that listen to thsi shit and get the message and even more... but I think it's a shame your stereotypical rockfan is a mullet wearin, no t-shirt wearin cut off blue jeans shaggy hair lynard skynard lovin pickup drivin camper trailer dumbass... but for every one or two, there's alot of smart kid's out there, listening to heavy metal and rock, using is as a release for stress and anger..

...of COURSE not!

agreed, but I think it's even more sad, that the fans of genre are missunderstood.. while I agree there are alot of ignorant rock fans who do stupid shit and say stupid shit.. but it goes both ways and it equales it's self out into nobodies favor... I know what ya mean about the vast majority of the people you live around.. I face the same shit all the time... but you have to know there's alot of fuckin smart people out there that listen to thsi shit and get the message and even more... but I think it's a shame your stereotypical rockfan is a mullet wearin, no t-shirt wearin cut off blue jeans shaggy hair lynard skynard lovin pickup drivin camper trailer dumbass... but for every one or two, there's alot of smart kid's out there, listening to heavy metal and rock, using is as a release for stress and anger..

Agreed there, I don't deal in absolutes. I just think Rock suffers more from this than any other genre.

But on the same hand, Rap suffer's from the stereotypical juniorhigh drop out, gun carrying, broken english slurring, no shirt wearin, do-rag, cornrows stereotype's... And, I wouldnt say either has more or the other, it's about equal. the thing is, rock has been around for what, ever? Rap's been big since the 80's.. i'm not tryin to win an argumnent, just let you know I think it's a bit unfair, how you say rock has more ignorant and stupid fans who listen to them, when day after day you hear about T-bone shootin up lil-D, know what I mean? I wouldnt say rap has more ignorant fan's, (even though if i were a betting man..), and I wouldnt say rock fans are smarter, because I don;t know everybody on both sides.. but you say you see alot of stupid, ignorant rock fans, I see the samething in another genre, so maybe it's equal, maybe it's not... I don;t think anyone can say for sure, so let's leave it at that, I think on both sides of the spectrum, it balances it'self out....

What about Polka, huh? about them jerk-off's, we can bash them... nobody will care..lol

These topics always get out of context .. It always ends up in a rap against rock debate. The question was, What is rock n' roll to you?

Well, I can't say I don't mind these debates, since I've had three of them per weak since I first joined the forum. But it's nice to have discussions, that's what we're here for, anyway.

Well, to put my two cents in, rap and rock have got pretty much the same amount of fans. Sure, rap, and all of its little cousins, is the most fashionable at the moment; at parties you're more likely to listen to daddy yankee or whoever rather than led zeppelin or AC/DC. I think it's half half: One week, Roger Waters played at my town, and it got full. Two weeks later, Wisin y Yandel (reggaeton) played, and it got full as well. I don't know of anybody who went to both, though.

Finally, it is a difference in style, a difference in who you want to be. If you're a party man, you'll most likely be a rap man. If you are a musician, you will most likely like rock, obviously.

Judging people because of the music they listen to is really, really stupid.

What about Polka, huh? about them jerk-off's, we can bash them... nobody will care..lol

i happen to like Polka :P

I kind of like Polka too. There are far worse genres IMHO.

yeah, i'm sure it's cool for what it is.. never really listened to it much.. or ever for that matter.. I do like Irish drinking songs though.. even though i'm not a drinker.. or Irish...

I love rap when done right. I'd point y'alls in the right dirrection, but most of the rap I listen to is in Hebrew, so only me and a few other forumers would understand it.

As far as rock n roll, what does it matter? If music is good, call it whatever the hell you want. Enjoying music without labels? Now THAT is rock n roll.

I love rap when done right. I'd point y'alls in the right dirrection, but most of the rap I listen to is in Hebrew, so only me and a few other forumers would understand it.

As far as rock n roll, what does it matter? If music is good, call it whatever the hell you want. Enjoying music without labels? Now THAT is rock n roll.

Rap wouldnt sound bad at all if they'd put some guitar in it and i dont know, a drummer.. maybe even sing or scream.. there's a couple lil jon songs that I like, and I HATE rap music.. with every bit of my being I hate that shit.. anyway.. it's the ozzy remix of let's go, and another I cant find.. somebody told me the name of it was bitch stop fuckin wit me or stop fuckin wit me, something to teh affect.. but it has a cool ass guitar riff from like a megadeth song or something.. I cant quit place it yet..

Just another genre, with it's highs and lows, which unfortunately appeals to more stupid people than any other.

Says the guy who made a thread about Willie Nelson...

You come across as a music snob, the furthest thing from rock n' roll. The quote you gave reminds me of Wikipedia, you think you have the answers and facts, but just fall short.

Yehhawww.

Rap wouldnt sound bad at all if they'd put some guitar in it and i dont know, a drummer.. maybe even sing or scream.. there's a couple lil jon songs that I like, and I HATE rap music.. with every bit of my being I hate that shit.. anyway.. it's the ozzy remix of let's go, and another I cant find.. somebody told me the name of it was bitch stop fuckin wit me or stop fuckin wit me, something to teh affect.. but it has a cool ass guitar riff from like a megadeth song or something.. I cant quit place it yet..

This is a video I shot of Israel's top hip hop group when I saw them last. As you will notice, they really are a hiphop BAND.

Kanye is pretty tight, and I can dig a bit of some other artists. For the most poart, mainstream hiphop just doesn't do it for me. I love The Flobots and Foundation Movement, but I'm sure no one else here listens to either of those groups.